PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new boat

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm looking for a new boat for my son. I'm trying to help him find the best boat for the best deal. Something in the 28' through 30' range. Something from Sleek, Nordic, Aftershock, Kachina, or Powerquest maybe. I've done a little searching on these companies but would like to know the real story from the comsumer, the good, bad, and ugly. Help me out here, I've read this forum for a while but am a newly registered user and thought what better place to find out about a boat than from the people that have bought them and use them already.

boxscore
04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Quality-wise ... you have to take a hard look at shockwave, ultra, dcb, and conquest

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 12:16 PM
meaning these are ggod quality? I looked a Conquest and did like their boats. anyone with knowledge on them?

roln 20s
04-13-2004, 12:31 PM
I looked a Conquest and did like their boats. anyone with knowledge on them?
Conquest seems to make a real nice boat- especially the deck boat. Keith Sayre- their sales guy, is frequently on these boards and would be a great person to talk to. Always been friendly and helpful when I have talked to him.
If you like the lines of the 28 Stealth, which is a huge boat, call John West at Ultra boats- you can tell him Roln20s said to call. His gel work is unbelievable, and a super nice guy. Very knowledgeable, definately a straight shooter. As the owner, he can give you a good deal :D
Of those you listed, you might focus on Kachina if you want some crazy and very good graphics, Nordic makes a real nice boat in the 28 Heat, but I would definately add the 29 Magic Wizard to that list. There are a couple of people on here selling theirs to upgrade. Real nice boat, and IMO, a great value.
If you want to best IMO- Call Howard and ride in their 28 Bullet :D
Roln 20s

boxscore
04-13-2004, 12:37 PM
or.... ( I almost forgot) you can just talk to Roln20s. He could probably qualify to do delivery inspections for most boat manufacturers around here. He's crawled over, under, and thru most every boat talked about on these boards. He's a bonifide ***boat freak.

PerfectionDtail
04-13-2004, 12:46 PM
I am on my second Magic. My first one was a 2001 29' Wizard and I could not have been happier with it. The 30' Sleek is a little bigger because the top deck is so big, and the built in swin step is pretty large as well. The 29' Wizard has a deeper V than the 30 Sleek and on the trailer the boats sits much smaller than the 30 as well.
Great company to work with. The next boat, someday, will be a Magic. I have had great luck with all aspects of that company.

roln 20s
04-13-2004, 12:46 PM
He's a bonifide ***boat freak.
Thanks, you know anyone hiring, I'll quit my day job:D
Roln 20s

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 12:57 PM
We think of all the v-bottoms out there, the 28 Sleek and the 30 Kachina are great looking boats for the money. Very similar in price and layout. How about a comparison between these?

roln 20s
04-13-2004, 01:15 PM
They are basically the same hull, if I'm not mistaken, Kachina is all of the old Sleekcraft bottoms, but they have tooled their own deck.
I think Kachina's are the way to go- their graphics a superb, and literally anything you can imagine, they can do. Write Kachina 26,Force 26 or H2on22s on this site, as they have new 26 Kachinas and they can give you their personal opinions. I saw Kachina 26's boat at the Phx Boat Show- its beautiful. I think for the money, the 30 is the way to go. Great amount of space and any graphics--for the price they advertise (believe near 70K)--no one can touch that in price. I've heard good and bad about the owner, but never experienced anything bad personally when I just toured the place.
Sleek/Magic in phoenix is really nice and helpful, never dealt with their Havasu Factory. I have heard many good things this year, but many bad things in the past. Tons of people on these boats can relate to Sleek/magic.
Neither of these boats are going to have a great top speed number, but for should be real reliable, consistant and easy to drive for anyone. Both are nice boats, and probably close to the same price, its all about preference. I prefer the Kachina because it has a molded windshield, versus the plexi.
Roln 20s

jbtrailerjim
04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
I'd look at an Ultra 28 Stealth. But I'm a little biased.;) :D There's nothing wrong with any of the boat's you mentioned though. How much money is he willing to spend?
Oh, and I voted for the Nordic out of the four you mentioned. The 28 Heat is a sweeeet boat!!:cool:

roln 20s
04-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Here is a new 26 Kachina- I believe it belongs to Debbolas.
Definately a nice ride- killer colors and graphics, just gives you an idea of what they can do.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566boat_almost_in_water-med.jpg
Roln 20s

