PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mojave - Cottonwood Question?

RacerX
04-15-2004, 12:28 PM
We go out to Mojave a few times a year and ALWAYS stay in Laughlin and launch at Katherines. The farthest we've ever ventured to the North is to the 9 mile marker where some friends were camping in a cove.
How far is it up to this Cottonwood Cove area that everybody is always talking about? It looks like it's 14-15 miles on the NPS map if we do it in the boat.
Does the area have a launch ramp?
Gas pumps?
How far is it to DRIVE up there and just launch? Any highway info you can provide? Thanks is advance...
** For what it's worth, we have a 21' Malibu and go there to wakeboard as a general rule. We board in the early morning (6-9 am) and then let the kids wear themselves out on a beach until the water calms back down....then more boarding.:D

hd&boatrider
04-15-2004, 12:34 PM
It takes about 30 minutes to get up to Cottonwood at about 50MPH...roughly. They have a nice launch ramp, gas, restaruant, store, etc. You can trailer out to Cottonwood to launch by taking the bridge straight accross from AZ and going straight up the mountain. When you get to the top you take a right (it will be mmarked) and head to Cottonwood. The drive will take you about 1.25 hours if I remember correctly. There are a number of coves right nearby Cottonwood with sand.
Originally posted by RacerX
We go out to Mojave a few times a year and ALWAYS stay in Laughlin and launch at Katherines. The farthest we've ever ventured to the North is to the 9 mile marker where some friends were camping in a cove.
How far is it up to this Cottonwood Cove area that everybody is always talking about? It looks like it's 14-15 miles on the NPS map if we do it in the boat.
Does the area have a launch ramp?
Gas pumps?
How far is it to DRIVE up there and just launch? Any highway info you can provide? Thanks is advance...
** For what it's worth, we have a 21' Malibu and go there to wakeboard as a general rule. We board in the early morning (6-9 am) and then let the kids wear themselves out on a beach until the water calms back down....then more boarding.:D

rivercrazy
04-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Since you have that boat, I'd recommend you trailer the boat to Cottonwood. The basin can get really rough if the wind is blowing. Because the lake is close to north/south in orientation and the wind is usually north or south, the basin can get ocean like rough.
It should take you about 45 minutes from Laughlin to tow. That grade out of Laughlin is a doozie though. Try to get out early before the heat sets in. The grades isn't that long but is very steep.
Cottonwood has a great launch ramp, dock, etc. Try to get gas in Searchlight. Its cheaper there.
Go north out of Cottonwood and after about 4 miles or so, it gets relatively narrow and the lake is smoother there.
There are awesome beaches and coves to explore and its really bitchen up there.
Give it a shot. Just check the wind forecasts before and you will have a awesome day out there

Ziggy
04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Who's been up to the hot water spring pools up from Cottonwood? I've never been there but been told about them a few times from different peeps...
They say its unmarked but there is a small beach area to put the boat and hike up to the springs.
Anyone familiar with this? Sounds like a nice place to check out.

RacerX
04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
We're definitely going to give it a try this year....
So to drive there.....we want to go back out the 163 and take the highway North towards Searchlight? Or do we drive like we're going to Katherine's but keep going North towards Flagstaff?
Once we get closer to the area, is the road pretty well marked with signage?

LaveyJet
04-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Is there a fee to launch at Cottonwood?
Is it still $10 at Katherines?

rivercrazy
04-15-2004, 12:56 PM
So to drive there.....we want to go back out the 163 and take the highway North towards Searchlight? Or do we drive like we're going to Katherine's but keep going North towards Flagstaff?
*Take 163 - 19.2 miles
*Turn right on US-95/VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY - 19.1 miles
*Turn RIGHT onto NV-164/W COTTONWOOD COVE RD - 13.5 miles Map
Its very well marked

Scream
04-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Just got back from a great weekend at Cottonwood. Searchlight Nevada off of US 95 is the closest "town". They've got gas stations there to fill up before the 14 mile road to the lake. Cottonwood Cove has a nice cafe, good food, nice store, lots of beer, and other necessities. A great ramp, I'd say 8 cars wide and quiet. I don't remember seeing anyone with thier hand out for a lauch fee either. At least I never paid one.
It's a lot nice than launching at Katherine. It's only about 30 to 40 minutes from Laughlin, so heading there at night is easy. Great place to explore Lake Mohave from in my opinion.

hd&boatrider
04-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Katherines is not where you are going....lets say you leave the Riverside and want to go to AZ and you take a R to go over the bridge. Well instead when you leave the Riverside you would take a L and go away from the river and up the mountain. I can't remember the HWY number though.

RacerX
04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
You guys are AWESOME!!!

hd&boatrider
04-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by LaveyJet
Is there a fee to launch at Cottonwood?
Is it still $10 at Katherines?
I have a season pass so I am not sure but that sounds about right when you price in the vehicle and the watercraft. I think it is good for 3 days.

hd&boatrider
04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Who's been up to the hot water spring pools up from Cottonwood? I've never been there but been told about them a few times from different peeps...
They say its unmarked but there is a small beach area to put the boat and hike up to the springs.
Anyone familiar with this? Sounds like a nice place to check out.
Jason is the expert on those springs....I know kinda where they are but have never got out of the boat and went in

hd&boatrider
04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
I totally agree with RC...you havre to be careful with the winds.
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Since you have that boat, I'd recommend you trailer the boat to Cottonwood. The basin can get really rough if the wind is blowing. Because the lake is close to north/south in orientation and the wind is usually north or south, the basin can get ocean like rough.
It should take you about 45 minutes from Laughlin to tow. That grade out of Laughlin is a doozie though. Try to get out early before the heat sets in. The grades isn't that long but is very steep.
Cottonwood has a great launch ramp, dock, etc. Try to get gas in Searchlight. Its cheaper there.
Go north out of Cottonwood and after about 4 miles or so, it gets relatively narrow and the lake is smoother there.
There are awesome beaches and coves to explore and its really bitchen up there.
Give it a shot. Just check the wind forecasts before and you will have a awesome day out there

mike37
04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
bin there one time and loved it
went up river to the dam
great day and the hotel there has realy nice rooms
and a great beach right in front of it
but if I had a boat smaler than 24' it would scarry
in the after noon the wind sucks as you come out of the
river into the open its like the ocean for obout 2 miles befor
cotonwood cove

Mohavekid
04-15-2004, 07:20 PM
The hot springs are great, especially when the weather is a little cool.
Check this site out for pretty good directions to the hot springs.
http://www.riverlakes.com/hot_springs.htm

BADBLOWN572
04-16-2004, 05:44 AM
I have gone to Cottonwood for the past 4 years and I love that place. When we stay in Laughlin, we always drive up to Cottonwood to launch that way we do not have to wait in the line and deal with the idiots at Katherines. Cottonwood's ramp is about 10 wide and is in excelent shape. By water it is 17 miles from the Dam to Cottonwood. Probably around 15 miles or so from Katherines. I would definitely suggest that you take a wakeboard boat up to Cottonwood ON THE TRAILER. I have been down at Gasoline Alley before and when we left it was glass. On the way back, it was mean going through the basin. There is no way that someone can imagine how mean Mojave gets until they are out there. I have been out on 4-6' rollers that make the lake look like an ocean. That is when you are thankful for a bigger boat. If you Launch at Cottonwood and go towards Hoover, you will be fine even if the winds and lake get mean. Wouldn't want to cross Big Basin to get back to Katherines though.
Drive up to Cottonwood, fill up in Searchlight, and have fun. I believe that Cottonwood is charging a $10 or $20 "day use" fee now on holiday weekends, but I do not think that it is charged on normal weekends. They also offer a years pass for somewhere around $100.
I have been to the hot springs, but they are not near Cottonwood, they are up near Willow Beach. My suggestion is to stay out of them! Last season we went up there and the day after everyone went in them, 5 people got sick. Some sort of bacteria or somthing in them.

Buff
04-16-2004, 06:00 AM
WARNING! WARNING! Do not fall for all the BS. Cottonwood is a nightmare! The lake is full of bacteria that you can see! The sewer-smelling wind blows ceaselessly. The launch ramp is in a state of dangerous disrepair. The food in the restaurant has killed two people that I know of. Any beach within five miles of the launch ramp is indistinquihable from a dump. The water cops are relentless with their pulling you over for DUI checks. There is a cove just north of cottonwood where the Hell's Angels drive their old Harleys down ten miles of dirt roads to party. If they catch you in their cove they sink you boat and take your women (and sometimes a guy or two). Also - I have never seen a female at Cottonwood that weighs less than 175 pounds! Stay at Havasu! That's where the action is. buff

Jetdriver
04-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Buff
WARNING! WARNING! Do not fall for all the BS. Cottonwood is a nightmare! The lake is full of bacteria that you can see! The sewer-smelling wind blows ceaselessly. The launch ramp is in a state of dangerous disrepair. The food in the restaurant has killed two people that I know of. Any beach within five miles of the launch ramp is indistinquihable from a dump. The water cops are relentless with their pulling you over for DUI checks. There is a cove just north of cottonwood where the Hell's Angels drive their old Harleys down ten miles of dirt roads to party. If they catch you in their cove they sink you boat and take your women (and sometimes a guy or two). Also - I have never seen a female at Cottonwood that weighs less than 175 pounds! Stay at Havasu! That's where the action is. buff
Another newbie tryin to keep everything to himself! Nice try buddy!

rivercrazy
04-16-2004, 07:58 AM
BB is right about the basin. One time we boated all the way from Katherines to the dam. Its was so flat you could see your face in the water the entire way up. But by the time we got back to the basin on the way back, there were 40mph winds from the south that kicked up 5-6 footers. They are also typically very close together and very dangerous for smaller craft. Thankfully that day we were in our 25' boat and we made it across fairly easily

RiverToysJas
04-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
I have gone to Cottonwood for the past 4 years and I love that place. When we stay in Laughlin, we always drive up to Cottonwood to launch that way we do not have to wait in the line and deal with the idiots at Katherines. Cottonwood's ramp is about 10 wide and is in excelent shape. ....
This man has a sick sence of humor and is lieing to you all!!! It's totally not worth the drive up to Cottonwood from Laughlin. You're much better off using the wide and well maintained ramp at Katherines, where there's safety in numbers.
I think Cottonwood charges like $30 to launch and $40 to retrieve. Not to mentionany many trailers have been lost in pot-holes and to sea monsters that live under the dock.
I have been to Cottonwood and would never go back.
RTJas :(

Jetdriver
04-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
This man has a sick sence of humor and is lieing to you all!!! It's totally not worth the drive up to Cottonwood from Laughlin. You're much better off using the wide and well maintained ramp at Katherines, where there's safety in numbers.
I think Cottonwood charges like $30 to launch and $40 to retrieve. Not to mentionany many trailers have been lost in pot-holes and to sea monsters that live under the dock.
I have been to Cottonwood and would never go back.
RTJas :(
You cant be serious! :mad:

RiverToysJas
04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
You cant be serious! :mad:
Well I am serious! ;)
RTJas :D

Scream
04-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Well I am serious! ;)
:confused:
It's a beautiful Ramp. At least 8 cars wide with NO LINE. Oh, I get it, trying to keep it a secret....
:wink:

Jetdriver
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Well I am serious! ;)
LOL! ;) ;) Nod Nod! I hate that place too! :D

CBLavey
04-16-2004, 10:53 PM
If you're driving up from San Diego, you can drive straight up I-15 and take the Searchlight turnoff which is just past the summit before you descend down to Las Vegas. Once you make the turn-off it's mostly a down hill shot, I think about 45 miles, as you pass through Searchlight down to Cottonwood.
The lake is much safer for your Malibu north of Cottonwood. The wind blows from the south just about every afternoon and the basin can get pretty lumpy - we used to have a Ski-Sanger and the afternoon ride down to Katherines can be brutal! :cool:

Kilrtoy
04-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Sea monsters, Now I know why i stay in hav-a-zoo

Outnumbered
04-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by CBLavey
If you're driving up from San Diego, you can drive straight up I-15 and take the Searchlight turnoff which is just past the summit before you descend down to Las Vegas. Once you make the turn-off it's mostly a down hill shot, I think about 45 miles, as you pass through Searchlight down to Cottonwood.
The lake is much safer for your Malibu north of Cottonwood. The wind blows from the south just about every afternoon and the basin can get pretty lumpy - we used to have a Ski-Sanger and the afternoon ride down to Katherines can be brutal! :cool:
What he said. Its Nipton Rd. Its at the crest of the hill when you can first see State Line when going north on I-15. That is the fastest way to Cottonwood from SoCal.

