PDA

View Full Version : Boat Sterio Questions?

cdog
04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I just ordered a 29 ft Shockwave closed bow. As far as sterio equipment I have a 04 Pioneer DEH-P760mp head unit, two eclipse aluminum cone 12's, four mb quartz 6.5 for mids and highs, a 1000 watt fosgate amp for the 12's, another fosgate amp for the 6.5's, two optima deep cycle batteries and a honda 2000 watt generator to recharge the system.
So my question's are. What battery charger do I go with? Should I add two more 12's? Should I also add four 6x9's?
Do the Access Technologies remotes work well? I was planning on adding two.
Is the bow of the boat (meaning the very tip portion) a good place to mount two 12's?
If I add two more 12's i'll need one more amp and compasitor and if I add four 6x9's i'll get a bigger amp to run all of the mids and highs. At that point i'll need the charger to keep up with three high powered amps.
Barry @ Shockwave has been pretty cool and is working my system into the design of the boat interior.
Any feedback will be much apreciated.....
I'm trying to do it right the first time.
:cool:

Havasu Hangin'
04-13-2004, 04:07 AM
How are you going to use it?
How loud do you want it?

rivercrazy
04-13-2004, 07:59 AM
I would ditch the Capacitor and save that money for more gear. :D

PerfectionDtail
04-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Instead of 6x9's, I would run 2 more pairs of the MB Quartz, giving you a total of 8. Also you may need another battery if you want it to play a little longer.
For a charger, the more amps the charger has, the faster the recharging process will be. A good average I would think is 60 amps. That should recharge the 2 optimas in just under 2 hours. The only problem you are going to run into is where you put the charger. The waterproof chargers are expensive, but they can be mounted anywhere. I went with a Minnkota waterproof fully automatic 30 amo charger in mine. Marine chargers are more$$.

cdog
04-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Boy this thing needs a spell check. I just realized I spelled Stereo wrong. Duh!
I just spoke to a electronics wizard and he recomended me to buy a IOTA Converter Charger 12V/55A. I have two Optima starter batteries and two deep cycle Optima bateries. He says my alternator (mercruiser 105 amp internal fan) will charge the system fine when the engine is running and when I turn the engine off I will start the generator witch will charge the four batteries at about 13.5 amps. Is anyone using this same set up?
I attached a picture of the IOTA.......

PerfectionDtail
04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
He must be talking about 13.5 amps per battery. I would look into a waterproof charger. Guest or Minnkota makes a 30 amp/3 bank or 40 amp/4 bank chargers. If that one you posted gets wet, problems to the charger.

ROZ
04-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Back to HH's questions: How are you going to use it?
How loud do you want it?
Unless someone is doing the math for a big leaky bandpass, do yourself a favor and put the subs into the rear bench.
The nice thing about Shockwave is that they really want to work with you. I know alteast 3 Shockwave owners who had good luck with them integrating stereo into the design.
Like RC said, ditch the cap for another battery.
If you want to be really loud and clear, I suggest doubling up on the 6.5's... Like PD said...

cdog
04-13-2004, 11:34 AM
So are two 12's usualy loud enough for a 29 ft boat? I guess I should specify, the 12's are the wazuu aluminum cone expensive mofo's with a bd1000 fosgate amp. I realy wanted to put the 12's someware in the cabin. If not in the tip of the bow how about the bench's down below. Are you saying there's not enough air space for them in the tip of the bow?
Basicly I just want a loud system that hits pretty hard sounds good and that can run off of the charging system when the boat is off and the alternator is not running.
Usualy when someone sets up this kind of charging system does the alternator charge the batteries when the boat is running?
I was planning on using the starter batteries just for the engine, and using the two deep cycles for the stereo while having the alternator charging them while the engine is running and have the charger and generator charging when the engine is off. I have a total of four batteries now. Should I buy another for the stereo set up? Or should I run everything off of the four batteries that I have now? The system I saw only used two batteries and had more amps and speakers. Will the alternator be able to charge five batteries?

PerfectionDtail
04-13-2004, 11:51 AM
wcc, check your pm
I would put all 4 for the stereo *IF* you keep the generator on board. That way, if you do kill all 4 batteries, you can charge one up with the generator in 20-30 minutes. Optima's are supposed to be able to be completely drained and charged again over 300 times. If you kill all 4 batteries 300 times, you should be looking into something else, like more batteries for the stereo. Having too many batteries doesn't hurt your power casue.
I put 4 12" subs under the bow and I lost about 30% of the bass from the cabin to cockpit because of all of the padding under the bow asorbs the sound.

rivercrazy
04-13-2004, 12:25 PM
What subs do you have? Are they single voice coil or dual voice coil? Is the Rockford amp 1 ohm stable or 2 ohm stable?
I would also recommend you put the subs in the rear seat base. Much louder with better SQ.:D

cdog
04-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Santoprene Surround
Aluminum Cone
Dual Mirror-Image Spiders
Aluminum Voice Coil Former
"Bottomless" Design
Aero-Vented Pole Piece
Cast Aluminum Frame
Double-Stacked Magnet
Small Sealed-Box Enclosure
Continuous Power Handling: 500W
Music Power Handling: 1,000W
New Dual Voice Coil (SW8122DVC)
QCA (Quick Change Assembly)
SW8122DVC SW8122.4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fs: 27Hz 22Hz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qts: 0.30 0.35
DCR: 4.0/coil 3.1
Vas: 3.20cuft 4.25 cuft
Xmax:
(one way) 1.30 1.30
These are the subs... Their pretty bad ass. Click on the link for a picture.
The amp is a fosgate bd1000. 1000Watts RMS into 2 Ohms

