PDA

View Full Version : Boating Blues

Wicked1
04-14-2004, 10:25 PM
I have had my boat for 3 seasons and ran really good till this season without a problem..well since this season i have gone through three starters(kragen cheapies) a steering cable and now i need some headers..well the last time I had it out wich was last weekend it was running good till i started hearing really faint popping noises from the headers which i am hoping is just the exhaust leak but it didnt sound like one, second the boat turned off as i was driving at 2600rpm at plane, the starter went out again when it died instanty so i couldnt get it fired up again to see whats going on..this sucks i am really frustrated and its still the beginning of the season.. to top it off i had my younger brother store at the end of last season and when i went to pull it out all my gauge bezels have rusted and the motor has some surface rust gggggrrrrrrr...... ...sorry just felt like venting some frustration out... Oh and to top it all off i went to the local boat shop to see if i could get some advice but all the guy saw was money signs coming out of my mouth...he is way to expensive... i guess i just need to cool off and get motivated....

payloan
04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Its still early if it helps any I broke a whole blade about 3/4's of it on saturday and my guy is telling me that the whole shaft looks tweaked I gotta call him tommorow and see whats up. heres one for you Big beeers and cold boobs.... do I sound drunk? are you motivated now? PLAY NOW - PAY LATER - THE SUN IS HERE!

fourspeednup
04-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Well that blows! My season started out shittily as well but I see mechanical troubles as opportunities to mess with shit and improve my rig.
3 starters is ungood, that combined with possible ignition issues (misfires and popping in exhaust, sudden loss of power), sounds like you have some electrical gremlins that need to be worked out.
Get a' polishing on those bezels and make em shine better than new!
I don't know, just throwing ideas out.
What type of boat?

Wicked1
04-14-2004, 10:42 PM
thanks fellas, its a 19 ranger with a berk jC, ur right fourspeed better opportunity to make things better.. I already ordered a high torque marine starter and i think i am just gonna get some new gauges its time.. as for the electrical yup i gotta sort it out, the boat never lost power it just died instantly like i lost all electrical power.. hey fourspeed u ever come back to ventura i live in oxnard?

fourspeednup
04-14-2004, 10:48 PM
yep, heading back mid-may for the summer---I gotta get me a burrito or 5 from montezuma's:D
If it is electrical, we can have that thing rewired in an afternoon---no prob

DeltaSigBoater
04-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Last season i started out great
Memorial day weekend the boat couldn't have ran better.
my grandparents used the boat in the middle of june, (its still there boat).
4th of July weekend the boat ran like shit... I was told it was everything from my Alternator to the Zinc on the outdrive.
Haven't been out this season, but we'll see what happens?

Wicked1
04-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey Fourspeed drop me an email when you come back so we can get together and throw back some cold ones on and we can use my boat as fire wood.......

eliminatedsprinter
04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Welcome to boating. You're doing fine. Last season I spent $2200 getting mine to run right. Then another $600+ for the right prop. Only to seize up my powerhead at the end of the season (caused by a freak problem with my flywheel) so it took another $7600 to get it running for this season. All for a little 19ftr....:rolleyes: Oh well, I considered it a bit of a restoration when I got it and it sure is fun when it runs right.:cool:

sigepmock
04-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Just dropped $2300 in the jet on my new used boat. Got one run out of it at Elsinore and knew something was wrong, shaft, impellor, all bearings, only good thing left was the bowl and oh yeah the intake had to be re-glassed into the boat too. Oh well that's boating. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, hopefully we'll all be back up and running soon.

fourspeednup
04-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Wicked1
Hey Fourspeed drop me an email when you come back so we can get together and throw back some cold ones on and we can use my boat as fire wood.......
For sure,
Where there's fire a BBQ must be close by;)

CrazyHippy
04-15-2004, 05:32 PM
I can compete on this thread... 3rd trip out (ran 106mph on 2nd trip)

CrazyHippy
04-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Broke a propshaft somewhere around 80mph, just getting back into the throttle, and Over revved the motor....

fourspeednup
04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
mmmmmmm, carnage:cool:

CrazyHippy
04-15-2004, 08:04 PM
yeah, at 7:15 am on Casitas... DAMNIT
Ever been towed in by a bass boat??

