PDA

View Full Version : Notching Stringers

BrendellaJet
04-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Been thinking about notching my stringers. Currently they are 1X6 full length. Id like to get the seats down a little lower. To preserve strength, would it be adviseable to add another stringer or two inbetween the two factory stringers? If any were added, they would be lower in height because of the v shaped hull...Whatcha think?

jet4fun
04-04-2004, 01:43 AM
personally i wouldnt do it...... but i have seen it done on some drag boats and what they did was make aluminum rails run the entire lenght of the stringers sandwiched on both sides for strength..... i dunno about a lake boat though, i would personally rather sit 3 inches higher knowing that my hull isnt gonna taco... but hey what the hell do i know

Unchained
04-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Notching the stringers is no problem with a tunnel hull.
I notched them on my old JJ Cheyenne and ordered the stringers notched on my new Stealth.
I've seen Eliminator Daytona's with notched stringers also.
I did run the motor mount angles all the way forward past the notch and have another angle on the other side of the stringer also. The seats are mounted to the angles.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/220DSC01916-med.JPG

HammerDown
04-04-2004, 05:38 AM
:idea2: Hmmmm, I also thought about notching the stringers on my 21 Daytona. But the current HEAVY DUTY Aluminum brackets under the seats mount to the tall stringers.:rolleyes:

miketsouth
04-04-2004, 06:20 AM
I noticed how high i sat. I want to notch the stringers but looking at how small they are, i just dont know. 1x3.5 aint too much stringer.
I am thinking that the vertical surfaces of the tunnel do much like the stringer. I am working on the center mounted gas tank now. It is built like a structural member. 6x8x72 and 1/8 aluminum with baffles. If i can find a way to include it into the structure without stressing anyting i will.
mikeT

HammerDown
04-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by miketsouth
I noticed how high i sat. I want to notch the stringers but looking at how small they are, i just dont know. 1x3.5 aint too much stringer.
I am thinking that the vertical surfaces of the tunnel do much like the stringer. I am working on the center mounted gas tank now. It is built like a structural member. 6x8x72 and 1/8 aluminum with baffles. If i can find a way to include it into the structure without stressing anyting i will.
mikeT
Look here PeeWee, if anything YOU need to be sitting on some Phone Books!:D

miketsouth
04-04-2004, 06:42 AM
They dont call me pee wee because of my height, Bro. Why do you think i did not join the checkered festivities at the 'wild cherry'. That'd been like putting a SB in a PF.
mikeT

BrendellaJet
04-04-2004, 07:11 AM
You guys aren't helping, I wanted you all to agree with me!:cool:
Im thinking if I used the rails on the existing stringers, and added some new stringers(1 or 2), it just might work. Thats a lot of work though, maybe Ill change my seat design.

Liberator TJ1984
04-04-2004, 07:14 AM
The stringers in my 19' Liberator are the same as Unchained's. As long as you Glass them back over fairly good I would not suspect any problem:confused:

BigBoyToys
04-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Personally, I'd go ahead and do it but I'm thinking that I would lay some carbon fiber or Kevlar over it after it was notched..... Just for peace of mind.:)

1Bahnerjet
04-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Sittin' Tall does have an Advantage.
If you get Tossed Out your less Likely to Tango with the Dash or Gunnels. ;)

BrendellaJet
04-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
Of course that is always a concern, however I have been told by a reputable individual that my hull design will go straight on shut down. Of course I dont want to find out...
Im not looking to trim 4 inches or anything, 2 at most.

Cs19
04-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
Good Point Bahner.
Brendella, you can probably notch them and get away with it. If you look at all the boats that have notched stringers, they are usually the thick stringers.Keep re-sale value in mind too. I would certainly think twice about buying a boat thats had cut down 1" stringers.
How about this guy's lowrider seating. :eek:
http://dragboats.com/gallery/images/03_11_NJBA_3896_636.jpg

jet4fun
04-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by cs19
How about this guy's lowrider seating. :eek:
this boat is a center-steer. and the seat is actually sunken down into the center pod... he didnt get that low on top of a cut down stringer

moneysucker
04-06-2004, 01:33 PM
My southwind has 1x4 stringers. If you are worried about it, Add some polished aluminum flat strap 1/4 thick to each side. This will provide way more strength than the wood did.
Cy

Bense468
04-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Personally I would rather sit higher. That guy just looks stupid sitting that low in that boat. I would not want to be found under the deck in a crash. Or brake both my legs in an event something happens.
This is a better way to be sitting.
http://dragboats.com/gallery/images/03_11_NJBA_3703_766.jpg
And for anyone that say well you sit high in a flat.
http://dragboats.com/gallery/images/03_11_NJBA_3758_972.jpg