PDA

View Full Version : Blower Questions

Dimarco Kid
04-12-2001, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, got a few questions about superchargers. I'm in the process of putting an engine together and am trying to find a combo that's gonna work. I've noticed that BDS and others offer a "front discharge" blower. What does this mean? I know they are more efficient(according to BDS) but I don't know why. Also, I'm building a 540 Chevy and will use the boat for lake/race use. Majority will be lake, but my definition of lake is scare the hell out of people and put it back on shore. I'm leaning towards an 8-71, should I go billet rotors? Teflon stripped? Front discharged? I'm running race fuel and would like to build 10+ lbs of boost. Any recommendations would help.
Thanks,
Dimarco Kid

boatnam1
05-19-2001, 03:19 AM
HEY DK,THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GO WHEN GOING BLOWN,AND THAT IS A LITTLEFEILD BLOWER.DONT LET NO ONE BS YOU.ALL THE OTHERS ARE JUNK.I LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY SO I WILL SAVE YOU SOMETIME.AS FAR AS RUNNING 10#'S BOOST YOUR MOTOR BETTER BE PUT TOGETHER GOOD.I ALSO LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY.OR SHOULD I SAY THE EXSPENSIVE WAY.I HAD A MOTOR BY BLOSDALE AND SHOEMAKER AND NEITHER LASTED EVEN LONG ENOUGH TO TALK ABOUT.IF YOU WANT A RELIABLE PIECE THAT YOU CAN RUN 10 TO 14 POUNDS GO TO CLAY SMITH AND TALK TO GEORGE.HE BUILT MY MOTOR 3 YEARS AGO AND IT STILL RUNS GREAT.I RUN 13#'S ON AV GAS ALL DAY LONG.GOOD LUCK OH YEA DONT FORGET TO BUILD YOUR OUTDRIVE IT WONT LAST I LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY ALSO. BOATNAM1

superdave013
05-21-2001, 12:20 PM
I gotta agree with boatnam about Clay Smith. That's who I have used for years. George is setting up my 573" blown motor now and I am doing the assy. myself this time. I could have saved some money elseware but I know that he will hook me up with the right combo. I also run a Littlefield blower but only because my shop is right by Mert Littlefield's. I learnd the hard way about buying used junk blowers but I think that if you get one from Moneyham, BDS or some of the others they will be fine too. For what your doing I would not worry to much about the front discharge unless you can get it for the same price. Get the billet rotors as they will not flex as much. I would also have them stripped. I'll say it to you one more time. Your hydro would be bitchin with a 14-71 and a Enderly birdcatcher injector hat!!

Dimarco Kid
05-27-2001, 05:53 PM
I ended up buying a Mike Kuhl built 490 Chevy with a billet rotor 6-71 on top with two dominators. According to Mike it made 1070 @ 7200. I've noticed that I have to really get on that 6-71 (Littlefield) to build big boost. It's set right now at 11lbs. Am I mistaken thinking that a intercooler would make a world of difference on a hard turning blower? I've heard lots of good thing about Superchillers, any of you guys have em?

superdave013
05-27-2001, 09:21 PM
I run a superchiller. I think that it helps save burnt pistons and I did pick up some at the drag strip. I used a small pump to move water through it when I was at the holding rope and it had a by-pass with a check valve so it would force feed when making a pass. What over drive is the blower set at? You might want to send it off to be restripped. I ran big boost with VP-C16 gas and my 8-71 would make 28psi @7,800 RPM with it overdriven 30%. For lake use the 11 psi sounds about right. Even at only 11 psi you should be using at least AV gas.

Dimarco Kid
05-29-2001, 05:10 PM
I've noticed that some guys are running tunnel ram intakes modified for the blower base pattern. I see that a few outfits are modifying Edelbrock Victor rams for blower apps. Any of you guys use these? I can't help but think they are alot more efficient and should make power. Any thoughts?
D.K.

jsblendorio
05-29-2001, 06:49 PM
I keep hearing everyone using av-gas. I have been in 2-stokes for years, but not with 4's. Most people tell me not to run it. I always thought it was bs.
John
Originally posted by superdave013:
I run a superchiller. I think that it helps save burnt pistons and I did pick up some at the drag strip. I used a small pump to move water through it when I was at the holding rope and it had a by-pass with a check valve so it would force feed when making a pass. What over drive is the blower set at? You might want to send it off to be restripped. I ran big boost with VP-C16 gas and my 8-71 would make 28psi @7,800 RPM with it overdriven 30%. For lake use the 11 psi sounds about right. Even at only 11 psi you should be using at least AV gas.

MrHavasuCat
07-02-2001, 09:21 PM
All I run is av-gas, and it runs great. I know a few people that run it as well, mostly on supercharged motors, and they have good luck with it. When I had my 2.5's last year I was told to run av-gas in them as well, was told the powerheads would last longer.

mister460
07-09-2001, 11:04 AM
Yeah DK, I've made those adapters before. Usually it was on an "off" motor where a true blower manifold would have been 900 bucks. It's just the bottom of a tunnel ram and a half inch aluminum plate to adapt the blower. Works pretty nice and looks trick if you do a good job(not hard.)