ROZ
04-13-2004, 02:01 PM
I've used the TiDVC.. Very similar, but handles more power. You'll really like the way they sound. I'd throw those into a ported enclosure tuned somewhere around (whatever plots nicest) 35hz and call it a day :D
My calculations come to 1.46ct^3 with a 4" round port @ 16.31 in long is tuned to 34.72hz :D I could be wrong though...;)

cdog
04-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I used to have them in my work truck extra cab in a sealed fiberglass box and they hit so hard they broke my rear view mirror off.
When you mount them in the rear seat on a boat do you seal off the speaker or do you leave it open as in lift off the top of the bench and there's the speaker?
Should I do four of these? Or is two gonna be loud enough?

rivercrazy
04-13-2004, 03:05 PM
You really want to build an enclosure for the subs and not run them infinate baffle. Whether you build them sealed or ported....
In my 25 Shockwave, I put four 10"'s in the seat base in a specifically designed sealed enclosure. Shockwave built the enclosure within the rear seat base using 3/4" marine plywood that was glassed and then gelcoated. Ask specifically for the 3/4" thickness as you will need it with that much woofer and power.
Two 12's would hit pretty hard. If you went up to 4 you might get another 3db of SPL if you are sending the same amount of watts to each speaker. You just have to factor in wiring/ohm load configurations with your BD1000

ROZ
04-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
You really want to build an enclosure for the subs and not run them infinate baffle.
Yea, if you want to waste the money, just send it to me :D
Ask them to build the seat base to your specs. As with RC, you'll be very happy...
Yo Dave, have a little respect for Alexander Bell and cap the B in dB... ;) :p :D

rivercrazy
04-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Nerd! :D

rivercrazy
04-13-2004, 03:45 PM
You really want to build an enclosure for the subs and not run them infinate baffle. Whether you build them sealed or ported....
In my 25 Shockwave, I put four 10"'s in the seat base in a specifically designed sealed enclosure. two 12's would hit pretty hard. If you went up to 4 you might get another 3dB of SPL if you are sending the same amount of watts to each speaker. You just have to factor in wiring/ohm load configurations with your BD1000
Howzz dat?:p

ROZ
04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Nerd! :D
In my best PartyCat voice, "I'd rather be a nerd than a F'n Banker." :D :p
Are you going out for he spring heatwave?

rivercrazy
04-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Doesn't look too good at this point.....:frown:

TrojanDan
04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by wcc
So are two 12's usualy loud enough for a 29 ft boat?
I have two JL Audio 10w7's under the rear bench seat in our 29' Magic and it hits pretty loud! I don't think I had the height clearance to install the 12w7's after you include the box thickness.
I was planning on using the starter batteries just for the engine, and using the two deep cycles for the stereo ...
Why do you need two Optima starting batteries? We only have one Optima starting battery for the engine (496 HO) and two Optima deep cycles for the stereo. You just have to figure out how long you plan on playing "sandbar DJ" to determine the amount of batteries you need. The 2 Optima deep cycles should be plenty for your generator set up. Lots of good advice here. Good-luck. :cool:

TrojanDan
04-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Doesn't look too good at this point.....:frown:
Hey ROZ, do you smell the same thing I smell? Smells like tuna over here. :D :cool:

rivercrazy
04-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Pretty Much TD! But I have a family member scheduled for a minor surgery and I gotta do the family support thing....:(

TrojanDan
04-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Pretty Much TD! But I have a family member scheduled for a minor surgery and I gotta do the family support thing....:(
Good luck to them on the surgery. We'll drink a beer or 30 for you. :cool:

rivercrazy
04-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Its nothing serious. Drink a few GG&T's for me! :D

cdog
04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys for all your help. It's good to hear from those who have been there than just some a hole trying to sell you the shop!

ROZ
04-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Its nothing serious. Drink a few GG&T's for me! :D
I'll make sure we take car of that for you :D

Mr. Naudio
04-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Sounds like your being lead down the right path
I would also stay with the 6.5s ,no cap ,subs in rear bench,ect.
Would like to hear opinion,s on the amps.
Mine would be that RF amps are a good amp.
But from what ive heard and seen (in the past)they run, or ran pretty hot.
If that is still the case then I would think that they have no place in a boat at least not in the desert.
Roz,HH
What ya think?

cdog
04-14-2004, 07:36 PM
If I mount the subs in the bench where should I mount the amps.
In the cabin in front of passenger or in the engine compartment?
I like the cabin idea better.

Havasu Hangin'
04-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
Would like to hear opinion,s on the amps.
I'd agree...RF run a little too hot for my liking. The guys I know that had them regretted it later, because they always had to babysit them from going into thermal shutdown.
I'm sure you could run alot of air over them...but there are other options.
Originally posted by wcc
If I mount the subs in the bench where should I mount the amps.
In the cabin in front of passenger or in the engine compartment?
Id go with the cabin- I can't imagine the hot, humid engine compartment is good on amps, and under the bench might be a little too close for comfort with water from swimmers.
It takes a little more work (and ALOT of cable)...but it's the right thing to do to mount them in the cabin- cool and dry.
Just my dain bramaged opinion.

ROZ
04-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Yea, what he said....

Andy, britan
05-07-2004, 01:21 PM
hi im from the uk an i am into boats majorly but nothing as extrem as over where u r an i have just bought a 20 ft boat with no stereo an i was wondering if u guys use sealed amps or enything or do u just pray they dont get wet. lol andy

ROZ
05-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Andy, britan
hi im from the uk an i am into boats majorly but nothing as extrem as over where u r an i have just bought a 20 ft boat with no stereo an i was wondering if u guys use sealed amps or enything or do u just pray they dont get wet. lol andy
Put them in a ventilated location least likely to get wet, and go to church on Sunday :D
BTW, Welcome :)