PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Speed and Marine's 496 Kit...

Mandelon
04-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Is this what I've heard about? Supposedly adds 100 HP to the 496....
http://store6.yimg.com/I/azspeed_1786_2082775
Arizona Speed & Marine has developed a revolutionary fuel injection manifold for the GM 8.1 liter engine. The intake manifold has o-ring seals inserted in a groove on the side plenums. This ensures a seal between the upper and lower castings. Intake runners are shaped to provide the cylinders with a straight column of air to pack the cylinders. The injectors are pointed at the intake valves keeping the fuel in suspension, and mixed with the incoming air. AS&M is also fabricating 85mm throttle valves to provide adequate airflow for the new engine packages. The 85mm throttle valves are cable actuated, and have stainless steel hardware to prevent corrosion. The intake manifold and throttle valve can be irridite coated as an option. Irridite is a very good base to paint your favorite colors on and also offers corrosion protection. Overall height of the intake manifold measures 22-1/2" from the center of the crankshaft to the highest point, it's only 1" taller than the OEM manifold. The complete conversion package contains the following items:
- Manifold Base
- Manifold Plenum
- Custom Fuel Rail
- Billet 85mm Throttle Valve
- MEFI 4 ECU
- MEFI 4 Harness
- Calibration of the ECU
- Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
- -6 Fuel Pressure Regulator Fitting
- Throttle Position Sensor for 85mm Throttle Valve
- Idle Air Control Motor for 85mm Throttle Valve
496 Man Pk $4,581.25

Ivan Dan
04-11-2004, 06:49 PM
What type of gains are they claiming with this set up? Anyone have it? Feedback? Good or bad
THANKS!

Kachina26
04-11-2004, 07:35 PM
That's alot of scratch for 100 ponies!

Outnumbered
04-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Is this what I've heard about? Supposedly adds 100 HP to the 496....
http://store6.yimg.com/I/azspeed_1786_2082775
Arizona Speed & Marine has developed a revolutionary fuel injection manifold for the GM 8.1 liter engine. The intake manifold has o-ring seals inserted in a groove on the side plenums. This ensures a seal between the upper and lower castings. Intake runners are shaped to provide the cylinders with a straight column of air to pack the cylinders. The injectors are pointed at the intake valves keeping the fuel in suspension, and mixed with the incoming air. AS&M is also fabricating 85mm throttle valves to provide adequate airflow for the new engine packages. The 85mm throttle valves are cable actuated, and have stainless steel hardware to prevent corrosion. The intake manifold and throttle valve can be irridite coated as an option. Irridite is a very good base to paint your favorite colors on and also offers corrosion protection. Overall height of the intake manifold measures 22-1/2" from the center of the crankshaft to the highest point, it's only 1" taller than the OEM manifold. The complete conversion package contains the following items:
- Manifold Base
- Manifold Plenum
- Custom Fuel Rail
- Billet 85mm Throttle Valve
- MEFI 4 ECU
- MEFI 4 Harness
- Calibration of the ECU
- Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
- -6 Fuel Pressure Regulator Fitting
- Throttle Position Sensor for 85mm Throttle Valve
- Idle Air Control Motor for 85mm Throttle Valve
496 Man Pk $4,581.25
Seems like you could put a supercharger on for that $$$:eek:
OL

OGShocker
04-12-2004, 05:48 AM
I have not heard a bad word about AZ Speed. They do have some GREAT products out there from what I have seen.
We took the boat to the lake Easter Sunday. We put our NEW motor (496 HO w/ a Whipple)in on Saturday and needed to run her before this coming weekend. Until yesterday, I never understood the saying "Injection is nice but, I'd rather be BLOWN"! HOLY S**T. That was a fun couple of passes. We need to run some different props to get'er dialed in but so far so good.

mbrown2
04-12-2004, 08:49 AM
4500 for 100 ponies does not seem too expensive if it truely 100 ponies...for a couple grand more, you could whipple, but then you would have a supercharger and the complexities that go along with that....If this system works, it seems like a nice alternative...and still stay natually aspirated..

rivercrazy
04-12-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm still having a hard time believing that there is 100HP in that motor with just a new intake and ECU change......

