PDA

View Full Version : Advantage vs. Hallett

tool 'n' jet
04-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Final narrowed it down between Halletts 270 and Advantages new 28 Victory. Any input or suggestions.

twistedpair
04-14-2004, 04:11 PM
My vote is for Hallett. Timeless lines and great resale value. Plus I have never heard a single person bitch about their Hallett.

rivercrazy
04-14-2004, 04:15 PM
I'd say the Hallett. But only if its the non stepped bottom version. Just PM SupercrewJohn4X4 about the stepped bottom 270

mirvin
04-14-2004, 04:17 PM
I think Hallett has maybe the best reputation in the business period.
Advantage makes a good boat and if these are used it's hard to say what the "better" boat is.
How 'bout some more details?
mirvin

MUDXPRT
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
I own a 270 Hallett and couldn't ask for a better all around boat. Mine is an open bow, no steps, with HP500. It's great for skiing, pulling the kids tubing and comfort. Need we even bother talking about quailty. If you need any questions answered PM me.

LASERRAY
04-14-2004, 04:35 PM
I would go with the Hallett. They are a Top tier builder without a doubt.:cool:

jbtrailerjim
04-14-2004, 04:53 PM
I would without a doubt a get the Hallett. I agree with RiverDave. There's no comparison between the Advantage and a Hallett in my honest opinion.
Jim<-----Big fan of Hallett. Just wish I could afford a 270.:frown:

Kilrtoy
04-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Plus I have never heard a single person bitch about their Hallett.
TRUE, but the same can't be said about, after you buy the boat.

FRENCHIE
04-14-2004, 05:17 PM
definately would go for the Hallet, but have you considered the Shockwave 29 ' magnitude...in the same price range too!:D

cc322
04-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Out of the two you mentioned I would say GET THE LAVEY:D

bordsmnj
04-14-2004, 05:28 PM
HALLET . :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm biased:D
26 years old and still going strong. (not me! the boat!!)
<-------------------

Havasu Cig
04-14-2004, 05:52 PM
I would say Hallett between the two hands down. As far being the best in the business, I think some would argue that claim.

Member: 7673
04-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Hallett

intense
04-14-2004, 06:07 PM
How about the DCB 28? It's a great boat.

DeltaSigBoater
04-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Hallett 270 all the way. Look at the price of a new hallett then compare that to the price of the advantage. Next look on line at used Halletts and Advantages... The advantage of all Halletts is that they hold their value.
Just my observation.

BoatFloating
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
BTW, don't bother ripping into me about this and that, becuase the guy asked for an honest opinion and I gave him mine. It's just an opinion (although arguable as a fact) and everyone is entitled to one. RD
You said fact ;) http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/rd-junk.gif

boxscore
04-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Please trust me..... Go with Hallet. Advantage produces a nice looking boat. But with all boats, problems will arise. At that point you don't want to be an Advantage customer. I should know, I've owned two of them. Once you get the boat dialed in, it's an acceptable product for the money, but dealing with a manufacturer who builds that many boats a year.... YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT TO THEM. PM me if you want details.

phebus
04-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
Hallett 270 all the way. Look at the price of a new hallett then compare that to the price of the advantage. Next look on line at used Halletts and Advantages... The advantage of all Halletts is that they hold their value.
Just my observation.
Try to find used Hallett's, they are few and far between. People just don't get rid of them. It's hard to move up to something better when their really isn't any....

hd&boatrider
04-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Hallet....also take a look at Shockwave. Ask for Barry. For that kind of money you should take another look.

TPI
04-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Go with the Hallet!:D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Well....
I guess I'm the only Advantage guy here....
My 27' runs over 80 and I have yet to have a handling problem.
Most 27' Advantages or Halletts run in the mid 60's, so handling on each is not an issue.
The 28' Victory is a completly different boat.
What are you looking for ????
The 28' Advantage is MUCH bigger than the Hallett.....Hell...It's much bigger than the 27' Victory....Do you want alot of free-board & cabin headroom ??
Again, what are you looking for ?? The Hallett is faster, but the mid cuddy cabin is no comparison.
"Scraping the bottom of the barrell"....What the hell are you talking about ???
The top 5 builders use the same materials & the same quality of people to build them. The next step down...Commander, Laser, Cobra, bla bla bla......make inferrior products and are living off table scraps.
If Advantage is "Scraping the Bottom" ?? Why does it get twice as many of it's boats to attend it's regatta then even Eliminator does??
People don't go to their boat manufacture's regatta if they don't like their boat !!! You don't sell a couple hundred boats a year if the product is bad or current owners don't tell there friends !!
Hallett will never make 200 boats a year, not because it's not a good product, they just don't have the demand.
The 25,27 & 28 Victory boats are GREAT family boats. The customer service at Advantage is second to none.....There in Havasu which mases sense for me, a Havasu boater.
Drive both boats....Sit in each boat....What matters to you speed, comfort, price, customer service, location..What ?? Resale on both boats is great and you don't see either one for sale very much or very often.
I have had my 27' for 3 years and would buy it again today.
Plus....It's way better looking than the old school Hallett !!!!
My 2 Cents !!!!
CJG

