PDA

View Full Version : 28ft Howard Bullet vs 29ft Magic Wizard

SummerBreeze
04-10-2004, 07:18 AM
I am looking at a new boat this season. I was hoping to get some info. on these two boats.
Cost
Performance
Interior quality
Customer service
Resale value
Weight (Magic is 4400 lbs dry)
I have looked at the Magic Wizard but have not test driven these boats.
The Howard bullet a have only seen in pictures. From pictures it looks like the free board is less on the Howard than the Magic. The only concern would be the under cabin head room with the Howard
I need to get the 525 Mer. EFI with these boats I like to boat at Lake Tahoe. With the elavation being at 6200ft it really slows boats down.
I do like the idea of a closed coolent system that I have seen on the Mer.525s
Any help on these two boats would help in my decision
Thanks
:)

Havaparty
04-10-2004, 07:48 AM
SB Give me a call @ 928 399 0398 Cell and I'll get you out for a test drive in our 29 Magic. I have several that are already built and just need power. This will help with the turn around time. If you want to design your own paint scheme you would be looking at 4 to 6 weeks until boat was finished.
Thanks,
Darrin
Magic Powerboats

tool 'n' jet
04-10-2004, 08:43 AM
I am in the same boat with you. I am looking for a new boat. I went to howard on thursday. A very nice boat, but not much cabin space. It's just feels really small for a 28ft. boat.
Also if you are looking to upgrade to 525EFI. I would give Teague a call for a little more money you can upgrade to the 720 Hp with the XR platinum drive...
You also might want to check out Advantage's new 28 Victory a great looking boat. I'm pretty sure that's what were going to go with.

SummerBreeze
04-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Havaparty,
Yes Darrin, I will take you up on your test drive.
I had talked to you a month ago on the phone you seem like you know your product well.
Let me get my dates in order on when I can meet with you and your Magic Wizard. I have your cell and business numbers. Thanks for your reply.
SB
:)

TPI
04-10-2004, 08:37 PM
The Howard Bullet is definately a lower profile boat all around, with its design based on speed, handling, and all around performance. They plane immediately and move freely through ANY water condition at ANY speed! The resale is unbelievable, there is a list of people at Howard waiting for used ones to come available. The rigging and hardware is top notch and the interior is immaculate. Plus they all come with a lifetime warrantee on the hull. I would highly recommend a test drive. Also, if you are looking for an EFI engine between 600-1000 hp shoot me a PM and I would be happy to help you. Good luck:D

SoCalOffshore
04-10-2004, 08:49 PM
I to looked at many boats before my purchase. I liked the Howard allot, but did not go with it because of its relatively small size. So I bought a 32' Schiada. But, i would look at the Hallet 270 and the Shockwave 29. Both are very roomy relative to the Howard. They were some of my personal favorites for single engine boats in that size.

tgun
04-12-2004, 09:09 PM
I currently have for sale my 2000 Magic Wizard XL. Boat is powered with 454 MPI w/ stage 2 pro-charger. Forged JE Pistons and forged crank. ECU been reprogramed by Arizona Speed and Marine. Turn key 75 mph. Imco dual ram external steering and K-planes. 75 hrs and boat is in immaculate condition. asking $59,900 If your interested give me a call at (909) 633-6285 Tom

Kilrtoy
04-12-2004, 09:19 PM
TGUN
Lets see a pic

roln 20s
04-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Howard 28 Bullet- I think its one of the best tooled, best built boats around. I think the performance and awards speak for themselves. Its a beautiful boat. It will handle any water you can give it. I will give you a full review this weekend, going to ride in KillerVee's 28 Howard Bullet with Mike from howard this Friday.
As for cost, it is probably a little more than the Magic. Taking nothing away from Magic, because they make a super nice boat, but the Howard just stands out in every way. A buddy of mine has a 29 Magic with the 525 and runs near 75 GPS, and I believe the Howard Bullet with the same power is near 82 GPS.
As for resale, the Bullet will win everytime. They build so few boats, have such a good following, and have such great quality, its a boat that you would barely be able to keep on the resale market. Gene has people call every day for used Howards, too bad there are barely any.
As for weight, they are both around the same. Gonna approach 4500 pounds.
I know Howard lets their boats sell themself, just call, Gene will arrange a test ride for just about any boat you want to ride in.
I think the Bullet has a fair amount of room, a little less freeboard, but I'll give that up anyday based on the performance numbers I have read about.
Here's what an un bias- unrelated competitor said about the bullet.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40510&highlight=howard (Keith's Review :D)
They are both nice boats, well made, I just think for that kind of money, Howard's bullet is a better boat.
Test drive both.
Tool-n-Jet---What way are you leaning now? Sounds like away from the Howard.
Roln 20s

Havasu_Dreamin
04-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Between those two the Bullett is the better buy IMHO.

Steamin' Rice
04-13-2004, 07:38 AM
There are a lot of differences between those two boats. With equal power, the Bullet will be a faster boat that the 29 Magic. However, the Magic is probably a larger boat than the bullet. The larger boat will give you more cabin room, and added size also usualy gives you a better ride in rough water. As far as price, my guess is that the Magic is going to be a lot less money than the Bullet.
They are both good boats. At the end of the day it comes down to your budget, how you intend to use the boat (smooth water, rough water, overnight trips, offshore?), and what's important to you in a boat (speed vs room, etc). Go for test rides in both in similar water conditions and see which one is the best boat for you.
PS: I just sold a 29 Shockwave that I loved. It's a really big 29 and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The only reason I sold it was to move up to the 34 Shockwave.

little rowe boat
04-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Give the Howard a test drive,you wont find a better built boat on the market,they build there boats to handle all types of water conditions,they usually perform best in the rough stuff.