PDA

View Full Version : Seriuos Downtime For Me

sidewound
04-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Had the Harley out last Mon. A beautiful day as spring finally starts to unfold here in the midwest. Sunny and plenty warm.
Got out back and onto some 2 lanes and was lovin it. Turned up the wick and was almost in tears it felt so good. What a long winter. Bikin and boatin season is finally approaching.
The county in order to try to save the gravel that gets plowed into the ditches with the winter snow, has been using their maintainers to scrape it up onto the roadway. I assume they eventually plan to push it back onto the shoulders. Unfortunatley they havn't got that far yet.
I topped a rise and approached a left hander probably a little too fast. I was already set up for the turn when I saw all the rock on the roadway. Tried slowing as much as I could, slid it sideways a couple times to try to get it to bite to no avail. Finally I laid it down. I was riding it across the pavement quite niceley until we reached the burm on the shoulder. Bike flipped tossed me in the air. I landed about 40' from the machine and knoked myself unconcious. My friend ran down to me and I came around right away. Tried to get up and walk a couple times till I figured out my leg was broke. BAD NEWS!!!!!!!
So now I'm lookin at 6-8 weeks in this external fixture contraption and then hopefully a walking cast. Not a happy thought. I guess the older you get the slower you heal. Doesn't that blow.
A word to the wise for all riders.
BE CAREFUL OF THE ROAD CONDITIONS THIS SPRING.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3371JAN_006.jpg
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

riverbound
04-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear that hopefully you will recover soon.

Havasu Hangin'
04-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear that Cesar. I guess you'll have more HB forums time now.
You'll be back in time for summer...

AdrenelineOD
04-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear about the fall. Glad you will be able to walk though.

LASERRAY
04-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Get well soon!:cool:
I'm glad you're still amongst the living.;)
Looks like you'll be ready right when the nice wheather begins.:wink: :)

Rexone
04-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Sorry to hear that one. Hang tough. There's a bright side to every story. The outcome could have been much worse than a broken leg. stay positive man. :)

Garrddogg
04-11-2004, 11:09 AM
That SUCKS dude, If there is a bright side it would be that it didnt happen closer to (the season) and its your foot and not your head..
Gary..

Garrddogg
04-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Force 26
That SUCKS dude, If there is a bright side it would be that it didnt happen closer to (the season) and its your foot and not your head..
Gary..
foot what was I thinkin I meant LEG..:(

Mandelon
04-11-2004, 11:11 AM
A cyclist may be lost, but a post ***** is born!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D

Dr. Eagle
04-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Dude, been there. Had the straight leg brace on for 4 months, then about 9 months of PT. 3 surgeries later, and I feel like an old man...er um uh my old self...
Sorry to hear about your predicament, but as it has been said... coulda been worse.

JetBoatRich
04-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Sorry to har about your accident, just be glad your hear to talk about it:D
Hope you heal quick

sidewound
04-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks everybody!
Just gettin well enough to sit here for a bit once in awhile.
I'm sure I'll be swapping lies as good as ever before long.:D
Good thin their's no serious stuff to do to the boat this year. Jus 'lil' stuff.
CESAR

Tom Brown
04-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Get well soon, Sidewound. :)
I see it tore the shit out of your pant leg too. :(

Kilrtoy
04-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Hope you have a speedy recovery, How is the bike

Forkin' Crazy
04-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Sorry to hear that. One reason I quit ridding. It was bad enought the way I rode + too many blue haired old women and little men with hats...LOL!
Get well soon, the "fire boat" awaits!:cool:

LaveyJet
04-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Sorry about your accident, keep the faith.
So now I'm lookin at 6-8 weeks in this external fixture contraption
I had to wear one of those for 8 Months, I have two words for you,
Vi Codin :D :D :D

FMluvswater
04-11-2004, 08:23 PM
I'm glad you are okay. I wish you a speedy healing time and that the itchies are always reachable and scratchable. ;) :)

beyondhelpin
04-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Rubber side down brother! I guess I wont have to tell you that again. Shesss J/K
Sorry to hear. I hate to hear of bikes going down. To close to home. Hope you make a speedy recovery!

sidewound
04-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the get wells everyone.
Killrtoy the bikes not totaled but close. We got 3 and the bad deal is I decided to ride DA'WIFE'S bike that day.
MAMANOTHAPPY!:D :D :D
CESAR

OGShocker
04-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your wreck. With all the dumb s**t I have pulled, I have never broken a major bone (fingers... all of them) in my life. Knock on wood!

Dribble
04-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Hey sidewound,
I can honestly say I know exactly what you're going through. I broke my leg 14 months ago on the KTM.
Shattered the tibial plateau and busted the middle of the tib in about ten places. I'm no spring chicken either. Did this at age 47. I had a total of four surgeries in three months and now sport two long plates and 21 screws in my leg. The good news is that I was walking at four months, riding the horse at five months, waterskiing at six months. Last weekend I did this for the first time since the crash. It does get better.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/365DCP_0309-med.jpg
Lots of good information at www.mybrokenleg.com. If you smoke now would be a good time to stop.

hack job
04-12-2004, 07:38 AM
sorry to hear about your leg. i boke my arm three seasons ago and almost missed the whole season but it worked out . and iam sure it will for you.;)

MudPumper
04-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Looks like you'll be changing your screen name to Legwound. Get well soon.

HCS
04-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Glad to see your all right besides your leg.
I've layed a bike down twice to many times. Once because of gravel, which screwed my knee all up. The other time I was just going to damn fast, I walked away from that one with road rash. OUCH!.

PlyaPlya22
04-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Well wishes and a speedy recovery!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-12-2004, 09:31 AM
sorry to here about you layin down the bike. just be thankful all you did was break your leg. it could have been worse. ;) you were being watched over. take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery. enjoy the post whoring. ;) :D

GottaJet
04-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your leg.. At least your bike will be ready to go when you are.;) :D Get well soon GJ

Ducatista
04-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Glad you're alright, hopefully you can get back some of your insurance money! Take care.....hope the leg heals up ok.

spectras only
04-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Get a coathanger ready , you'll need it soon enough;) :D . Ex double compound fracture owner here:eek:

AZKC
04-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Dam!!! Cesar that sucks, fockin road marbles takin out a bro, that ain't right. Kewl ya got off with a single limb busted, usually ends up much worse. Sounds like your ol ladies bike is going to get some upgrades though.
Oh yeah, I quit over at HD on Saturday. I'm taking a job with the County working in the Fleet Parts Dept. 9-5:30 M-F, no more working weekends for me :cool:
Keep it real man and heal up fast

sidewound
04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey KC!
Glad a new job opp. came your way. The owners at our shop have been pretty cool. Our ins. is supposed to have some short term dissability. That would help. Good luck with the new job.
CESAR