Kilrtoy
04-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Try to find used Hallett's, they are few and far between. People just don't get rid of them. It's hard to move up to something better when their really isn't any....
There house is on the third mortage and they can't due to the intial HIGH starting price

C-2
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
When we purchased our Hallett, we were told by the Hallett folks;
"There's no Advantage."
:D :D :D
Nine years later and I can still put my boat next to any other 1-2 year old boat and let other's try to guess which is older. True story, it's still in that good of shape.

burtandnancy
04-14-2004, 08:33 PM
There are 116,000+ boats on the boattraderonline, and only two (2) 27 Halletts. Resale is unbelievable. Now for the good news. The number 1 Hallett, built by Bud Bailey, blue printed, massaged daily, never run hard, low hours, 502, custom everything, is FOR SALE. The list of goodies is endless. It is purple and white, (brochure boat). Bud is getting long of tooth and has decided to bail out. This boat is one of a kind, and Bud is the ultimate craftsman (Campbell, Spectra, Silver Wing, Hallett). Bud can't figure out how to work his wifes computer or you would see it on Boattrader. If anyone is interested, I'll give you Buds phone number in Boulder City, NV. The boat has been in indoor storage for its entire life, has only seen Lake Mead and Powell. It'll go for less than $50k...

tool 'n' jet
04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys... Going down to Hallett tomorrow and puttin down some cash for a mold date.
2004 21' ELIMINATOR $ SALE
However I do have a beautiful 2004 21' Eliminator. This boat boat is loaded with a 496 mag legend jet all the bells and whistles. White gel coat with some sweet red and blue stripes
Thanks for everyone .02 It help sale my wife on the Hallett......

RiverPirate
04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Bud's boat is sold I do beleive. He took a deposit within the past week. I only with I had heard about it.:(

DeltaSigBoater
04-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Christopher Gibbons
Well....
I guess I'm the only Advantage guy here....
Plus....It's way better looking than the old school Hallett !!!!
My 2 Cents !!!!
CJG
Old school huh?
Have not clue what you're getting at, but i wish you would explain what you mean!

Kilrtoy
04-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Ok im lost

burtandnancy
04-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Riverpirate, you are correct, Buds fablulous 27 sold yesterday. (And I thought I was on top of things)

River Lynchmob
04-15-2004, 07:25 AM
i've had a 27 Hallett for years non step bottom and no boat of its size can even compare with ride, performance or handling. as a matter of fact i'll put my boat up against any advantage of the same size. my boat handles as good at 30 as it does at 90 its soild. now dealing with hallett is another stoy all together. Nick is a pretty good guy but hhis kid is a pr!(k and a half. i dont think i would buy a boat directly from them. they build a great product but they act like they are the only guy in town.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Hallett will never make 200 boats a year, not because it's not a good product, they just don't have the demand.
You may want to lay off the crack pipe with that one. :p LMAO
I don't own a Hallett, for my own personal reasons, but to say they don't have the demand to build 200 boats a year is just NUTS! Hallett makes great boats, period, end of discussion.

XTRM22
04-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Jerry's final thought of the day - "It's one thing to have pride in your boat, you worked hard for the money and you should be proud of it. It's another thing to let your pride lead you down the road of ignorance ."
RD
Yeah, you could own a DCB and go down the road of arrogance! :D ...... WHat? I'm jokin here, ok only a little.;)
I'm loyal to DCB, but I agree with Dave between Advantage and Hallet there is no comparison.
CHuck

rivercrazy
04-15-2004, 10:14 AM
I still say between Hallett and Advantage I would choose a Hallett. But I doubt I would pass the arrogance test down at Hallett!
BTW - the 270 is my favorite looking Hallett. Nice flowing lines.

Big TW
04-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Definitley go with the Hallett. I had a 240, sold it in one day after four years of ownership and the "bigger" bug hit. Almost the same money as I paid for it.
Now have a 270. Handles big water great! Make sure you give it some decent power.
Also, it attracts lots of "talented" people who want to see it. Nice to get them in your boat.

RiverPirate
04-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Burt n Nancy you are on top of things. The buyer just happened to be a friend of mine. ;)

THOR
04-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Well....
If Advantage is "Scraping the Bottom" ?? Why does it get twice as many of it's boats to attend it's regatta then even Eliminator does??
CJG
Not true. Eliminator is the biggest by a long shot.

Essex502
04-16-2004, 09:36 AM
How many did Eliminator get last year? Just out of curiousity.

Just Tool'n
04-16-2004, 10:03 AM
How do you afford owning a 2004 Eliminator, then go & buy a new Hallett.
Did you hit the Lotto?:confused:

THOR
04-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
How many did Eliminator get last year? Just out of curiousity.
Last I heard was 300+. I think.

Essex502
04-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by THOR
Last I heard was 300+. I think.
Pretty good size! Just wanted a idea....Essex's 2002 Regatta drew 250+ boats. Both pretty good sized.