PDA

View Full Version : why is it so hard to find a shop who wont screw you over

dallas
10-30-2002, 08:18 AM
it seems to me in the wisconsin erea it is hard to find some to do engine work who knows what they are doing. i had my boat at mel riggs and i decided i was not going to have my work done there for financial reasons. they fliiped out i have never been treated that way in my life i was sworn at i couldnt belive it. it was like he had some kind of mental problem i took it some where else the person seemed very honest but once again i was talking to some freinds of mine and they were telling me i was gonna get screwed that this guy screwed them . im gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that they are wrong.

shockwaveharry
10-30-2002, 02:59 PM
Do it yourself then...

dallas
10-30-2002, 03:12 PM
that makes sense oh ya next time i break my legg i will operate on my self. ill invest in thousands of dollars of tools and i will take years out of my life to get really experenced at it i want some help but not from an idiot.

Fiat48
10-30-2002, 03:50 PM
I agree there is a lot of engine builders out there that care more about emptying your wallet than how good your boat runs. But being on both sides of the fence, there are cutomers you cannot please no matter what you do. In my opinion, if you have a blower or supercharged application of any kind, you better know how to work on it yourself. Just like the doctor who works on your bad leg, most builders charge a lot. Most people don't know much about leg surgery, but EVERYBODY knows about an engine...if you catch my drift. So "getting screwed" or the opinion that you were comes with the territory.
The reason I do not build motors for the "general public" is that they do not understand a performance engine, but all think they do. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. That's why performance engines, especially blown, are best left to those who are willing to learn and do their own repairs and upgrades. The average Joe wants to know how much it cost to make X amount of horsepower. He hasn't a clue what is happening inside the engine (that was designed originally for 1/4 of the power it is putting out now), the maintainance and the mechancical breakage that come with the high horsepower. He wants a lifetime warranty instead of having an open mind that mechanical things break. For those that don't want to work on thier own engines, I suggest you go to the highest priced known engine builder you can find. Do not negotiate his price, just pay it. It's called "buy the warranty". You'll pay much more but that covers the builders cost when you break it and he has to fix it. And if the engine builder gets lucky and all the new parts are good and not defective, he may make some good money on the deal. Kinda like insurance. Insurance company is betting you don't need insurance...and you are betting that you do need it.

Clown
10-30-2002, 04:08 PM
FIAT
I'm at a loss for words!!!!!
You hit the nail right smack dead on the fukin head!
A little Knowlegde is a dangerous thing for the guy that has $500.00 DOLLARS in his pocket, But wants a Blown Alki motor that he can drive from canada to florida with out one thing BREAKING.!/
"How much will it $cost$ to make my Stock motor a 15,000 Horsepower mountain motor"?????
By By Jerk off As the phone hits The fukn wall.
I've said enough! :mad:

timucin
10-30-2002, 04:23 PM
shockwaveharry :I am agree with you

Schiada76
10-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey Fiat does that mean I'm actually on the right track by building a blower motor in the garage, torching two pistons the first season, cracking the crank and wiping the mains the second, and getting all the parts back from the machine shop this Friday to try again? ROTFLMAO
Hey.........maybe I'm not an idiot savant, just an idiot.
Hope the new heads and cam are the shit!

Fiat48
10-30-2002, 04:59 PM
Clown:
FIAT
I'm at a loss for words!!!!!
You hit the nail right smack dead on the fukin head!
A little Knowlegde is a dangerous thing for the guy that has $500.00 DOLLARS in his pocket, But wants a Blown Alki motor that he can drive from canada to florida with out one thing BREAKING.!/
"How much will it $cost$ to make my Stock motor a 15,000 Horsepower mountain motor"?????
By By Jerk off As the phone hits The fukn wall.
I've said enough! :mad: Sounds like I hit a tender spot! Ha! Ha! Made the mistake of working on a guys 1965 El Camino once. He tried to talk me into building him a racing engine, but I refused. So, I put a crate vortec small block in it. He raced the damn thing all year. 15 bracket race events and at every stoplight! Never pulled a valve cover. The thing ran all year but after breaking the axles at the Las Vegas event, he had a ticking sound in the engine. Don't think he free wound it, do ya? I told him I did not want to work on it as he was an idiot and drove like one and that no engine would stand up to him. He promptly took it to someone else who said they would build him a "killer" small block as the motor he had was no good and should never have been put in the car in the first place. So the guy signs a $15,000 contract with his new engine builder and then comes to me and wants me to refund the cost of the engine and the labor involved. And My attorney advises me that I should give him back the money in exchange for a full release as he fears this guy will kill somebody sooner or later with his "Wonderful El Camino". So, I did. And the new engine builder built the guys new engine and it runs 2/10's slower than the crate motor. And I am done with the general public.

