PDA

View Full Version : What's a good blown engine temp?

FASTERDAMITT
04-15-2003, 03:18 PM
I never seen over 115 deg. Don't we get a lot of condensation under the valve covers at those temps?

Craig
04-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Mine usually runs about there as well. What more important is the oil temp. If it gets over 212, it'll burn off any residual water trapped in the motor. The water's just going in and out, one pass, it really never will pick up that much heat. It cools more by volume!

cookieman
04-15-2003, 05:32 PM
I have a blown 509, and my water temps is around 150. My oil temp will be around 200 to 220. I do get a little condesation inside the valve covers. The oil is still clear and not milky in the pan.I just put a oil temp gage on the motor and will check the temp when I shut the motor down for a little float time.

FASTERDAMITT
04-15-2003, 08:06 PM
I don't think mine is getting warm enough to evaporate the condensation developing in the engine. I have a lot of milk in the head rocker arm area but no signs of it in the oil that I can see. Maybe it will go away when it warms up more? What about anyone else's. Could you check yours if you've run your boat this spring?
:confused: Thanks

Rexone
04-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Condensation in the valve covers is common especially around water and high humidity when the engine cools. This condensation has little to do with running temp from my experience. Also water will evaporate (not boil) at less than 200ยบ. Just takes a bit longer. 200+ is ideal for oil temp though, lower is not that good.

DBM
04-15-2003, 09:31 PM
A little milk in the valve train is very common.
As long as it's not in your pan area, then ya could have some issues.
Oil should be hot enough to burn the condensation off the piston skirt's. wich is a by product of combustion.

paradigm shift
04-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Do you run a PCV valve? If not it will help especially with condensation under valve covers. I know PCV with a blower! Yes I run one and so do many others.

FASTERDAMITT
04-16-2003, 01:21 PM
No pcv here. I run vent only near the back of my Procharger. Not a source of vacuum. Just open atmospheric. I have a pressurized carb box so the only place to run would be to the intake manifold.

gotriver
04-16-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm running my first blown motor with aluminum heads and innercooler. At water temp of 140 I get lots of steam from the valve cover vents and an oder of hot oil. My mechanic tells me this is normal for this time of year with the cool water and air temps. Hope so........