PDA

View Full Version : safe boating class?

76BARRON
04-13-2004, 07:15 PM
The local coast guard? "power squadron " is starting a safe boating class one night a week for the next 8 week's.
It seem's like a good idea to me. On the plus side you will earn a certifacate (if you pass test) I am told when completed the the student's will be ahead (better?)than 90% of the boater"s out there? and the insurance company will give a 20% discount on boat insurance! forever! The class is free, but book's and stuff are $45.00 Has anybody out there done this?
What do you guy's think?

manuel
04-13-2004, 07:29 PM
I did it for the discount and learned things too but got the required stuff on CD for less than $10. BoatUS also has an online course that you can do for free, same benefits except you don't get to hang out with other boat freaks,

Flying Tiger
04-13-2004, 07:35 PM
If you plan on Catalina runs,, the CG class is a good idea.
From wet knot tieing to navigation,, excellent experience to be gained.

DeltaSigBoater
04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
I did the California Safe Boating Course, that wasnt too bad. I also have a United States Coast Guard License for Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel, unless you plan to start charter boat service, you should be fine w/ the us power squadron

Dr. Eagle
04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 76BARRON
The local coast guard? "power squadron " is starting a safe boating class one night a week for the next 8 week's.
It seem's like a good idea to me. On the plus side you will earn a certifacate (if you pass test) I am told when completed the the student's will be ahead (better?)than 90% of the boater"s out there? and the insurance company will give a 20% discount on boat insurance! forever! The class is free, but book's and stuff are $45.00 Has anybody out there done this?
What do you guy's think?
Good idea, hell yeah. I took a correspondence course offered by the Dept. of Boating and Waterways. Cost was about the same, but it was a home study thing with an online test. You can find out about it on their web page.
About 12 years ago, I took another correspondence course from DBW and got a certificate from them. I lost the cert and changed insurance companies so I needed a new one. But that cert. saved me 10% on my insurance for 12 years, not chump change.
The amount of the discount depends on the insurance company.

RiverPirate
04-13-2004, 10:39 PM
I took mine on BoatSafe.com Class and testing online. The certificate was $15.00. The savings on insurance was 10 %, however they made the wife take the test also= $30.00. Pretty painless.

76BARRON
04-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Yep, Im going to do it ! I'll start the class tonight.
7:30 pm to 9:30 pm.

FRENCHIE
04-14-2004, 09:50 AM
also started yesterday!:D

AdrenelineOD
04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
I can`t find it Call Me Lame then post the link please. I`ll pay you at the class

Dr. Eagle
04-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
I can`t find it Call Me Lame then post the link please. I`ll pay you at the class '
Like this one........Boating Safety (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/BoatSafeCourse.htm)

AdrenelineOD
04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Thank Dr. Eagal Its on the way..

Dr. Eagle
04-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
Thank Dr. Eagal Its on the way..
You owe me nothin....
Just don't run into my boat on the lake.......;) :D