PDA

View Full Version : New Diesel Truck, What Kind Of Lift?

Give Me Some Slack
04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
My Bro is getting a new chevy 2500 HD diesel, four door, 4x4, short bed. He is thinking of getting a CST lift. Heard it was the best lift for chevy trucks?

SD Chris
04-16-2004, 07:38 AM
CST or RCD, how high does he want to go

Wildboats
04-16-2004, 07:52 AM
chek this place out. http://rockstartrux.com/index.html I have got some good deals from them.

STV_Keith
04-16-2004, 08:05 AM
I'd start with a horsepower lift. :) 245 ain't gonna cut it. http://www.dieseldynamics.com

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 08:15 AM
For a 6" lift and 35's the CST is a full front diff drop, puts a lot of angle on the dive shaft. RCD is a 4" front diff with 2" spindles, this splits the lift angle between the drive shaft and CV axle shafts. Both are good lifts but my personnel choice is the RCD and it's a little cheaper and comes with nickel coated Bilsteins. Just my 2 cents.

Give Me Some Slack
04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
He wants to go to an 8-9 inch lift. CST has a 11 inch in the front and a 9 inch in the back. What is the difference between and CST lift and a RCD lift?

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Going that tall I'd go with the CST.
CST and RCD are just two different manufactures but RCD doesn't make anything that tall that I know of.
CST and Full Throttle both made quality lifts in the 8-9 range and up.

sigepmock
04-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Keith is right, going that tall on the diesel and he gonna need to talk to Keith about more power to push those big tires around.

Give Me Some Slack
04-16-2004, 10:35 AM
I have heard the Edge Juice is the way to go!

SD Chris
04-17-2004, 11:16 AM
going 9 inch suspension you could probably run 37s, (If it were me I would get a nice set of 18s and run Nitto 37" Terra Grapplers) but your gonna need some more horsepower and need to regear. Talk to Rudy at X industries in anaheim. He knows his shit and can get something rigged up that will keep your steering and other CV joints lasting for a long time. If your going that high you might need heims joints etc. Big lifts tear shit up so make sure its done right
www.californiasupertrucks.com
www.socalsupertrucks.com
www.imzzindustries.com
www.fullsizechevy.com/forum

STV_Keith
04-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Give Me Some Slack
I have heard the Edge Juice is the way to go!
Yep, and I can get you a deal on them. :D

Havasu Cig
04-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Just FYI, the warranty on the Allison will be voided with the lift and larger tires. I leveled our's out, and put some Welds and 285's on it, and the dealer said that was pushing it, but I could probably get by if something were to happen because all the stock suspension components are still on the truck.
I was just down at PG Series this morning looking at lifts and thought maybe I could get away with a 4" with some 33's. I called the dealership from PG and he said I would be on my own if something happened to the tranny.
Allison sent out a memo several months ago saying they would no longer honor warranties on lifted trucks with larger than stock tires. I have an 80k warranty, and am towing 12k# so I can't take the chance right now with only 5k miles on the truck. Maybe down the road. :confused:

fourspeednup
04-18-2004, 12:59 AM
Took them awhile, my buddy was a trans tech at a chevy dealership and they were replacing allisons right and left under warranty at 70K+ miles on all the lifted trucks----he was getting paid, but GM must have lost a good chunk of cash on all those jobs. According to him the internals are tough, but the electronic controls received incorrect info after bigger, heavier tires were put on and in true technical lingo: done ****ed shit up! Be sure to regear if going any bigger than 33's, especially if the warranty is voided since it'll be on your friends dime and you want that thing to live as long as possible:cool:

Havasu Cig
04-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Good advice...I was saying the same thing yesterday when I was at PG about re-gearing.

FlatUgly
04-18-2004, 06:56 PM
I sell both RCD and Fabtech out of my store , imo the fabtech is a stronger lft 1/4 plate so if your gonna wheel it thats the way I would go , if its just a driver the rcd w/ the bilstiens will be nice Ryan

cdog
04-18-2004, 11:09 PM
I had a 02 Hd Crew Cab Long bed on 38's and had room for 39.5's. California Supertrucks did the install in June 02. I went with the Full Throttle Lift 9 inch with avalanch tortion keys and a set of custom top A arms. Full throttles a arm set up sucked back then. Mabey it's different now. But my truck drove better than most trucks on 35's. Most of the quality is with the company who installs this stuff.

SD Chris
04-19-2004, 05:58 AM
Call this number and ask for Rudy. He can tell you everything you want to know about the lift, whether you want to 6 inches all the way up to 18 inches. Specifically what problems and what to watch out for on suspension lifts. 714-635-2370
As far as the warranty goes, San Diego has a dick of a service rep for chevrolet, I know this because I worked at quality chevrolet in escondido. He put a sign on our mechanic's part counter it read "If its not broken in half or falling off the vehicle, I am not paying for it" -- Your service rep....... He is a dick, I have a GMC and he wouldnt sign the paper so I could get my truck serviced at the Chevy dealer I work for.

HotHallet
04-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Gear it once you are done!!!!

Give Me Some Slack
04-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I forgot that you have to regear it. What about the drive shafts?

fourspeednup
04-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I forgot that you have to regear it. What about the drive shafts?
Talk to the experts, but any more than a 6" should require an extension. As far as the u-joints, you'll get pretty good at replacing them;)

UnionJack
04-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Call mark at bulletproof, there lift is great my truck is on 40's, witht he edge juice, exhaust, filter, and it moves

CustomCruiser
04-20-2004, 02:59 PM
I have an 8" lift on my F350 and they lengthened the front drive shaft as part of the lift kit. I just re-geared as well. While you're having the gears swapped, you can add polished alum diff covers for more bling!
Check out this web site. It has several calculators that show you your adjusted speed, adjusted gear ratio, and what you should regear to. When you decide on new gears, take into account what you'll be using your truck for (don't over gear it).
4LO.COM (http://www.4lo.com)

Give Me Some Slack
04-20-2004, 04:43 PM
UnionJack, that truck looks tight. Those are the rims he wants to get. He wants 17 inch rims with 37 inch tires. What rear end should he get. 4:10?

SD Chris
04-20-2004, 10:16 PM
those are the weld evo rims, if i am not mistaken, they are pretty expensive. i am telling you 18s are 37 inch nittos will look good

UnionJack
04-20-2004, 11:12 PM
They are EVO "Weld" renagade XT 17' x 10", if you look for them they are pretty much $400 a wheel, but I love them, I have 10k on my 40's and my rims are 5 months old... for the right price I would get rid of them, tires brand new were $380, and wheels were $410, and that is with out tax, with the right deal I would go get 20's
here is a pic of the wheel

Give Me Some Slack
04-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah I think 18 would be better. If it was my truck I would put on 20's.

HBjet
04-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by SD Chris
(If it were me I would get a nice set of 18s and run Nitto 37" Terra Grapplers)
Way too loud!

STV_Keith
04-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by HYSTRUNG
Hey SVT Keith, I know that you favor Cummins but have you had any experience with a Wicked Wheel on Garrett turbos on Fords?
I have read it is similar to the 99 turbo wheels but not certain. I have a 03 7.3 PSD and I have been noticing some stall under load. I can't really afford a new BB turbo right now so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.
thanks
Not sure exactly what the Wicked Wheel is. I have heard of it, just never seen one. We do have an upgraded turbo for the 7.3. More aggressive compressor wheel and removed EBP valve out of the back. Usually good for about 150* drop in EGT.

SD Chris
04-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
Way too loud!
Loud is 44" superswampers or boggers, terra grapplers arent that bad, personally I like a little bit of a hum