PDA

View Full Version : Security Screen Door

Cole Sanger
04-06-2004, 02:22 PM
While I am on a posting kick today, I thought I would ask if anyone can recommend a place to install a security screen door on my front door. I have called all these places, but I get a different story from everyone on what I will need. I don't want to wait to schedule 10 people to come out and give me quotes. I talked with the people at Home Depot and Lowes, and they are really bad on all the stuff you have to buy from them. I live in the east valley if that helps.

harleypauls
04-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Cole, I am an ornamental liscensed contractor, an I have installed several security doors. It is a very easy project, one that most anyone can do themselves. All you need to do is to take the measurements of the door to a welding shop and they can give you a price for just selling you the door, or they can give you an installed price. Honestly though, the doors that you get at Home Depot or Lowe's anr basically the same door if you can find one in a style that you like. The attachment of the door to the frame is usually 6 or 8 screws with one way heads on them..ie. you can't screw them back out without the proper tool. I charge about $200.00 for the basic doors that I fabricate, and another $75.00 for the install. I use a heavier guage steel than the less expensive ones a the stores. Hit me back if this doesn't help, and I will see if I can help further. Paul:cool:

Cole Sanger
04-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I have not had an estimate over the phone for less than 450 installed for a basic design. I have thought about doing it myself, but with all the half ass unfinished projects I have done, let's just say the wife would freak if I said I were going to start a project on the front door where all the neighbors could see. I keep hearing about a kick panel, and then the locks are extra, you name it, it is extra.

harleypauls
04-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Typically what I have found is the welding shops, atleast around SoCal, they quote you one price if you are on the phone, but if you show up in person, with the dimensions, they are more willing to give you a better price. They know that you are definitely going to get one so they are more willing to work with you. It may be diferent in your area because there is less competition. Paul