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 02:04 PM
So far I'm very happy with my Kachina as is Scream(he has the same 26'). It's not the fastest hull for sure, but the ride is soooo nice. Louie, the owner and his wife Missie were easy to deal with. Pat the gel guy and Hal the airbrush/designer were awesome, helped me clean up my design and made it fit the boat well. Bret, who did the rigging, was very helpful too. I never had any problems, but I can see Louie as being tough to deal with if you piss him off, but who of us isn't. He treated my wife with the utmost of respect, even bought us lunch on our first trip to the showroom. I was a pest throughout the build process and they didn't seem to mind at all. I still have contact with them from time to time. You just can't beat them in the graphics department either, whatever you can dream up in your head, they can put on the boat and the interior all at no extra cost. Makes it hard to come up with something though. Also, they will not do another like yours.....ever. Sure there have been alot of good boats mentioned above, but most not in this price range with all the standard equipment that Kachina has. Yeah if money were no object, I might have spent 50k more on something different but, I'm happy with what I have.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1284KachinaAtlantis-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/1284kachina15-med.jpg

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Like I said, I've been reading this for a long time but never posted. In the past I've heard good and bad things about Kachina and mostly good about Sleek. He doesn't need anything really fast, just nice. I told him I would pay half so i want to make sure we get a good value with very little or no problems. Looks like Kachina does awesome graphics where I haven't seen much out of the ordinary from Sleek. Not really concrened about power because you can put almost anything in any boat...it's all about $$$$:D I too like the idea of a molded windshield.
Ran into a guy at Lake Powell last year with a Kachina that said if he had to do it all over again it wouldn't be with Kachina. There was alot said but all in all it wasn't good; in other words, boat was okay buy everything else left alot to be desired. I've only talked with the staff once just asking general questions and they seemed nice but haven't been there or really talked in detail about getting a boat yet.
Also talked with the guys over at Sleek, and I guess Magic, and they also were very nice answering questions. i haven't heard to much negative about Sleek though.

Jordy
04-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by wetnfast
We think of all the v-bottoms out there, the 28 Sleek and the 30 Kachina are great looking boats for the money. Very similar in price and layout. How about a comparison between these?
The comparison comes down to the resale. I'd look at paying more for a Sleek or Magic and know that I'd get more out of it in the end. That's all I'm going to say other than I wouldn't spend any money on a Kachina. ;) :D

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
The comparison comes down to the resale. I'd look at paying more for a Sleek or Magic and know that I'd get more out of it in the end. That's all I'm going to say other than I wouldn't spend any money on a Kachina. ;) :D
OUCH:(

Jordy
04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
OUCH:(
Sorry. I will say that they have come a long way in the past 5 or so years. I'm not going to bad mouth them, just gave an honest opinion on a big ticket item. I don't think that Kachina is in the same realm as Nordic or Sleek. If it makes you feel better I don't think I'd buy an Aftershock either.

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 02:46 PM
just between you and me, I wouldn't either.

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Kind of makes me want to not wast my time digging in Kachina to much. Let me guess, like the boat, but........
What about the others?just between you and me, I wouldn't either.

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 02:55 PM
that "i wouldn't either" was directed at the aftershock

Jordy
04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Kind of makes me want to not wast my time digging in Kachina to much. Let me guess, like the boat, but........
What about the others?
I think the "I wouldn't either" referred to the Aftershock comment.
I would put it between the Sleek and the Nordic. Go look at both of the boats. Crawl in and out of them, over and under them. Go out in the water with them. If you're serious about buying, the dealer shouldn't have any problem splashing a boat and taking you around in it. Make a list of likes and dislikes and go from there. Oh, and get as much engine as you can afford. It won't be long and you'll be looking for more power.

