PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit or body lift??

Ultracrazy
04-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I know this is the wrong venvue.........but I like it here :-)
My wife has a 2004 Chevy Suburban she wants lifted......but.....she does not want it to ride any different (she hates my F250 4X4). What is the difference between the body lift and a full lift kit? She wants to go about 3 inchs high (she a short little thing).
Thanks

MagicMtnDan
04-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Suspension lift lifts the truck via raising up the suspension. A body lift raises only the body via spacers installed between the frame and the body. A suspension lift is typically 6" tall while the body lift is usually about 3".
I don't recommend a body lift at all - the suspension lift is more expensive and a better solution but many go with body lifts to save money. There are issues with the body lift - it will raise the body up above other suspension-mounted components which can be an esthetic problem. For example, the tow hitch typically will be 3" below the body.

AdrenelineOD
04-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I hate the body lift. Your driving the same clearance but now your top heavy. Large tires will make a bouncy ride no matter what you do. Stock tire on any lift looks redicules. I have 40" tires on a 6" lift I`ll cut the fenders for off road. :cool:

Ultracrazy
04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Will the suspension lift change the ride? It's a 2X4 and she doesn't want to change the ride. I heard Rancho makes a good 4 inch lift.

LUVNLIFE
04-09-2004, 06:48 PM
We put a six inch RCD on our Chevy. The ride did not change at all, real impressive, it rides like stock.

Ultracrazy
04-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Luvin
What's a RCD??

Dr. Eagle
04-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Body lifts suck........(IMO).........:p

Ultracrazy
04-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Okee.......no body lift.........now........lets talk about the best lift kits. Can't be to tall for the little women......3 inch? 4inch? Types??

Dr. Eagle
04-09-2004, 07:18 PM
I haven't lifted my suburban because of the Autoride, but I did lift my jeep with a 3" Rancho Kit with the RS 9000 adjustable gas shocks. I have been pretty happy with it...

K9Blitz
04-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Check out www.custommotorsports.com They did a 6" Fab Tech lift on my Tahoe and did an excellent job. Fair prices too.
They could probably hook you up with a smokin deal on a lift kit for Geo Metro she makes you drive. Their website should have more info.

Cole Sanger
04-09-2004, 08:32 PM
My wife loves to drive my 99 Suburban. I have a 6" Superlift with nurf bars. Make's getting in no problem. My wife is 5'2". So unless your wife is shorter, tell her it is not a problem. After a month, you will feel like it is stock height, so a 3" lift will feel like a lot of money wasted. I am tired of people pulling up next to me in something bigger. Happens almost everyday. Go bigger. The ride is the same if you ask me. Matter of fact, I want to get double shock hoops if I keep this suburban (SPAM...It's for sale) because it does have some nose dive when I brake hard. Good Luck.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/643Suburban.JPG

Kachina26
04-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Ultracrazy
I know this is the wrong venvue.........but I like it here :-)
What is the difference between the body lift and a full lift kit?
Thanks Suspension lift screws up the ride (and sometimes the driveline geometry) body lift screws up everything else. But what other answer do you expect from a dealership mechanic?

Dr. Eagle
04-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Suspension lift screws up the ride (and sometimes the driveline geometry) body lift screws up everything else. But what other answer do you expect from a dealership mechanic?
I have to be honest. I think some of the trucks I have been seeing in southern california since I have been working down there look silly. Some look really clean. Higher is not always better, IMHO. A nice moderate lift is cool, with moderately larger tires. But when it turns into 8" lifts and 35" tires it is too much for my tastes.
That is why I went with a 3" lift on the jeep. My son had a 6" on his and I just thought it looked silly. I got my 3" lift and my tires were one inch less in both dimensions than my sons. The Jeep looks great without being overstated. But it is like everything else... whatever floats your boat...:D

JetBoatRich
04-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
it rides like stock.
That's to bad;)
j/k
Truck loks great:cool:

Quality Time
04-10-2004, 08:35 AM
I put a 6" RCD on my 2003 2500HD. I feel that it has a better ride over stock. She will not be disappointed.

Dr. Eagle
04-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Quality Time
I put a 6" RCD on my 2003 2500HD. I feel that it has a better ride over stock. She will not be disappointed.
Funny you should say that, I felt the same way about my 3" lift on the Jeep Wrangler. I guess maybe it is the additional suspension travel...:confused: Regardless, I noticed the same thing.

riverbound
04-10-2004, 09:04 AM
If you do a suspension lift make sure to buy good shocks and the ride will be nice. I put bilsteins on my f350 and with a 6" lift and it rides better than stock. I did have a 3" in my expedition and it rode the same as stock.

Dr. Eagle
04-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah, that might be it. I got the Rancho RS 9000 adjustable gas shocks, they were pretty spendy, but well worth the money.:)

SCLB41
04-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Ultra,
I just did a bunch of research on this because I want to lift my 2000 Sub 4x4. I am going with the 6" RCD lift on 315/70/R17 BFG's. Its a nice kit and comes with Bilstein shocks. You will get a lot of different opinions on which lifts are best, you just have to choose for yourself. The 6-8" CST lift seems to be the best, but is also more $$. With the RCD, there will be some minor plastic trimming for the 315's, but thats about it. Check out performancelifts.com, outlawoffroad.com or any other off-road website, they usually have gallerys where you can see different lifts on different veh's.