PDA

View Full Version : high rpms

kgeeeee
08-16-2002, 08:32 AM
I have a big block chevy blown with two 850 holleys. When she is cold my rpms run around 1200. When I put it in gear I lose 200 rpms. Now the point, when I run around the lake and back off the throttle the engine idles around 1700 rpm. I cannot get it back to 1200, until the engine starts cooling down. Normal with blower motors or not? :confused:

Liberator TJ1984
08-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Not Normal !! I got the same carbs on a 8/71 454 mild roller cam... idles same hot or cold ...hope someone can figure it out for ya... :confused:

Heatseeker
08-16-2002, 03:32 PM
I agree with LTJ. Not normal. I run a similar set-up and I've never experienced that problem with it. Let us know what you find, because that sounds really odd to me.

Hotcrusader76
08-16-2002, 03:46 PM
kgeeeee:
I have a big block chevy blown with two 850 holleys. When she is cold my rpms run around 1200. When I put it in gear I lose 200 rpms. Now the point, when I run around the lake and back off the throttle the engine idles around 1700 rpm. I cannot get it back to 1200, until the engine starts cooling down. Normal with blower motors or not? :confused: First off...when the motor has a load on it (putting it in gear) your vacuum signal changes, pulling less fuel out of the curb idle holes, lowering your idle RPM by 2-300RPM's (normal)
Then when you drive her around and come off speed, the idle will not come off 1700 because your primary throttle shaft or linkage set-up is not returning the shaft back to the closed position(idle).
Ensure you have free movement and a flawless (not loose) carb linkage set-up and that the "back-up" return spring (you have to add that peice) is installed to return your shaft/s to closed position so it can idle normal again.
Call me if you need to, I would love to help you out over the phone.
-Ty
[ August 16, 2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]