PDA

View Full Version : WTF: Both Headlights stopped working but brights work fine.

probablecause
03-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Ok mechanic gurus here is my problem: 1999 Suburban 2500 6.5L Turbo Diesel: Both my headlights just stopped working except for the brights (when I switch to them). I believe in coincidences but this is over the top. Any suggestions?

Kilrtoy
03-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Sell it and get a new one, that should about fix the problem...
How are you guys, Long time no chat

probablecause
03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Did you get my voice mail on your cell the other day? Did they hold you over for tomorrow's event?

ROZ
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Any other lights not work? It could be the whole combination switch... (wiper/lights w/ blinkers on the other side of the column)

Tom Brown
03-30-2006, 08:00 PM
The dimmer switch or low beam relay is gone.

probablecause
03-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Any other lights not work? It could be the whole combination switch... (wiper/lights w/ blinkers on the other side of the column)
Every light works fine, just both low beams.

probablecause
03-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Any idea where either one of those is located?

YeLLowBoaT
03-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Well i would bet there is a relay some where ( or combo unit) assuming you don't have a wire that got cut/chafted. do you get power too the lights.
I also have to ask are you sure that the bulbs are good? I know dumb Q , but I have seen both lights go out at the same time.

probablecause
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Well i would bet there is a relay some where ( or combo unit) assuming you don't have a wire that got cut/chafted. do you get power too the lights.I also have to ask are you sure that the bulbs are good? I know dumb Q , but I have seen both lights go out at the same time.
They are combo headlights. The brights work fine on each set. I just can't believe that both would stop working today.

HOT ROD HOOLIGAN
03-31-2006, 06:47 AM
It could be a problem with the multi-function switch,it's inside the steering column,kind of a pain in the ass.

24sleekenforcer
03-31-2006, 07:15 AM
It is probly the low beam relay ,It in the lower acc block on the fire wall next to the park brake, relay is by the turn signal flasher on the block. I would try that first.

HOT ROD HOOLIGAN
03-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Check the bulbs first and foremost.

uvindex
03-31-2006, 08:43 AM
How come no one has suggested checking a fuse and/or fusible link? Aren't headlight circuits protected by means of a fuse or fusible link? :)

scarabrick2
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM
release the parking brake!!!!!
Or check the e brake switch. I know when the brake is applied the lights don't work. maybe I'm wrong but ?

uvindex
03-31-2006, 09:18 AM
release the parking brake!!!!!
Or check the e brake switch. I know when the brake is applied the lights don't work. maybe I'm wrong but ?It's the daytime running lights (DRLs) that shut off when the parking brake is engaged, not the low beams. :)

ThongMagnet
03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
1)replace one bulb
2)Check fuses
If none of this works either
1)Run with the brights on all the time
2)Take it to the chevy garage and let them fock the rest of the electrical up.
3)Blame you kids

Ziggy
03-31-2006, 12:33 PM
bulbs, fuse(s), relay, switch........in that order.

probablecause
03-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok, how do I get the grille off of this P.O.S.! I can't check the bulbs without doing that or can I? I removed all of the screws but there is something on the bottom that it is hanging on. Do I have to remove the cowling underneath to get to some magical clips?

uvindex
03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Ok, how do I get the grille off of this P.O.S.! I can't check the bulbs without doing that or can I? I removed all of the screws but there is something on the bottom that it is hanging on. Do I have to remove the cowling underneath to get to some magical clips?Despite the advice from others to check the bulbs before the fuse, I kind of favor checking the easiest and most likely cause first: the fuse and/or fusible link. :) Fuse will be in the fuse block, of course. I don't know if your 'Burban has a fusible link for the headlights or not (I can go look at my 2004, which may or may not be like the '99, if you'd like). In any case, fusible links are typically in the engine compartment and often near the battery.
Good luck!

ratso
03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Ok, how do I get the grille off of this P.O.S.! I can't check the bulbs without doing that or can I? I removed all of the screws but there is something on the bottom that it is hanging on. Do I have to remove the cowling underneath to get to some magical clips?
There are a couple of plastic tabs that snap in at the bottom of the grille. Should come loose after that.

uvindex
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Please, for the love of God, before you go disassembling your grille check your fuses. :)
Just checked the fuse block in my '04 Suburban -- it has individual fuses for HDLAMP-LOW and HDLAMP-HI. So, if your HDLAMP-LOW fuse was blown, it would explain why your lows don't work but your highs do. :)

probablecause
03-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Please, for the love of God, before you go disassembling your grille check your fuses. :)
Just checked the fuse block in my '04 Suburban -- it has individual fuses for HDLAMP-LOW and HDLAMP-HI. So, if your HDLAMP-LOW fuse was blown, it would explain why your lows don't work but your highs do. :)
Already did that. First thing I checked. Can't check the bulbs until I remove the grille

Tom Brown
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Any idea where either one of those is located?
Nope. I had the identical problem. It was the dimmer switch. It was a 1970 Dodge Challenger with the dimmer switch on the floor so it replaced with two screws.
On the challenger, it was right beside the foot operated windshield washer fluid pump. :D

uvindex
03-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Already did that. First thing I checked.OK. It would have helped to have had that info earlier. Good luck.

probablecause
03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
OK. It would have helped to have had that info earlier. Good luck.
I would not have been granted access to the boards had I not done that.

Kachina26
03-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Don't pull the grill, the lamps come out when you remove 2 7/32's screws on top. Read the owners manual, it has some real nifty instructions on this stuff.

Oldsquirt
03-31-2006, 06:27 PM
.....Read the owners manual, it has some real nifty instructions on this stuff.
C'mon now. You know that that's the first thing to get tossed by a new vehicle owner. Gotta save weight and make room for more cd's in the glovebox..... :D
If I had I only had a dollar for everytime I've told a customer, "all the info on how to operate (fill in the blank) is in your owner's manual"........only to be met with a blank stare.....