PDA

View Full Version : bbc blown alky cam dr. (3-gear or jesel belt)?

badbug
01-26-2003, 06:50 PM
whats your opinion for driving the camshaft and injector pump off the cam. Would a 3-gear type with integral gear(milodon,KB, donovan) be better than a jesel belt? I plan to do a lot of lake running and racing and need opinions. Im kind of afraid of the belt breaking and dont like the harmonics produced from the gear drives, if that is absolutely true anyway. Only what i have heard. I definitely dont want to run a pete jackson due to the large amount of back lash in valve train if i remember correctly. What do you think? thanks gary

Fiat48
01-26-2003, 07:02 PM
I have run an injector pump off the front of a Jessel belt drive with no problems at all. But if you go blown and want to run a "Kuhl" type water pump and injector pump off the Jessel, I'd be afraid that would be too much and would make me nervous.
As for the Pete jackson drive, I am trying one now, have not run it yet. The backlash should not mean anything as the valvetrain will load the cam, but I'll be watching that.
And while I am it..just a note. A Summers Brothers gear drive won't fit a Dart Maskin block. That's why the Jackson after I stretched the hell out of a Cloyes true roller chain in 3 runs. :mad:

Clown
01-26-2003, 07:28 PM
I've Run a Jesel belt for the past FIVE years
and Knock on wood have not had any problems
I have changed the belt once thow just because I was scared I had alot of time on it!
I also streched a Cloyes True roller Chain on this motor And that is what made me put the Jesel on in the first place.
Evan thow I dont't run the kind of cylinder pressure you do , I believe the Jesel Belt is a good choice.
[ January 26, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Clown ]

GofastRacer
01-26-2003, 08:43 PM
I been running a Jackson for over 15 years and it still looks like it just came out of the box!. I'll never go back to a chain!!, got too many souveneers!. I don't understand the concern about backlash?. Put a new chain on and it's tight on both sides, make one good hard pass and take a look at it, all kinds of stretch!(backlash). Now think about it, you just degreed your cam at X with the new chain. After that first pass and all that stretch, where is your cam now???, and the more you run it, the more stretch, that means more retard on the cam!!. With a gear drive, there is no stretch and cam timing stays the same!. As far as a Jackson goes, I've only used it on a 700 lift max cam aspirated motor, don't know how it would hold up under a max effort motor??. Still gotta be better than a chain!, I would think!.. BTW, Cloyes is JUNK!!!....

Fiat48
01-26-2003, 09:33 PM
I ran the Cloyes and still have them on 2 other race motors and they are as tight as the day I installed them. But, something happened in the last couple years with Cloyes and quality, because the recent one I did on my own motor stretched like crazy. So they don't get a 2nd chance from me.

hulshot
01-27-2003, 01:07 AM
I just took off my true double roller from cloytes and there was so much slop in it, at least 2 degrees. I am now putting on a new jessel belt drive, I want to be able to adjust the cam timing if need and it looks bitchen.

bkegan
02-05-2003, 06:39 PM
I've been running a Jesel belt on my blown small block for the past 2 seasons. No stretch and no problems whatsoever.
My engine builder claims that no motor running a jesel belt drive has EVER broken or stretched a belt in competition or otherwise.

blowngas
02-18-2003, 01:38 PM
badbug:
whats your opinion for driving the camshaft and injector pump off the cam. Would a 3-gear type with integral gear(milodon,KB, donovan) be better than a jesel belt? I plan to do a lot of lake running and racing and need opinions. Im kind of afraid of the belt breaking and dont like the harmonics produced from the gear drives, if that is absolutely true anyway. Only what i have heard. I definitely dont want to run a pete jackson due to the large amount of back lash in valve train if i remember correctly. What do you think? thanks gary I'm a user of milodon single gear drives--run them on blown motors with single pump up to now---am building one that will drive a sitko offset pump/mag drive -- since they have gone up in price, they are still cheaper than belt drives and you can still access cam easily and fool with cam timing if you really know what your doing---

blowngas
02-18-2003, 01:40 PM
blowngas:
badbug:
whats your opinion for driving the camshaft and injector pump off the cam. Would a 3-gear type with integral gear(milodon,KB, donovan) be better than a jesel belt? I plan to do a lot of lake running and racing and need opinions. Im kind of afraid of the belt breaking and dont like the harmonics produced from the gear drives, if that is absolutely true anyway. Only what i have heard. I definitely dont want to run a pete jackson due to the large amount of back lash in valve train if i remember correctly. What do you think? thanks gary I'm a user of milodon single gear drives--run them on blown motors with single pump up to now---am building one that will drive a sitko offset pump/mag drive -- since they have gone up in price, they are still cheaper than belt drives and you can still access cam easily and fool with cam timing if you really know what your doing--- guess I should have said single idler--or three gear setup

GofastRacer
02-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Jackson's are great for general use, but if you're going to run a water pump and fuel pump off the cam on a max effort motor, especially with a blower, use a gear drive with a fixed idler!, just my .02!.. :rolleyes: