PDA

View Full Version : It's alive

wrightnow
04-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Well today my new motor (built by DNE) hit the Westech dyno. After many pulls and mixed results from all the changes my final numbers peaked at 812hp, 700fp at around 6300rpmÂ’s. I will post all the numbers once I get them. But from what I saw today a dyno is truly a great tuning tool that is a must to achieve these kinds of numbers.
Motor spec. BBC 490.4
Chevy d-port alum heads
Full roller rocker
Eldbrook tunnel ram
6109 750 carbs
high compression (av-gas motor)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/1000Dsc03527-med.jpg
Mark

MudPumper
04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Congrats, motor looks great!!!!!! Now I'm gonna sit back and wait for all the naysayers to start talking shit about Westech, DNE, etc., etc., etc.,. You know how it can get around here. :D ;)

wrightnow
04-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks, I welcome all the naysayer, I just would like them to come to the river and prove the number wrong...lol

MudPumper
04-15-2004, 11:10 PM
And that's what it is all about, runnin at the river. It's amazing to see the numbers rise on the dyno after doing something as simple as changing jets in the carb or changing the timing. Dyno is well worth the money to get the motor set up right.

Jetboatguru
04-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Those numbers are horseshit!!!!
Come on give up the real #s.
That dyno is hot and you know it. No way a 490 inch Chevy can make 812. How can you live with yourself knowing you made these false claims?
What were the break specifics @ 7298 rpm?
What was the torque @ 6746 rpm
Was the adjusted altitude above sea level?
:D :D
Seriously, she looks stout!!
Clean looking piece.

BIGAMIST
04-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Lookin good Mark:D

Jake W
04-16-2004, 04:43 AM
Mark I am glad to see the motor done and the boat about to be put back togeather.I am really intrested in what it will run.
Did you guys make any other set up canges to the hull and pump to run this motor?Also about how far up is the motor?
Thanks Jake :)

Big Proppa
04-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Wrightnows Cp was a rocket with the 600+ hp he was running last season. I can't wait to see how quick she'll be with the 800+ she has now. It's going to be nutts.

wrightnow
04-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Jetboatguru -- thanks, can always count on you
BIGAMIST -- Are we going to see you this summer maybe on the 15th?
Jake, I'm with you on this, glad the motors done and I plan to start doing some testing next weekend.
As far as hardware changes:
I have a new bronze a-b impeller was running a B
Added a droop
Moved the motor forward 2 1/2 more inches from 21 1/2 to 24 inches
Last year I was running 5600rpm with the B impeller somwhere around 94mph, so this is going to be fun in my famliy boat...lol
Mark

hack job
04-16-2004, 06:53 AM
mark she looks sweet!
iam glad its all done . maybe saturday we will help you drop her in;)
let me know what time were fliping the other one?;) :D
p.s. those #'s are nothing to shake a stick at;)

MAXIMUS
04-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Nice lookin piece...:) Good power!;)

TRG
04-16-2004, 08:15 AM
lookin good mark!

78Eliminator
04-16-2004, 08:33 AM
When does it go in the boat? How fast was the boat before and what was the previous redline? Did you also make changes to your drive system?

Jim Anderson
04-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by hack job
mark she looks sweet!
iam glad its all done . maybe saturday we will help you drop her in;)
let me know what time were fliping the other one?;) :D
p.s. those #'s are nothing to shake a stick at;)
I was standing her shaking a stick at the dyno numbers and then I thought, "hey, those are nothing to shake a stick at."
Wrightnow, that engine looks kickass and if DNE did the motor it will kickass. I am throwing away my stick rightnow (pun intended)

HBjet
04-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Glad you got your motor so you can stop asking me to borrow mine...:D
Those are some good numbers, and your going to be pretty damn quick this summer. Can't wait to see the boat on the water.
HBjet

flat broke
04-16-2004, 09:30 AM
LOOKs Tits Mark!!!!
Better than that, it sounds like its kicking some serious ass!!!! You Fockers are making it harder and harder to justify running one carb :D Would a Dooley T-ram scoop poking up out of the hatch look gay on the Spectra?
Whats for breakfast on Saturday?
Talk to you later,
Chris

HBjet
04-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by flat broke
Would a Dooley T-ram scoop poking up out of the hatch look gay on the Spectra?
Hell No! Especially when you buy mine!
HBjet

jet4fun
04-16-2004, 10:00 AM
congrats mark, nice piece. hope to see you guys out at the river a couple of times this year if everything works out

flat broke
04-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
Hell No! Especially when you buy mine!
HBjet
That's not helping. :D
Chris

cyclone
04-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm calling BS. No way. No How. Can't be done with that little motor. :D
excuse me while i go smack myself in the head for being an idiot. :D
tell me its not the sticker that's makin' all of those ponys!

