the best way to go with that . strainer or not
its on a hallett vector std water pickup i bought
a water pickup from rex hate to drill a big hole
in the botom of the boat. i live in havasu who
installs these. i have know time.
thanks for the info guys.

Rexone
02-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Strainers are highly recommended to keep out weeds and stuff, particularly on pickup systems that have pump suction on the water pickup. Most the time (not all the time) its idling around where this stuff is sucked in, then you take off with partially clogged line or fitting and overheat shortly thereafter. If you're lucky you see it and shut down. Having ski raced many years in many boats, I've seen the benefits of having strainers and the results of not having them first hand. Most the time there's nothing in them, but it's that one time that can save the motor. In your situation if you're force feeding the chiller only, it would not be "as" critical you run a strainer, unless this water is also routing through the engine too. Still, a clogged chiller can present a big problem if you rely on it to run hard and your tune up is dependent on that cool intake temp...you won't see that on your water temp gauge...the motor will just detonate because of the higher intake temp all of a sudden.
Here's a link to our recently released new Superstrainer (http://www.rexmar.com/page173.html)
If you have questions just send a PM and I'll do my best to answer them for you. :)

Hallett
02-08-2003, 05:11 PM
thanks mike for the info looks like i need a strainer its only another few hunded . well if i dont get one could be a few thousand.
thanks for the fast reply mike.

Hallett
02-08-2003, 05:23 PM
hey mike i am force feeding the chiller do i still
need a strainer . i bought that water pickup with
the shut off valve from you guys is that a good one.

Rexone
02-08-2003, 06:10 PM
As I said above, the force fed chiller isn't "as" critical as the pump fed motor feed...that is until you get something in that line and clog the chiller and detonate the motor. I've seen it happen on force fed turbo intercoolers and burn the engine right down... likely - no, possible - yes. I guess it depends on your tolerance to gambling the odds. Me, not much of a gambler, I run 2 strainers, one for the engine, one for the intercooler circuit. To comment on what pickup and valve you got I'd have to know what you got. :)

blown23vee
02-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Just my two cents - I wouldn't put that deal
together without a strainer...I'm only running
a blown 468 with a 250 B&M with a chiller & I run
a strainer. I used the one from Teague Marine...
call them & they'll fill you in on the importance
of one if Mike hasn't already convinced you.

Hallett
02-11-2003, 10:10 PM
THANKS GUYS FOR THE STRAINER INFO I THINK IT WOULD
BE SMART TO RUN A STRAINER.