Chris Winn
04-12-2004, 09:31 AM
i have looked at the kit for almost a year, came close to buying it several times (i'm still under warranty), but it looks good and AZ speed will have it finished to any color you like.
i have heard from 2 people (one is a boat manufacturer) that the kit is good for 50hp not 100hp. the advantage to it is that it will bump your power up (up to 1 prop size) and you are not going to have to beef up the motor for blower power.
according to AZ speed and marine, they assisted with the development of the fuel system for Mercury on the 496 line. this was one of their original designs for the HO version (at one time there was going to be greater power difference b/t the HO and non HO). Mercury decided not to have a motor that was viewed as competition to their HP500, so they kept the power at 425 for the 496ho. AZ speed and marine devoped this kit further, and then offered it as an upgrade (this is the story i was told).
power could be close to that of the hp500, but you still have the issues of the non forged components in the motor to content with.

Kachina26
04-12-2004, 09:50 AM
I know there are a lot of variables involved here. If I am pushing a 24" prop at 5000 rpm now, how much more prop can I turn with 100 more horse? I guess what I'm asking is in relation to a supercharger how does this stack up?

Chris Winn
04-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Hello Kachina,
i think that with the AZ kit you could redline a 26p that should put you at 70mph or so.
a blower will be much better for power, but if you wanted to run good with the N/A 496 with AZ kit should put you near the performance of the hp500 (you might be able to run a 28 labbed to a 27or so, my boat is too big and heavy compared to yours for a 28p without the blower)
i wonder if AZ spped would put this into writing (the power guaranty) or refund money based off the % of power delivered VS promised (i would sign up for that).

rivercrazy
04-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Almost 5 grand for 50 HP sounds pretty expensive to me....But I guess its not that far off from the 1mph per $1K invested theory.....:p

Chris Winn
04-12-2004, 12:57 PM
true,
but isn't it about 1mph gained per 30hp increase? (or something along those lines???)
hp would not do too much, but if you compare 496 HO vs HP500 the kit would put you around the HP500 range and those #'s certainly are different when compared on the same boat.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Well....
I loved my Whippled 496 MAG HO.......
Just sold it......Dynoed at 620 HP with 6 lbs of boost.
I gained almost 14 mph with the blower.
But....my Whippled 565 will be better....heheheheh.....
CJG

RiverToysJas
04-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
4500 for 100 ponies does not seem too expensive if it truely 100 ponies...for a couple grand more, you could whipple, but then you would have a supercharger and the complexities that go along with that....If this system works, it seems like a nice alternative...and still stay natually aspirated..
I agree with this. the 496HO is usually a $4,000 upgrade at most buiders, and it's only a 45-50hp increase.
I looked at this intake at SEMA. I was impressed with what they told me about it, but have since heard it's not as impressive as they say. The biggest issue I have with it, it the aircleaner is much more forward, over a stock install. My K&N is currently touching my hatch, so I'd need an interior upgrade to put this thing on. Unless this figure a way to put a really low-profile flame arrester on it.
RTJas :D

WILD LAVEY
04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
they have an ad in the this months hot boat. they claim 600 hp from the 496 ho. the kit includes new intake, throttle body, hydraulic cam, ported head, reprogrammed ecu, new injectors and forged piston. the price was not listed. if all this is around 4500 and its true 600 ponies, thats an awesome deal.
oh, i forgot about the cmi headers.

TPI
04-12-2004, 07:37 PM
The gain that most people expect from this kind of upgrade is always more than they get. It is very difficult to make a naturally aspirated motor make good power on gas without a lot of cubic inches. I have not done one whipplecharged EFI that did not exceed the customers expectations. That catch is: more money, and more stress on the drive. But, MOST people will spend $3000 three different times on their motor looking for speed, but only a small few will pay the $9000 one time on the upgrade and do it up front. There are a lot of choices out there right now, and there are some tough decisions to make with regard to stepping up the power on your engines. IMO, the latest whipple EFI kits are the best performance enhancement kits that money can buy. They definately give you the biggest increase of speed per dollar. I use the rule of thumb it will cost you $1000 per mph over 70 mph. For example if you want to go from 70 mph to 80 mph, its going to cost you $10,000.00 on an average at a top rated shop. Its pretty accurate.