PDA

View Full Version : Whipple on a deck boat...

Essex29
04-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Will it fit...I mean under the hatch? It will be on a 540 and either a Conquest or Magic 28.
If anyone has any info on this please share.
Also, if you know what kind of performance this would yield ...share it.

OutCole'd
04-03-2004, 07:23 PM
I would contact the manufacturer, I am sure they have seen it all.

Ivan Dan
04-03-2004, 10:48 PM
I have a 496HO in my Magic and the engine hatch actually touches the plastic cover on the top of the motor just a tiny bit. I would say it is going to be pretty tight under there but I intend to do a whipple on mine at the end of this season anyways.

CEO
04-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Ivan, what is your top speed so far with your 496.
I got my rig to 70mph on the GPS with 6 people and 90 gallons of fuel. I have a 24 pitch, I am going to try a 26 pitch, but I will probably go with a labbed 25 when it's all said and done. I have to go alone and with less fuel and see what mine can do
Pat

BoatFloating
04-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by CEO
I got my rig to 70mph on the GPS with 6 people and 90 gallons of fuel. I have a 24 pitch, I am going to try a 26 pitch, but I will probably go with a labbed 25 when it's all said and done. I have to go alone and with less fuel and see what mine can do
Pat
It might be tough to turn that 26P with a full load and during the summer.
What RPM you running at 70mph? If anything I would say lab the 24P. 25P prop? What brand are you talking about? Merc doesn't have a 25P 4B in the Bravo series.
Grey Goose, you should be able to fit a Whipple under hatch if you tell them that that's your plan.

LAVEYSABRE575
04-04-2004, 10:26 AM
gregoose tell them what your doing and they can build your hatch higher for clearance, even if your doing it later build the hatch higher when the boats being built less headache and save some dough...derek

CEO
04-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
It might be tough to turn that 26P with a full load and during the summer.
What RPM you running at 70mph? If anything I would say lab the 24P. 25P prop? What brand are you talking about? Merc doesn't have a 25P 4B in the Bravo series.
Grey Goose, you should be able to fit a Whipple under hatch if you tell them that that's your plan.
I am at my rev limiter @5000rpm, I have throttle left.

BoatFloating
04-04-2004, 03:51 PM
The rev limter is 5150 on the 496. Thottle left doesn't always mean that there is power left. What I mean is there is play in the throttle so the difference is sometimes miniumal. When things get hotter it starts to rob rpms. What you run in April is not what you run in July. Try the 26 lab and make sure it gets yo up on plane quick and has good mid-range.

Ivan Dan
04-04-2004, 11:40 PM
CEO~ I've seen 70 with 4 people and about 40 gallons of fuel and full ice chests. Two weekends ago when it was warmer 95ish I had 6 people and about 50 gallons of fuel again full ice chests and I saw 66. I was thinking about having my prop labbed as well. What type of performance gains are you expecting by going with a lab prop? I've heard anywhere from 2-4 mph gain. What does it cost to have done? Anyone have any idea?
I thought the 496HO also was programmed to not allow you to hit the rev limiter in the first 20 hours!?!?! Is this true?
Originally posted by CEO
Pat

BoatFloating
04-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
CEO~ I've seen 70 with 4 people and about 40 gallons of fuel and full ice chests. Two weekends ago when it was warmer 95ish I had 6 people and about 50 gallons of fuel again full ice chests and I saw 66.
Ceo, that is my point the warmer the air the slower. And when water heats up same thing.
I was thinking about having my prop labbed as well. What type of performance gains are you expecting by going with a lab prop? I've heard anywhere from 2-4 mph gain. What does it cost to have done? Anyone have any idea?
You are looking at $250 - $600 depending on who does it.
I thought the 496HO also was programmed to not allow you to hit the rev limiter in the first 20 hours!?!?! Is this true?
I've never heard this and don't believe it's true.

mbrown2
04-05-2004, 08:24 AM
If it is EFI, it should only be approximately an inch higher than stock...it should fit..

welk2party
04-05-2004, 09:43 AM
My hatch touches the cover.
I get almost the same numbers as you Ivan. Wait until it gets really hot. I struggle to get over 65 with a 24p.

CustomCruiser
04-05-2004, 04:49 PM
I was thinking about having my prop labbed as well. What does it cost to have done?
The price for a new Bravo I at Teague Custom Marine is around $445. The labbed Bravo I props by Mercury Marine are approx $895. Other shops besides Merc will do lab finishing (blue printing), but the results seem to be inconsistent.

CEO
04-05-2004, 08:35 PM
"Ceo, that is my point the warmer the air the slower. And when water heats up same thing."
So you're saying get the numbers early and lie later?? lol
Well I got my motor hitting the limiter the 2nd day out. Well I guess the computer on board cut it off. I have always broke in anything that I drive the way I'm going to drive it. If that makes any sense.
All I know at 70, I can still hear the tunes perfect:D :D :D :D :D