PDA

View Full Version : are these good parts at a fair price?

502procharger
08-16-2002, 02:11 PM
check out this e-bay link and let me know what you guys think. i have a basicly stock 502, with a procharger and was thinking of upgraiding to a 540. i want a motor i can spin in the high 5000's with no trouble.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=1850732351&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2

Heatseeker
08-16-2002, 03:28 PM
I recently bought a bottom end set up for a project blower motor. I went with a 4 " Callie's crank, Manley rods, Clevite 77 H series bearings, SRP's, Total Seal rings, all with internal balancing. With shipping it was just over $2300. So I guess $1725 isn't too bad. But I would ask around about the Eagle crank and rods. I was told that their cranks can be of questionable quality (just what I was told, I have no experience of my own with Eagle).
You probably aren't going to want the domed pistons for your procharged engine either, are you?

502procharger
08-16-2002, 04:10 PM
my problem is i do not know what i need. they offer the kit with standard(not domed) pistons. i want to build a motor i can run pretty hard and still be somewhat reliable. any ideas on what to do abou heads?

Heatseeker
08-16-2002, 04:57 PM
I don't think you'll need the domed slugs, that's for sure. I think the most you want to go for a supercharged pump gas motor is somewhere around 8.5:1. I will end up somewhere around 8.3:1 depending on how my heads turn out.
I went with the Callie's crank for the same reason you stated, reliability. Make sure that the Eagle stuff is American made. I don't know where they are coming from and I couldn't find an Eagle website for any info. I've heard nothing but bad stuff about all the Chinese(cheap) parts flooding the market right now. That's how I ended up going with Callie's "Dragonslayer" crank (Callie's answer to the Chinese invasion).
I'm still looking for the right set of heads for mine. I'm pretty sure there is a difference in heads between my 454 to your 502. I was told go with the biggest, best quality valves I can afford by numerous people. So that's a given. Some of these other guys should be able to tell you more.
I hope I've been some help.

Fiat48
08-16-2002, 05:15 PM
The Eagle crankshaft can't be put in the same catagory as a Callies. Lunati, Crower crank etc. It's more like a slight upgrade form a Chevy crank. The finish work is pretty decent and the .125 radius makes it a superior piece to the Chevy. Chevrolet crankshafts have gone downhill so Eagle and some others have stepped in to fill that void. Buy the best crank you can afford. I've run Eagles in blown alcohol and they were a big improvement over Chevys cranks. I prefer a Lunati when the budget allows. As far as valves, I use only Manley Severe duty as others have failed. Blown gas makes a lot of cylinder heat so the best valves are a must. 8 to 1 compression is best for blown gas so you;ll be looking for a flat top or dished piston, not a domed one. Also consider the Merlin II block or the Dart big M. Much nicer than Chevy's Bowtie.

Infomaniac
08-16-2002, 06:05 PM
That is a fair price for that stuff. Not a steal but the going rate. You can buy a similar kit from Doug Herbert for about the same price. They use Scat crank and Pro Tech rods. Same everything else. The parts come from the same place, just different name. They advertise it as their Super Street Kit. It will work good for you in a boat.
I would buy from Doug Herbert before someone on e-bay.

502procharger
08-16-2002, 07:12 PM
i still have mixed feelings about that kit now. it seams to be much better than stock chevy stuff, and a reasonable price. i only get to but about 50-75 hrs a summer on my boat, so i run it hard when i have time to play. do you guys feel this kit will hold up ok? i am also looking at brodix cnc ported 355cc heads. am i better getting them bare, and having good valves and springs put in, or buy them complete. if anyone knows the best place to buy them at the best price please let me know. Also if anyone has a any othe good heads that be just as good for a better price, please let me know.

need4speed2
08-17-2002, 07:05 PM
Maybe it's just me. But i don't think that you need that much CYL head for that rpm range that your talking ... your forcing the air in with the hair dryer you have. bigger is not always better. You want to keep the air speed or velocity up
as for the eagle rods and cranks I've used them in 15.1 720hp small blocks cranking 7800 rpm with no problems..
As for the heads Edelbrock performer rpm heads are
nice if aluminum is what you want. But inconel valves are a must ...