Jordy
04-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
p.s. i'm really partial towards schiada's:D :D
Me too. I'm on my second one. :D

Chris Winn
04-13-2004, 02:59 PM
here are some of my 29 wizard

Chris Winn
04-13-2004, 02:59 PM
here are some more

Chris Winn
04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
last one
magic has been pretty good so far, we have only had the boat out 2 times since oct (havn't had much time)

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
actually, I have looked on the Schiada web site and liked what I saw. I haven't spoken with them about cost and options, sounds like I should.:) By the way, He's 26 and price range below 100K.

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 03:06 PM
just between you and me, I wouldn't either.
Sorry, I misread. Are you pretty pleased with your boat Kachina26?

rivercrazy
04-13-2004, 03:09 PM
In the 28-30' size range, I would take a hard look at the Shockwave 29 Magnitude.

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I misread. Are you pretty pleased with your boat Kachina26?
So far so good, I've only owned it since February. I just took it in for it's 20 hour service. I already was over the budget I had for a boat by 10 grand, so spending another 10-30k was out of the question or I would have went with Hallet or something more High end. I wanted a little of my own personallity in it also, which Nordic doesn't offer. They have 1 design per year and you put your colors on it. Boring. Anyway, as you know on the boards you will hear good and bad about all, well, most boats. Look at everything you are considering, ride in em etc. If you catch me out at Havasu hit me up, I will show you the boat and take you for a ride. Gonna be out this Sat actually for the day.

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 03:19 PM
So far so good, I've only owned it since February. I just took it in for it's 20 hour service. I already was over the budget I had for a boat by 10 grand, so spending another 10-30k was out of the question or I would have went with Hallet or something more High end. I wanted a little of my own personallity in it also, which Nordic doesn't offer. They have 1 design per year and you put your colors on it. Boring. Anyway, as you know on the boards you will hear good and bad about all, well, most boats. Look at everything you are considering, ride in em etc. If you catch me out at Havasu hit me up, I will show you the boat and take you for a ride. Gonna be out this Sat actually for the day.
I do like your boat. Good looking and bright. I don't make it to Havasu much but when I do I will look for you. I'm up north and don't make it that way accept for business.

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 03:21 PM
I do like your boat. Good looking and bright. I don't make it to Havasu much but when I do I will look for you. I'm up north and don't make it that way accept for business. whoops, missed the Idaho location there, sorry.

Kachina26
04-13-2004, 03:39 PM
I found a 26' Kachina for only 10 grand, talk about poor resale!http://www.knhmarine.com/boats/kachina26/1.jpg

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
WetNFast, I gotta ask.. Is this your sons first boat?
RD His first personally, but he's been around my boats and I trust him with mine. He's very well versed around large and fast boats.

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
I found a 26' Kachina for only 10 grand, talk about poor resale!http://www.knhmarine.com/boats/kachina26/1.jpg looks like it needs just a little help.

jbtrailerjim
04-13-2004, 08:51 PM
actually, I have looked on the Schiada web site and liked what I saw. I haven't spoken with them about cost and options, sounds like I should.:) By the way, He's 26 and price range below 100K.
Well if was looking in the just below $100k price range for around a 26' or larger boat. I would definitely look at a 270 Hallet. Imo....one of the nicest boat's in that price and size range on the water. I'd love to own one myself someday.

wetnfast
04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
thanks for all the input. I'd still like to hear what more people have to say about their boats. I'll make a few calls and some test runs and let everyone know what happens.
:D

SoCalOffshore
04-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Many of the ones mentioned are great. Howard, Schiada, Shockwave, Hallet, Magic/Sleekcraft. But, you need to get in these boats and ride in them as well. I would look for a low hour used boat with Mercury power. Maybe you get more boat for the money.