Fiat48
10-30-2002, 05:11 PM
BradP:
Hey Fiat does that mean I'm actually on the right track by building a blower motor in the garage, torching two pistons the first season, cracking the crank and wiping the mains the second, and getting all the parts back from the machine shop this Friday to try again? ROTFLMAO
Hey.........maybe I'm not an idiot savant, just an idiot.
Hope the new heads and cam are the shit!We all must pay our dues! LOL. But seriously, there are people on this board that have been there and can offer their hard earned experience to help at a considerable savings. I never was an Oldsmobile fan but Mondello said it best. "Money can buy parts and pieces, but experience is Priceless."

Schiada76
10-30-2002, 05:42 PM
I'm hoping with the upgrades I'll scare myself into not flogging it so hard.
Think that will work?LOL
The advice here is truly priceless BTW.

HavasuDreamin'
10-31-2002, 01:37 PM
I agree with everything you guys are saying. On the other hand, for people out there who have the money and not the time, there should be some reputable builders who are honest and are not out to screw the general public. What would piss me off is if someone decides on a top builder to do some work for him because he doesn't have the time, but then he complains about the price. Then I would tell them to do it themselves. My $.02

Schiada76
10-31-2002, 03:25 PM
There are some GREAT builders out there especially here in So Cal but you'd better bring your water cooled, injected check book. :D

FLYTE RISK
10-31-2002, 06:55 PM
YOU know there are so many crate motor deals out there even if you know nothing you can get a fairly reasonable deal.. Reher morrison, scott schaffiroff, sonnys, not that that is what I would do I build my own.. But a motor with a dyno sheet from reher morrison I would not be afraid to run the shi$ out of... Just my 2 cents eek!

shockwaveharry
11-01-2002, 10:30 AM
dallas:
that makes sense oh ya next time i break my legg i will operate on my self. ill invest in thousands of dollars of tools and i will take years out of my life to get really experenced at it i want some help but not from an idiot.Didn't mean to piss you off so bad... :( However, if you educate yourself a little more (because no one else will do it for you) you may feel better about your next transaction, weather it be with an engine builder, plumber, electrician, painter... You've gotten some good advise here (good job Fiat!), I hope you take it.
P.S. Good luck! I wanna hear that your boat goes 90 by next season! :)

DEEZ NUTTS
11-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I built my own blower motor which is also my first motor build, other than motorcycles. I had the standard machine work done then assembled it myself. Alot of reading and research went into it and so far so good. I have many top self parts but have run my motor conservatively all summer with out any problems. 5lbs boost, 28 deg. total, 5000rpm. I know that there is lots of power left on tap, but getting it with my inexperience is probably asking for trouble.
The moral is that I saved half of the money, learned alot, and am happy with a 13mph increase from a motor that had to be rebuilt anyway. Dont be afraid.

paradigm shift
11-03-2002, 06:43 AM
I was told once that you can pay big $$$ to have that motor built by a known builder or you can do it your self and after the 3rd try get it right. Ends up about the $$$ but you have more fun. :D :D
Performance is not cheap and if you try and cut corners it will cost you big time. Most of us me included learn the hard way. $$$ wink I still do my own motors.
I hear to many stories of people getting screwed but no mention of prices they payed for specific service expected. Some times you get what you pay for. Usually some truth to all stories so be sure and get referances or know your engine builder before laying down your hard earned cash.

eliminator777
11-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Every ones thoughts are correct I've had a boat all my life I've been in 100's of shops in the past I've found That the people in the shops do the same things I do They get up put on their pants the same way I do.As for tools no big deal Most people who have the money and not the time will piss and moan about the money.A guy I built a motor for asked me how I would stand behind his motor.I told him No oil leaks no ext.or interal water leaks Carbs are jetted right.Now 5 years later he's still running the hell out it. Every year end of season he brings it back to freshen it up.I taught him how to maintain it.It's a super charged 512. so that shows me if you use the best the rest takes care of it's self