PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Suggestions - Got Any?

MagicMtnDan
04-07-2004, 05:24 AM
I need to improve the floor in my two-car garage and am looking for suggestions. Do the paint kits they sell at Home Depot/Lowes work (hold up)? Are they worth the money? Any other choices besides painting? Thanks

Essex502
04-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Check out Griots Garage:
Griots Garage Flooring (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_3000&L2=L2_3080&L3=L3_3080)

SDLifesaver
04-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Ask Mandelon when he gets back from Havasu on Friday. He is a contractor that is into doing custom garages. He is doing a re-model at our house now and an epoxy floor is in our near future.

NashvilleBound
04-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Whatever you do don't use the garage floor paint from Home Desperate. It eals right up when you turn your tires on it. Go to your local paint store and get something good...deck paint and PRIMER. Or for about the same price get the black and white floor tiles and spend a weekend doing that.
NB

waterslinger
04-07-2004, 06:50 AM
I used Dutch Boy from big K (no joke) oil base drive way paint
held up real nice for 4 years. (moved) Floor jack did not hurt it.
New house used water base @#$%^&*( Bad Idea.

Tom Brown
04-07-2004, 06:54 AM
gel coat http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

HCS
04-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
gel coat http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
Might be a little slippery, but that's a good idea.:idea2:

Tom Brown
04-07-2004, 07:09 AM
It will be extremely slippery after it's wet sanded to 4000 grit and then buffed out. To solve that, just throw down some cement dust.

Cas
04-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Just about anything you put on "top" can possibly peal but as in any covering, it's mostly in the prep work. Concrete is pourous so there's a lot of dirt, grease, oil, grime and possibly moisture that needs to be cleaned out real good. A good hot water blasting usually works real well but it then needs to dry out.
The surfaces I've put done for different customers include painting, staining, epoxy sealant, epoxy with pebbles (really cool but real expensive), linoleum, tile, carpet and most recently a product called Deck 70. Deck 70 is used on roofs, tennis courts, basketball courts (outside) and is a pretty good product but I personally think it's a bit too non skid.
What you might consider is a real good hot water blasting and then just a simple clear sealant with a little color pigment in it.

Floatin'
04-07-2004, 07:37 AM
This company does some good work but they aren't cheap.
www.thegaragepeople.com

HCS
04-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Personally I like something slippery like gell coat. Clean up is easy.
And that way when your on your back working on your car you
can slide around real easy.:D

RiverToysJas
04-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
Whatever you do don't use the garage floor paint from Home Desperate. It eals right up when you turn your tires on it.
You put cars in your garage? :eek: No wonder you have to leave California!!! ;)
RTJas :D

Waldo
04-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Who has done a "checkerboard" pattern in their garages???
I'm thinking of doing this but was wondering what is being used...linoleum or other really expensive "snap-in type" tiles???
How well does linoleum hold up?
Thanks.

SandMan_Mike
04-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Anderson Resurfacing & Coating Solutions LLC is the distributor for Arizona and New Mexico and offers an unbelieveable Liquid Granite Epoxy system. www.deckcoatings.com
Good Luck

Screaming Pete
04-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Waldo
I'm thinking of doing this but was wondering what is being used...linoleum or other really expensive "snap-in type" tiles???
Thanks.
I did the snap in tiles looks real good I have to mop it about every 3 weeks I did silver and tan 2 foot squares and it only took about 4 hours total with all trim work about 3 bucks a square ft

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-07-2004, 08:25 AM
I say cement stain. ;)

al cole'holic
04-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I have used the garage paints from HD on a few floors with very good results. It is cheap to do and the end result is worth it in my opinion. Be sure to use plenty of muriatic acid (from a good pool supply) first with a nice stiff push broom as a scrub brush, this is the crucial step to start with. Then a couple of coats of the floor paint with a roller and that's it :D
Of course you could get some linoleum black and white tiles too...

coolchange
04-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Anybody put coatings on a garage floor that wasn't a living room for a car or boat? Anything that will stand up to some abuse like spilled adhesive-resin, dropped cut-offs or welding slag?

