PDA

View Full Version : Message for Flat Broke

jtham
04-07-2004, 03:05 PM
I appreciated your comments about me looking to buy a Hawaiin. My brother told me the same thing. I knew right when I looked at it that it wasn't made as well as the Rogers I had. It was more like a thin Cheetah style Hull. Challenger, Hallet, Eliminator, Rogers, Kona, all seem to be sturdy hulls.
I guess I just got excited buying from the original owner and I was sold on the new modern color gel coat.
Anyway, I went back today, and it didn't look as good as Monday. First, and I'm surprised I didn't see this, there were only motor mount stringers, no full stringers. When I test drove it, it had an exhaust leak, wouldn't idle, and the bow bounced around way too freely.
The owner wanted $6250. I got him down to 5250. But I was afraid of engine work coming up since it has 600 hours with nothing done to it. STILL HAS POINTS DIST!
Needless to say, I passed on this boat and went and looked at a new Carrerra Eclipse. I appreciated your advice and it made me think twice. I feel good not buying it. Someone will buy it at the $6000. price because it looks almost new. Thanks again. Jay

Danhercules
04-07-2004, 03:22 PM
There are some real good peeps on this board!!!

aztommy
04-07-2004, 03:59 PM
check my boat out it !!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing needs to be done!!!! look at the post boat for sale just put it to the top again need $$$$$ 7000.00 buys it

flat broke
04-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Jay,
No need to thank me. Its something I wish others would do more often. The problem is that most people have given that type of advice in the past and usually the perspective buyer takes it as a put down rather than usefull information that could save them a lot of headaches and money.
The best advice anyone can give you about buying a boat is make sure what you buy suits what you want to do with the boat. If you want to go to Havasu and bigger lakes on a regular basis, make sure you're looking at a 20' plus boat with a little more freeboard than your average 18-19' river rod. However if going fast (or moderately fast since the bar has been raised significantly in the past 18 months around here :) ) with a jet for use on the river or other smooth water and in shallower waters without concern of dragging your running gear over rocks and sandbars is what you are after, you touched on a couple good makes.
I am sending you a PM in response to your other question in a couple of minutes.
Talk to you later,
Chris

moneysucker
04-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
There are some real good peeps on this board!!!
WHERE!? JK. That is good that you avoided buying a potential head ache. I have been dazzled with BS and aesthetics and bought something that looked great but was a piece of crap.
Cy

jtham
04-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I don't take any advice as a put down. I'm 43 years old and have had boats most of my adult life. I've had two new Commanders and old jet boats. I've had outboards and sterndrives. I ask for member's advice because i'm no expert and I'm always leary about buying used boats.
I'm extremely attracted to older 70's style jet boats now, and need sound advice on what was good makes.
ALL ADVICE GIVEN IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATED WEATHER IT SOUNDS SARCASTIC, RUDE OR OTHERWISE.
tHANKS AGAIN. JAY