surfer2001
04-15-2004, 08:29 PM
January 03 I purchase a used 25 foot bow rider for 18 grand, it had a 454 MAG EFI motor. The boat had only 132 hours on it. I thought I stole it, 3rd time out it started coughing and jerking after leaving a no wake zone. (At high RPM no problem). The problem repeated itself after every low RPM running. I took it in thinking I had a fuel filter issue. EFI computer had no error messages, so they took a compression test. BAD results, turns out I needed a valve job because the valves were tuliped due to bad, old, stale gas. ($3000.00) To fix because they had to pull the motor to work on it. Next starter, then alternator, then drive issues. By the end of the season I put $9000.00 into it. By this time the wife hates it, this actually is good because together we decide to get a new 04, 25-foot Nordic Rage. Couldn’t be happier no issues and we have a 5-year warrantee. As they say “that’s boating”.

AdrenelineOD
04-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by CrazyHippy
How bout one of thesehttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1425tow_rig-med.jpg

fourspeednup
04-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by CrazyHippy
Casitas? That's my back yard...:cool:
Got towed by 4 15 yr/old tweakers in a camo-paint aluminum boat with a 10hp O/B......upriver back to topock. Then they ran out of gas:rolleyes:

Wicked1
04-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Sorry to hear about everyones rides, at least i know i amnot alonein frustration ... i got towed in at Casitas by a little 8 ft rental boat going about 2mph it took us what seemed like eternity to get to a dock...

Kilrtoy
04-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Sorry to hear that wicked 1

cigarette1
04-17-2004, 10:40 AM
2 weeks before Poker Run
Got T-boned by a pontoon .. $$
Pushed into shallow water .. $$
Hit props ... $$
Damaged drive coupler u-joint .. $$
U-joint broke while on plane .. $$
Destroyed bellhousing and many other parts ... $$
Will be fixed by Savage Marine in time for the Poker Run ... $Priceless$
G

NashvilleBound
04-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Wicked1
I have had my boat for 3 seasons and ran really good till this season without a problem..well since this season i have gone through three starters(kragen cheapies) a steering cable and now i need some headers..well the last time I had it out wich was last weekend it was running good till i started hearing really faint popping noises from the headers which i am hoping is just the exhaust leak but it didnt sound like one, second the boat turned off as i was driving at 2600rpm at plane, the starter went out again when it died instanty so i couldnt get it fired up again to see whats going on..this sucks i am really frustrated and its still the beginning of the season.. to top it off i had my younger brother store at the end of last season and when i went to pull it out all my gauge bezels have rusted and the motor has some surface rust gggggrrrrrrr...... ...sorry just felt like venting some frustration out... Oh and to top it all off i went to the local boat shop to see if i could get some advice but all the guy saw was money signs coming out of my mouth...he is way to expensive... i guess i just need to cool off and get motivated....
Didn't you get that free boat a while back? Was it just a hull? Its been a while....

AZKC
04-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Last season I lost one rebuilt motor to crankshaft/rod failure, second motor to a broken valve, have a fresh motor in it now waiting for its suprise :D Have a rebuilt tweeked pump thats still waiting for a topend pass;) Maybe next weekend to friqin windy this weekend.

Dribble
04-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Wise man say:
If you want to get the same sensation as owning a boat just get into the shower, turn the water on real cold and rip up $100.00 bills

NashvilleBound
04-18-2004, 09:36 AM
LOL...... Uh, no.

Wicked1
04-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Damn i dont feel not even half as bad now sorry fellas for my whinning like a little B*atch... my probs are messly compared to some.. hey Nashville its been awhile and i still owe u those Crowns.. i think you were thinking about eric455 getting that free eliminator hull..

NashvilleBound
04-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Its all a blur.... but your right now that you mention it, it was eric455. Speaking of him, is he still around?

moneysucker
04-19-2004, 05:34 PM
This season hasn't even gotten to the water. i HAD SOME JACKASS convince me I could go blown for not a whole lot of $ and I believed it. I am almost done but the motor that I had done last year ended up that instead of bolting a huffer on top I just replaced everything but the block instead. It will be super nice for the free board challenged eventn but I am going to have to wire it replace the fuel system and run all new stainless lines and get my new scoop back and I will be done (for the season). All the items I am replacing I bought within the last 2 years. It is a sickness I tell you. Good luck getting the problems woured out.
Cy