PDA

View Full Version : What does anyone think about superchargers

Give Me Some Slack
04-15-2004, 07:45 PM
I would like to get a supercharger but they are expensive and do they really do that much for trucks and suv's. I have 2002 Tahoe. It is a gas guzzler. 12-16 mpg no boat. 9-12 with toybox or boat.

bigq
04-15-2004, 10:45 PM
They work great on a Ford or a Dodge ,but not a chevy.:D

dc96819
04-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Best improvement on my truck,get the whipple or radix,the radix has a intercooler with it,the whipple is lot easier to install.Id say if you only want 6 to 8 lbs of boost get the whipple:)

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 06:42 AM
I have a Whipple SC on my 2003 6.0L 2500HD and I love it. I was extremely dissappointed with the motor when I bought the truck. It was a dog, sucked gas around town, and even worse towing. I put the Whipple on myself in one long Saturday, paid about $5500 for everything, and I love the truck now. Runs smooth, very quiet, don't know it's there until you need it and then.....one hella kick in the pants. It's been very reliable so far, 18,000 miles on it and only one major problem but Whipple took care of me and replaced the whole compressor in two days. Turns out it had a bad bearing, fluke deal. I get 13mpg around town and in traffic and about 10 mpg towing my 14,000lb toy hauler and 13 to 14 towing the boat, truck doesn't even know it's back there. Only down side is having to run super-unleaded, hurts a little at the gas pump, but my milage has actually increased when towing because the truck doesn't have to work nearly as hard.
I have also heard good things about the Radix SC but I don't have any personal experience with them. PM me if you want more info. about the Whipple.
Good luck,
Chris

Give Me Some Slack
04-16-2004, 09:49 AM
I have never heard of Radix. I have heard that whipple is real good. Are there any other modifications that I would have to do. I talk to a guy at the river that put in a whipple supercharger in, he had also put in a new fuel management system in. He also put on headers, an exhaust system, and an air intake system. He didn't say if he needed the fuel management system.

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 10:19 AM
The kit that Whipple sells is a complete kit that will work with no other mod's needed, it comes with a better flowing air cleaner......that being it said it's a good idea to put a free flowing exhaust and intake, it can only help. I did headers, 3" flow master exhaust, and a K&N FIP Kit. All helped the engine breath better and run cooler. I also used the Whipple Programmer when I installed the SC, it allowed me to correct spedo for tire change and also eliminate Torque Management, a GM programming thing that makes the truck shift weak and limits engine power to the tranny. It was designed to make the tranny last longer but it makes it drive and tow like a piece of Sh$t. For the guys with the half ton trucks I have heard that some minor work should be done to the tranny but I'm not sure what. With the 3/4 ton the 4L80 hasn't given me any problems.

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Here's a link that has a lot of good info. Go to the Performance section and Supercharger section.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/index.php?s= (http://)

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 10:24 AM
The Radix is made by Magnacharger,
here's a link.
Magnacharger (http://magnacharger.com/systems.htm)
I'm partial to the Whipple but I have heard good things about the Radix.

Give Me Some Slack
04-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I have did some modifications to my Tahoe. Things include a flow master exhaust and a hypertec computer programmer. I noticed a difference when towing a boat. It did less shifting with the programmer.

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I had the hypertech before and it helped but you have to remove it before a SC install. Hypertech won't work with any of the Superchargers. Sold mine on e-bay.
Like I said before the supercharger made the truck a whole different truck. I can't imagine not having one now. Definately worth the money.

Give Me Some Slack
04-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks I didn't know that about putting in a SC. I thought once the hypertec was used, It only works for that vehicle. I tried using it on some elses truck and it didn't work?

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 11:16 AM
You can only use it on one truck at a time. If you install it on your truck it stores your stock info in the programmer and custom tunes your truck. If you remove the tuning, put it back to stock, the tuner can then be used on another truck that the progammer is made for, but only one at a time. It's there way of making sure no-one does what you tried to do....buy one programmer and use it on a bunch of trucks. Their just trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Tommy1005
05-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Another good supercharger to look at is the ATI procharger. If you're interested in any of these please contact me, and I will make you the best deal I can on one. Some will say the ATI lacks low-end, but I can attest there is plenty of low end with the 9lb kit, and it has a really nice front-mount intercooler.

blownfear
05-09-2004, 10:20 PM
hey gmss give whipple a call and talk to josh he will be more than happy to talk to you about the advantages of a whipple. i hated my whipple a few weeks ago, after i talked to him i love it again.:)

SoCalOffshore
05-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Buy a diesel and get a Predator. Cheaper fuel cost and will run for a couple hundred thousand miles or more. But SC's are great on Corvettes. :D

Just Tool'n
05-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
Buy a diesel and get a Predator. Cheaper fuel cost and will run for a couple hundred thousand miles or more. But SC's are great on Corvettes. :D
What is a predator for a diesel?
Hop up of the PCM?

JetBoatRich
05-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
Buy a diesel and get a Predator. Cheaper fuel cost and will run for a couple hundred thousand miles or more.
cheaper fuel cost:confused: diesel prices right now exceed gas by way to much:mad:

SoCalOffshore
05-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
cheaper fuel cost:confused: diesel prices right now exceed gas by way to much:mad:
Yes, they are screwing us on diesel prices, but it is still cheaper than super. Diesel should be cheaper than regular gas. The Predator reprogrmas the PCM and can increase HP up to 125 HP and large torque increases as well. I have a Dmax and don't have it on mine. I think the stock power is great, but many have spoken very highly of the Predator on here and the Dmax web site.