DeltaSigBoater
04-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Are you paying for the boat, or is your son?
My next next new lake boat is going to be a 27' to 30' Hallett.
Have drove and rode in Formula, Scarab, Donzi, Schiada, Hallett, Howard, Shockwave, Nordic, Eliminator, and Ultra, & hallett is my personal choice

Three Days Only
04-14-2004, 09:06 PM
I owned a 30' Sleekcraft w/ a HP500 EFI. It was a good boat, but in my opinon the entrance of the V was two shallow which made for a rougher ride in comparison to most other 30' V Bottoms. The only problems I ever had, which were never repaired was
1. When you filled the boat with fuel, the vents were so low that fuel would pour out all over the place once the boat was full. Pain in the ass, espically while trailering down the road, and while braking gas was pouring out the side all over the cars next to you.
2. Fuel sender units read full until the boat was almost empty. got used to that so no big deal.
and finally
3. All the screws in the damn boat were always vibrating out and had to be tightened until they would need to be retaped else where.
Other then those small issues a great boat, and no other problems.
There customer sevice sucked a couple of years ago, but I hear has gotten much much better. If I was purchasing one of there boats I would buy the 32' Heritage or the 29 Wizard before the 30' Heritage only due to how much better the ride is in the 32', and the 29'. Their cat seems to ride real good, I would check that out too.
By the way you can really deal with Magic/Sleekcraft, I got my 30' Heritage w/ HP500EFI/ XZ Drive, K-Plane Trim Tabs, fully loaded no opions left off for 74K, sold the boat 2 years later for 72K
Just my .02, If its worth anything.
Jeff

burtandnancy
04-14-2004, 09:29 PM
I mentioned on another post (Advantage vs Hallett) that Bud Baileys personal Hallett is for sale for less than 50k. Buds fame is legend (Campbell, Spectra, Silver Wings, Hallett). His used boat is probably as good as any new boat for sale today. Buds resume as a designer/builder is unmatched. His own 27 was the purple/white brochure boat of a few years back. If I remember correctly, it was a non stepped bottom. The list of extras is a page long...

Scream
04-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Here is a new 26 Kachina- I believe it belongs to Debbolas.
Definately a nice ride- killer colors and graphics, just gives you an idea of what they can do.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566boat_almost_in_water-med.jpg
Roln 20s
Wow, she's got a nice lookin boat ;)

Debbolas
04-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Wow, she's got a nice lookin boat ;)
No no this is my boat.....
Kachina have the best people and the best boats. IMO.
We shopped all over, and saw a lot of cats with no storage space, just a boat and an engine and some seats. For the money Kachina is the best deal. We were looking at Essex, but when you upgrade the engine, etc...we were way over budget. With the Kachina boats everything is included and they will work with you to make you happy, as long as you aren't being an A**hole.
We love our boat so much, it has so much storage space, ice chests, speed, comfort and rides like a dream. I am really glad we had our little 19ft searay first because we so appreciate our baot now. Does your son have kids, if not maybe a engine and a few seats will be fine for him. We have kids, so we nee the DVD player, upgraded stereo system, remote controls, automatic night ride light, table, bed, sink, potty, blender.
We were out at Lake Mohave a few weeks ago when it was ruff and I know we went from a 19ft to a 26ft, but we were flying over this rough water that would have torn up our other boat. And it has this auto plan prop tilt thing....very cool.
and it goes really fast! Oh, the coolest thing is that my son is an artist and they used his drawing to stitch the skull on the engine cover....
very happy

River Lynchmob
04-15-2004, 03:58 PM
looks like it needs just a little help.
I'm pretty sure that will wax out.

NashvilleBound
04-15-2004, 06:06 PM
If your considering a new 28footer dont leave out Ultra. My 247 has been killer! Zero problems. Ultra totally stands behind their work and does some of the industries finest! I'm going to sell it at the end of this season...if your interested.

jbtrailerjim
04-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
If your considering a new 28footer dont leave out Ultra. My 247 has been killer!
I'll second that. The Ultra 28 Stealth is a helluva nice boat. I love my 247XS. The guy's at Ultra were great to deal with also.
Oh, And the Ultra 28 Stealth is well under $100k, with decent power.

