PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a slightly used 21' family jet

LB Matt
04-13-2004, 07:31 AM
I am looking for a slightly used 21-22' open bow family jet and have a few Q's for the experienced jet boaters here.
I am looking at Carrera 202XR, Shockwave 21 Skier, Ultra 21, a few others, no older than 1999. I found a nice 202XR with the 330hp 454. I don't need to go 70mph, am more interested in a reliable boat that will last me many years and not blow my eardrums out (well, not completely anyway!) Also, want one with more 'cab' space rather than a huge open bow. Prefer to hang out under the bimini and float when it's cookin' outside.
If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. I'm in Long Beach, CA.

Jetdriver
04-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Mandelon has a 202 for sale! Look him up!

LB Matt
04-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Just spoke to him actually. Still, if anyone has any good/bad recommendations on the brands, I'd love to hear your opinions.
Thanks again.

RandyH
04-13-2004, 02:55 PM
I think that the Ultra 21 Stealth has more of a cab forward design. But several of them have the same look. Just seems like Ultra keeps things freshened up on the top side. My advise is to go See John West. He must know somebody who is about to buy his new deck and looking to trade.
Good Luck.
RandyH

LB Matt
04-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I looked at their boats at the Anaheim boat show last week, and I have a few friends with Ultras. Mixed reviews from the owners, but overall good I suppose. They are beautiful boats, and there are a couple of 99's and 00's I'm looking at. At least my neighbor finally got them to fix the leaks at the control cables thru the transom for the jet, almost sank it last summer when the auto bilge pump quit working!:(

OutCole'd
04-13-2004, 08:21 PM
If you have to have a jet, Mandelon's boat is sweet, check it out.

LOWRIVER2
04-13-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't think Ultra made the stealth back in 00'. I have a 94" Ultra LX which is now similar to their XS. I've been in the 202 Carrera and the Shockwave.
Of the 99-00 models, I'd say the Carrera had the most cab area space. It also had the smallest open bow area (a trade off).
I'd say the best resale value would be the Shockwave but it's questionable how much difference there really is in 21ft. jet boats in 5-10 years. All 3 are decent.
My only advice is get as much motor as you can. These hulls are heavy. I have a marine power 502 in mine and it definately performs better than the 454's I've ridden in (same hulls).
I'd also say the Carrera and Ultra will be a little cheaper than the Shockwave's in the used market.
It all comes down to personal taste, I bought mine because of it's extremely low hours and mint condition. I would judge the condition and engine size of them over the particular brand, they are'nt all that different.

LB Matt
04-14-2004, 07:18 AM
The motor is a concern of mine. Seems most of the 21' open bows have the 330hp 454 (the new ones have the 330hp 350ci now). My friend with the 22' stealth has the 502, and it seems like it's barely working when running at 45-50. Problem is, i've only seen one used so far with the 502, but the layout was wrong (1999 Shockwave Lexis - all open bow, small cabin area - wife said NO - even though I liked the bigger motor). I guess the biggest question is, will I be happy with a 21' with the base 454 330hp? Not into racing, just wakeboarding some, cruising, floating, going to the sandbars.
Thanks so far for all of your input, still welcome any other opinions!

flat broke
04-14-2004, 07:23 AM
If speed will EVER be a concern, go with the 502 based motor pacakge. It is alot cheaper to build HP with more CI. The larger bore of the 502 motor will respond to airflow changes at RPM<5500 better than the 454. With the 502, you are a cam and head change away from some good power, while the 454 would require $troking etc to get to the same level.
Besides, if the engine doesn't have to work as hard to net the same performance, it should last longer.
Chris

LB Matt
04-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Dang, forgot to ask this: How much difference is there really between the 454 base 330hp and the upgraded 454 with 380+/- hp in one of these boats? Does it make a big difference? There are a few of those out there (Mandelon's included).
As you can see, I try to at least do a little research before jumping off the cliff LOL.

rivercrazy
04-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I would really try to find the 454 mag motor over the 330HP 454. The mag motor has all the good forged parts in it (crank, rods, pistons). It also has the larger rectangle port heads.
The 330Hp motor is probably just fine for lower rpm towing duty but you really don't want to spin it more than about 4,600-4,700 rpm. The mag motor can easily turn 5,200 rpm. So you have a better choice of impellers you want to go with.
An A impeller will have better holeshot and cruise a lower RPM at a given speed. With the mag motor you could go to an AB impeller, still have decent holeshot/cruising speed. But will let the motor make more HP and get a few more MPH top end both from the 60 more horsepower but also spinning the motor up a little higher to get peak HP.
Of like others here have said. Get a 502.

LB Matt
04-14-2004, 05:50 PM
ok, one more Q then. How about the 496 vs. the 502 then for the big motor??

LOWRIVER2
04-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't think they were putting 496's into those boats prior to 01. There's a lot more stuff you can do to the 502 currently if you ever wanted to make more power than the 496. I'm sure mods for the 496 will come along eventually. The stock 502's put out approx. 425 HP. There's a 502 powered Shockwave with a small B&M blower on it that runs in the low 80's with set back pump. Pro Boat in Riverside set the motor and pump up.
Anything's possible. There's hundreds of happy 21ft. owners with stock 454's that ski ,cruise ,float that are perfectly happy with their motors. The 502 does make everything just a little more fun and planes a little quicker. It also sucks a little more gas. I always laugh at the small block I/O 21ft. cruiser guys that talk smack to me about their gas savings. I smile as we each put 5 people in each boat and watch their boats struggle to get on plane. Torque matters/LOL! It's all what you really want.
Heck, I'd sell you mine if I could find a used 21ft. Edge Stealth (or Ultra) jet deck boat. Now that's THE 21ft. jet cruiser to have.