Jordy
04-07-2004, 10:11 AM
You could always have it painted to match your boat... Oops. My bad. :rolleyes: :D

RiverToysJas
04-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
You could always have it painted to match your boat... Oops. My bad. :rolleyes: :D
Or an old Prop box! ;)
LMAO!
RTJas :D

hot_diggity_dog
04-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Waldo
Thanks.
I did a 2'x2' checker pattern using 12"x12" VCT tiles (Vinyl composition tiles), they are the same 1/8" thick solid tiles you see in you grocery store.
If you maintain it and keep it buffed and waxed it will last forever.
If you damage a tile or two just replace them as needed.
Price installed it about $1.05 SF materials are around $50.00 a box of 45 tiles.
Here's a picture , not the greatest!
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/MVC-036S.JPG

XTRM22
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
I've done several floors with the Behr brand epoxy paint from Home Depot, and it's held up well for me. You do have to prep the concrete to make it stick, and stay off it long enough to let it cure. Plus if it starts looking a little nasty after 2-3 years, you can clean it good and lay down another coat. It really keeps down the dust.
Chuck :)

slowinhavasu
04-07-2004, 08:37 PM
heres mine, lots and lots of prep to get the floor flat, thes type of tile will show everything under it....

slowinhavasu
04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
another..

Boozer
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Just lay down a thick layer of carboard. Go tot he local store and steal bunch of bozes from the back. Duct tape the things together if you want them to look pretty then just spray paint each one a different color. Total cost will be under $40. When they get destroyed in a year just redo it.

Boatmaster
04-07-2004, 08:50 PM
VCT tile from home depot .59cents a square. Looks great and holds up well. Very easy to install too.

repo man
04-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Whatever you do don't use the garage floor paint from Home Desperate. It eals right up when you turn your tires on it. Go to your local paint store and get something good...deck paint and PRIMER. Or for about the same price get the black and white floor tiles and spend a weekend doing that.
NB
black&white tile is the shit

TOBTEK
04-07-2004, 11:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135cart_009-med.jpg
here is my garage. The epoxy floor looks pimp "IF" you only park toys/cars on it..........
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135cartpics_016-med.jpg
"IF" you have any kind of project going on, you have to cover it up.....LIKE SO ABOVE..... really sucks to "JACK UP" a $2000.00 floor:eek: wifey really likes one half of ours that has a non-shine because I didnt cover it when i cleared the motor cowl....oooops!:rolleyes:

Woodster
04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
I do epoxy garage coatings for a living..Let me know if u have any questions:)

Daytona19
04-08-2004, 01:36 AM
This floor is done by race deck. I did the whole thing in 5 hours and really like the end result. This floor had cracks some large & small and painting would never cover them, but this floor floats on top of existing floor and covers cracks while looking good.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg

sleekster
04-08-2004, 06:16 AM
i used a product from U-COAT IT i saw them on hotrod tv. they have a wb site also, anyways it works great and they offer several colors and sheens, also what ever coating you decide to go with you must acid wash the floor at least, preferably shot peen it, and use silica sand in the top coat for traction. good luck oh yeah i have a 24x28 and it cost me 450.00 last year.

Floatin'
06-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Daytona19
This floor is done by race deck. I did the whole thing in 5 hours and really like the end result. This floor had cracks some large & small and painting would never cover them, but this floor floats on top of existing floor and covers cracks while looking good.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg
How much are the tiles per sq.ft. ? Are they easy to install ?

NorCalCat
06-21-2004, 02:57 PM
NB
I used this and it held up great. About 3 yrs on it. Still looks great. Spil oil and whioe it up with a final spray of 409, you are set. Maybe there was something on the concreat before you painted it.
It is cheap too.

ROZ
06-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
http://www.riverratlife.com/uploads/hdd/MVC-036S.JPG Is that a Heinikin on the bumper? :D :confused: :D

Mandelon
06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Save the money and use it towards the downpayment on a boat. :D
All good options. How long do you plan on being in the house?
I think HDD has the best value with the VCT's. They are cheap, less than a $1. a foot, easy to put down and don't require that much prep.
The epoxies are a 5 day process and can run up to $4.50 a foot. They do look nice, but as Tobtek said you need to cover them.
I like the diamond plate looking tile too....you could always lift it up and take it with you to the next house too......

waterboy
06-21-2004, 05:40 PM
when i bought my house it had office like carpet i was going to pull it out and put in vct tiles , but i didnt and wouldnt have anything else i love it i vacuum it once a week.:D

burtandnancy
06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
We used industrial tiles, they were on sale for a lot less per sq ft than a good epoxy paint. Found some laborer who put it down for very few $. Zero maintenance, never cracked, but I did drop a wrench on it once and put in a small chip. Wash the boat on it only barefooted, shower thongs are too slippery.
Since then, I've had friends put in the checkered plastic, it looks great, but is very pricey...

mtndewdrops
06-21-2004, 07:15 PM
If you plan on staying put for a while I would hire out for a good epoxy job. Remember it is all about the prep work.

Jrocket
06-21-2004, 07:18 PM
NO MORE CHECKERS :D

hot_diggity_dog
06-22-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Is that a Heinikin on the bumper? :D :confused: :D
Good Eye my friend!;) :D
HDD:cool: