PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta Water in gear oil!

LHC Kirby
04-07-2004, 07:58 AM
OK, so last trip out i changed the gear oil in the outdrive. According to instructions, they suggested you leave the dipstick out for a while and let the air escape!
well - I did leave it in, but not screwed down. came back two weeks later for the first trip of the season, loading up and had a great day.
Except for the brakes (see other post). at the end of the day the boat would not go in to forward - i would shift into forward and it would take awhile to catch the gears. When I got back to house, I had white fluid all over the outdrive!
You guessed it, i never screwed in the dipstick:frown: So, I drained the white gear oil last night and need advice on how to "clean the rest of it out". I think - re-fill and run for a 5 minutes and drain and re-fill again.
any other suggestions - needless to say two posts after 1 day on the lake is real bummer

mirvin
04-07-2004, 07:59 PM
I betcha'll be alright. Maybe flush it a few times. What drive is it?
I just found gas in my motor oil:( ;)
mirvin

LHC Kirby
04-07-2004, 09:44 PM
dpx - flushed once with lube oil $$$$ and than with solvent and than with oil again $$$ - filled and looks good. will be back on the water in the AM.:D

slotman7777
04-10-2004, 05:37 PM
I have a 500 dpx and outdirve for sale if you are interested. Great price. I have puchased a new 600 dpx and need to sell. Props also at a great price. Slotman7777@aol.com if interested