PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again, bust out the generators

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Calif. power officials fret about summer supplies
SAN FRANCISCO, April 14 (Reuters) - Growing demand for electricity, a slowdown in power plant construction, and tight supplies are worrying California power officials as summer nears, a spokesman for the state grid said on Wednesday.
The California Independent System Operator, which runs most of the electric grid, expects to issue its summer supply-and-demand forecast shortly and ISO operators are concerned about electricity shortages "if base case assumptions on supplies and consumption don't come true," said ISO spokesman Gregg Fishman.
The ISO will revive its annual plea to consumers to save as much power as possible during the hot summer months, when demand for air conditioning soars, straining the grid.
California already has had a grid scare this year, when scorching temperatures in Southern California on March 29 sparked heavy demand for air conditioning power.
That forced the ISO to call a "stage one" alert, the first such declaration since May 2003.
A stage one alert gives the ISO additional control over power plants and results in a call for voluntary conservation but does not cut service for either residential or business customers.
California is still recovering from the 2000-2001 energy crisis when a shortage of electricity exacerbated by market manipulation by energy traders led to blackouts and the bankruptcy of its largest utility, the Pacific Gas & Electric unit of PG&E Corp.
The utility emerged from bankruptcy on Monday.
GROWING CONSUMPTION
California's electricity usage is growing by 4.5 percent annually compared with 2 to 2.5 percent in past years, with much of the increased "load" reflecting changing demographics, Fishman said.
"More homes are being built in the Central Valley and the Inland Empire in Southern California in areas that are hotter and need more air conditioning," he said.
The state's economy is showing signs of strengthening and that is expected to result in more power use, Fishman added.
The ISO spokesman would not discuss specific figures in the draft summer report.
"We're cautiously optimistic about this summer but maybe a little less than we were six to eight months ago," Fishman said.
The agency is worried that an early melt of the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada could crimp supplies of hydroelectricity, which provides about 20 percent of California's power, at the same time the Pacific Northwest has a below-normal hydro year.
The latest forecast for the 2003-2004 Northwest water year showed the volume of water flowing through the region's giant hydro dams will average 78 percent of normal at the key Dalles dam, according to the Northwest River Forecast Center.
Another concern is California is not building power plants at the pace it was only three years ago.
Fishman said 10,000 megawatts of new capacity have come on the grid since the energy crisis but this was offset by the loss of 3,500 megawatts of retired plants. One megawatt is enough power for about 1,000 homes.
In addition, new plant construction has been stalled due to the problems of the merchant energy sector, which has been scaling back expansion plans and focusing on restructuring existing operations, Fishman said. "There aren't many more megawatts coming on line through 2004," he said.

AdrenelineOD
04-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Why did I come back?
Energy
Construction(starting biz)
Traffic
Its a nice place for vacations Though

Jordy
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I just got done with a load bank on a 750kW for the City of Scottsdale at a water treatment plant. They're renting it from me for at least a year just in case Cali's rolling blackouts some how affect our grid. They want to be prepared in case something like what happened last year when the whole NE US was without power. The generator would keep the pumps running and keep drinking water flowing out to residents of North Scottsdale. Just doing my part to make the world a better place. :D :D :D

AdrenelineOD
04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Oh ! stupid me, I forgot they had that blackout last year. Dah To answer my own question.

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I just got done with a load bank on a 750kW for the City of Scottsdale at a water treatment plant. They're renting it from me for at least a year just in case Cali's rolling blackouts some how affect our grid. They want to be prepared in case something like what happened last year when the whole NE US was without power. The generator would keep the pumps running and keep drinking water flowing out to residents of North Scottsdale. Just doing my part to make the world a better place. :D :D :D
thanks, My brother lives in North Scottsdale.....:D

cdog
04-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Scottsdale rocks!
The hottest chicks i've ever seen were in Scottsdale...Cool place to party too.

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by wcc
Scottsdale rocks!
The hottest chicks i've ever seen were in Scottsdale...Cool place to party too.
I kinda like Banderas in old town....

cdog
04-15-2004, 10:55 AM
I worked out there from 98-02. It took a couple of months to discover the night life but when I did.............Good God!
There must be something in the water.
We usualy go to Axis & Radis and that place across the street from there.
Dos Gringos used to be cool but all the prepie Frat fags hang out there now. Serious Sasuage Fest.
I'm looking forward to my new boat for this summer. I think i'd rather drive to Scottsdale, party all night and go to the local lakes out there than go to Havasu and be around all the Tough Guys.
Not that I don't love the river, i've been going out here for 20 years, I'm getting tired of the ahole element.

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by wcc
I worked out there from 98-02. It took a couple of months to discover the night life but when I did.............Good God!
There must be something in the water.
We usualy go to Axis & Radis and that place across the street from there.
Dos Gringos used to be cool but all the prepie Frat fags hang out there now. Serious Sasuage Fest.
I'm looking forward to my new boat for this summer. I think i'd rather drive to Scottsdale, party all night and go to the local lakes out there than go to Havasu and be around all the Tough Guys.
Not that I don't love the river, i've been going out here for 20 years, I'm getting tired of the ahole element.
Yeah, I worked in Phoenix in 95/96. Our office was in Scottsdale. So I hung out there quite a lot and got familiar with the local scene.
It is what my boss referred to as "a target rich environment". I liked it a lot, except for August and September... heat with humidity... that sucked.

cdog
04-15-2004, 11:08 AM
But it's a DRY HEAT.......right

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it is a dry heat for the first 4 months of the hot season... usually...;)

cdog
04-15-2004, 11:16 AM
so whats a canatard?
The river must be a pretty long drive from Folsom. I'm not exactly sure where that is even..I just know that Jonny Cash has a song about the prison. Where do you go boating?

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by wcc
so whats a canatard?
The river must be a pretty long drive from Folsom. I'm not exactly sure where that is even..I just know that Jonny Cash has a song about the prison. Where do you go boating?
Folsom Lake.....launch ramp is two miles from my driveway. I still try to go to Havazoo once a year or so.....
Folsom Lake State Park (http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=500)
Folsom Lake is about 2/3 the size of Havasu, I think....

cdog
04-15-2004, 11:22 AM
so whats a canatard? I kind new here.

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wcc
so whats a canatard? I kind new here.
It is a Tom Brown invention for Canadian Retard....... Canatard...... See?

cdog
04-15-2004, 11:59 AM
OK I get it know. Thanks for the info.

Essex502
04-15-2004, 12:46 PM
It's all BS...there is nearly 10,000 MegaWatts offline today alone. This same sh!t happened in 2000/2001.
Go to www.caiso.com all the statistics are there.