OGShocker
04-16-2004, 06:14 AM
I think I need to put my nose in here.:D
Read the write ups in Hot Boat(February and April) and Powerboat (January...i think). Hot Boat's test driver said the Dana 27' Offshore, was the best boat they had driven ALL year.
Go to Dana's website for details..... (http://www.danaboats.com/)
I do NOT work for Dana.... I own one!

Debbolas
04-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Kachina!

Kachina26
04-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Kachina!
Careful, being a Gimp is how I got hooked on this place!

Debbolas
04-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Careful, being a Gimp is how I got hooked on this place!
Not much to do all day with my knee up and ice on it....
(not suppose to walk on it grrrrrr)
;)

COELIMINATOR
04-16-2004, 11:21 AM
I hope this is not too out of line, ie. thread hijacking, but since a few others have mentioned other boats, what about a 280 or 300 Eliminator??? Sam

BADAXE
04-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Wow! with a 100k budget I would not even consider any of the four you listed.
You should be able to get a very nicely equiped and powered 27 to 29 foot Howard, Hallett, DCB, Shockwave or Laveycraft in that that price range. IMHO all of which would be better quality and resale than what your looking at.

BADAXE
04-16-2004, 01:40 PM
This info is off of Halletts web site, their boats come fully loaded standard. You can see the 270-S with HP500 is under $90,000 and you can get the 270-T with twin scorpions for under $102,000.
Not that I'm pushing The Halletts my favorite in that size range is the HOWARD 28 BULLET, but this pricing should let you know what the top builders are charging.
270-S is available as a Step-V or Deep-V and as a Mid-Cabin or Closed Bow
Engine Drive H.P. Closed-Bow Mid-Cabin
496 Mag Bravo I 375 $74,900.00 $76,900.00
496 Mag H.O. Bravo I 425 $79,100.00 $81,100.00
500 EFI Bravo XZ 470 $89,900.00 $91,900.00
525 EFI Bravo XZ 500 $93,100.00 $95,100.00
575 SCI Bravo XR 550 $101,900.00 $103,900.00
270-T is available as a Deep-V, Mid-Cabin or Closed Bow.
Engine Drive H.P. Closed-Bow Mid-Cabin
Twin 350 Mag MPI Bravo I 300 $87,900.00 $89,900.00
Twin Scorpion 377 Bravo I 370 $101,600.00 $103,600.00

surfer2001
04-16-2004, 04:46 PM
I purchased a 2004 25foot Mid-Cabin Nordic Rage in January. I’ve already put 40 hours on it and I love this boat. The 28 Heat is the big sister and also great choice. Make sure to get as much power as you can afford. 28 foot or larger you need 525+ HP. I checked deeply into Howard, Hallett, & Nordic. If you do your research, you’ll most likely find those three at the top of the quality list. Not to knock anyone’s boat, but those three are the best year after year. (IMO)
Also consider where you plan on using & storing your boat. The Nordic factory is in Havasu. That fact made it an easy choice for me. I use and keep my boat there. Good Luck.
PS I’ve found the Nordic guys will bend over backwards to keep you happy. (AFTER THE SALE)

stoney
04-16-2004, 09:44 PM
You people under estimate/value Kachina Boats! This is a solid boat company that stands firmly behind solid craftsmanship. Kachina's gel coat and graphics are second to none. Kachina Boats have been building boats at a great value for the buck for over 40 years.

rivercrazy
04-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by BADAXE
Wow! with a 100k budget I would not even consider any of the four you listed.
You should be able to get a very nicely equiped and powered 27 to 29 foot Howard, Hallett, DCB, Shockwave or Laveycraft in that that price range. IMHO all of which would be better quality and resale than what your looking at.
I didn't catch the total budget available! I have to agree with Badaxe here......

robert_pv
04-16-2004, 09:58 PM
I have seen some gorgeous Kachinas. Real pretty inside and out. Better than some of the more expensive boats.

Debbolas
04-17-2004, 10:56 AM
KACHINA

NashvilleBound
04-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
KACHINA
No, really...You vote for Kachina?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: