PDA

View Full Version : Merlin BBC marine intake

powerplay230
04-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Wondering if anyone out there has had experience with the WP Merlin aluminum marine intakes and salt water use?
About 18 months ago I put a new 502 longblock in my "slow boat to china" and one of the pieces I used on it was the Merlin marine intake, which has brass lined coolant passages. On assembly I used the exact # Felpro gasket that was recomended in the intakes' directions. After a few too many months of non use I had to pull the heads because of a stuck valve and now have found a problem with the intake. Never noticed during assembley but the gaskets are almost 1/4" larger than the portion of the intake that has the brass inlay. So water was able to get at the aluminum that surrounds the brass portion and you can guess what happened to that. Errrrr worse problem was we didn't catch this until putting top end back together and firing it up and after admiring how well it ran for 15 minutes it filled the motor with water. I know starting to sound like I should buy a canoe:mad:
Question (finally) is I found that Mr Gasket makes an intake gasket (non-marine) that fits perfectly to the smaller brass port. Now engine is running again but after that milkshake disaster I am almost afraid to run it. Is there a better solution or should I go back to GM's marine intake? :confused:
Help!!!!!!!
Thanks, Rick

Rexone
04-13-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't have personal experience with that intake but from what you describe, I would think the correct size gasket with a littl silicone on the water passages would solve the problem.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
04-14-2004, 01:43 PM
I TOO RUN IN SALT AND WAS JUST ABOUT TO INSTALL MY GM HI PERF INTAKE. THANKS MUCH FOR YOUR QUESTION, NOW I WILL BE MUCH PICKIER ABOUT THE GASKETS I USE!...BILL.

powerplay230
04-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Bill,
When I was comparing all four sets I bought I found that both the Mercruiser and Fel-Pro sets lined up very nicely with the GM manifold. IMO the mercruiser gaskets looked the best if they line up correctly. MAKE SURE that your not using a GM auto manifold, I was suprised when comparing the GM piece and the Merlins- GM's blow them away "quality build" wise. Just made me mad that Merlin is telling people to use a gasket that will definately doom it, but maybe thats why price is $700 different.
Does anyone out there have any experience with these manifolds as far as performance diff'. I just found a GM take off and am debating just swapping it now. What intake are most people using?
Thanks again all,
Rick

powerplay230
04-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Anyone have good or bad luck with these? What's everyone running- GM/MERC intake or ?