BADBLOWN572
04-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Down Nipton Road to the water. Directions couldn't be easier, 15 to Nipton road. If you hit the water you went too far.
http://www.op6c.com/mohave_03_04/images/DSC01173.jpg
Side shot of the launch ramp
http://www.op6c.com/mohave_03_04/images/DSC01181.jpg
Houseboat row at Cottonwood.
http://www.op6c.com/mohave_03_04/images/DSC01189.jpg
In my opinion, Cottonwood has some of the best facilities anywhere. The ramp is about 8 wide and I have never had a problem launching 30' boats. Docks are older, but in good condition. Hotel is always clean and has a Volley Ball court out front with a swim area for kids. The only downside of Cottonwood is that the water has a tendancy to get rough. Go left out of Cottonwood and you will be fine. Go right and you could have a major problem.

Debbolas
04-18-2004, 09:43 AM
never mind

MrWilliam
07-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Has anyone taken their RV to Cottonwood? Are the spaces wide? Do you know the length? We have a 27 ft RV and a 29 ft boat/ski trailer so it makes it pretty difficult to navigate if the spaces are short and narrow.
Thanks in advance for the replys...
William

FRENCHIE
07-09-2004, 09:01 AM
as far as Katherines landing i launched there three weeks ago, and they charged $15.00 to get in...no more day passes! that is a five day pass!:(

Slider
07-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Yep,$15.00 for 5 days or a year pass for $40.00

LUVNLIFE
07-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Cottonwood is a shit hole with long lines and high prices. You are better off at Katherines. The ramp is one lanewith aranger that has an ichy ticket finger. Stay away it's not worth the drive when Katherines is so close. BTW 30 to launch and 40 to retrieve? Wow they must have liked you it cost me more.

1coach3
07-11-2004, 10:54 AM
If I bought a year long pass at Katherines is it good at Cottonwood? It says its a pass for Lake Mead on it.

LAPII
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Would a 28 ft Deck be ok on the rough waters of Mohave? Never been there.

FRENCHIE
07-11-2004, 01:30 PM
hell yea ...its not the ocean! then again i have a buddy who took his 21 to catalina!;)

dicudmore
07-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 1coach3
If I bought a year long pass at Katherines is it good at Cottonwood? It says its a pass for Lake Mead on it.
yes, good any of the mohave entrances and mead

dicudmore
07-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
hell yea ...its not the ocean! then again i have a buddy who took his 21 to catalina!;)
my dad used to take a 15' Glaspar to catalina regularly....
I feel comfy in my 29 on mohave ;)

FRENCHIE
07-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
my dad used to take a 15' Glaspar to catalina regularly....
I feel comfy in my 29 on mohave ;)
wel comfy it up and get your butt on the water sat a.m.!!:rolleyes: ;)

Big Warlock
07-12-2004, 07:59 PM
OK OK I have to put my penny in. I know Mohave inside and out. A beautiful ride to Cottonwood in the morning, but watch out in the afternoon. It can be very rough. Often times, smaller craft do not make it back to Katherine's. That's a fact. I had a 26 ft Scarab, and broke a guys tailbone on the ride back. If you have K Planes or tabs, put them down, trim up a bit and hold on and you'll be plenty wet! But you can get home!
Cottonwood has excellent facilities. Gas and all. Above Cottonwood is the real gem. One of the most beautiful boat rides ever, all the way to the dam, depending on the water level. You'll hit a no wake zone at the river at Willow Springs. They have gas and facilities there as well. Great secret location to boat when Mead is windy! At Willow Beach, they provide maps to the hot springs. Easy to find above Willoe Beach. First, look for the porta potties. Second, you'll see the rubber rafts with tourists parked at them. Warning! Water level will rise and fall in a few minutes. I have see boats stranded within an hour. Water is damn cold, freezing! So you need to have a good back anchor and then tie off one of the trees on shore or stake. Hot springs are well marked for possible bacteria. Don't inhale or drink the water. Been there for the past 15 years and nothing has ever happened.
I run a 29 foot World Class with no trouble all the way to the dam in under an hour. Around 75 mph. The mile marker 68 is the last safe "passage" Then start to be on the lookout for low water.
Also, watch out for the liberal, Kerry voting pinkos in canoes. They think they own the place and it's a nature venture. (They fail to realize it's my church!!) When they give you the one finger salute, I usually double back and circle them with the boat to ensure they are ok. The look in their eyes of fear as the water gets pretty big as I am going slow around them and have the K Planes down. I can't hear them over the roar of the engine, but what the hell, I have tried to assist. Once I see their lungs are still full of air, I give them the Republican Salute and away I go. Safe to say they won't be in Laughlin later at night.
You won't be sorry, but trailer to Cottonwood unless you are good with the rough water!