Hustler
04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
tell me its not the sticker that's makin' all of those ponys!
Nope!! It's the valve covers:D

squirt
04-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Mark that looks great, I bet that thing screamed on the dyno:D
I'm leaving for Jim's house in a few hours and we'll hit the road around 1:00am. We will see ya tomorrow around 8am. Thanks a million you guys are tops:D
Don

MikeF
04-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I pretty much know.....the time it takes you to finish reading this sentence, You'll nearly be at the top speed of your boat! :eek: :D
It's gonna be QUICK!:D

Cs19
04-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Lookin good Mark, but you came up 15 horse short.
LOL, I couldnt resist.
Im only kidding, thats a bitchen motor and that gullwing will be hard to beat this summer on the river.:D
Good luck with the installation and final rigging.Hopefully we can go test soon.Off to work on the boat...Cs19

wrightnow
04-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks again guys, I'll pass it alone to Dave about the good work he does. Thje plan is to drop the motor in Saturday afternood sometime and start rigging. I hope to have everthing before next weekend. but we will see.
Todd - I will be call soon to get the scoop painted...lol
Flat Broke - Go for the tunnel ram and be done once and for all (then you will be flat broke)
Hustler - I heard polishing them adds another 10hp
CS19 - I wanted that extra 15hp but just could not come up with the $$$
Big Proppa - remember "gullwing or go-home"
Is it may 15 yet.....
Mark

BIGAMIST
04-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by wrightnow
BIGAMIST -- Are we going to see you this summer maybe on the 15th?
Mark
Gonna try & make it Saturday,come out late Friday night,go home Saturday night.

HBjet
04-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by BIGAMIST
Gonna try & make it Saturday,come out late Friday night,go home Saturday night.
Solo run, or are you bringing the little cutie with ya?
What about the boat?
HBjet

BIGAMIST
04-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
Solo run, or are you bringing the little cutie with ya?
What about the boat?
HBjet
Yep solo,you know how it is goin out with a 12 year old:D always in school:wink: .If I make it out I'm bringing the boat:)

LVjetboy
04-17-2004, 04:01 PM
"high compression (av-gas motor)...so this is going to be fun in my famliy boat...lol"
Just my thought, at that level av-gas and family boat don't belong in the same sentence.
In fact, the lakes I run only supply 89 at best, sometimes 87, so engines needing 91+++ octane and family boats are a different breed. Pump vs dock gas. Guess the future? Sucks to pull the boat every fill-up. A bit less "family" or lake friendly.
That said, your engine's way sweet! Another DNE work of art. From your baseline numbers I'm thinking Cyclone's got big time competition. I'll guess 109 mph...a bit more when dialed. Good job Wrightnow. One more transom I'll be seeing at Freeboard. :) But I'll be glad to give you a run...
jer

HBjet
04-17-2004, 04:14 PM
In Parker, you can get AV in town, and Mark just makes sure he has enough for the weekend at his campsite and either fills up the boat when it's still on the water, or if he takes it out for the night. AV gas is pretty common in Parker for boaters, so I think he can get away with AV gas family boat. Lost Lake used to have a pump at there resort selling Trick at one point. Not bad for a little desert river resort.
HBjet

LVjetboy
04-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Like I said, "where I boat" Lake Mead marina's 89 octane. Lake Powell 87 octane. Sure you can fill with race gas in Las Vegas as with Parker but then you'd be returning to the ramp and cartin' jugs to the ramp for fillup. Not my idea of a true family boat. Is that yours? My idea of a family, or better "lake" jet is fillup at the marina and run all day if you choose...no engine octane limit.
jer

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
... Not my idea of a true family boat. Is that yours? My idea of a family, or better "lake" jet is fillup at the marina and run all day if you choose...no engine octane limit.
In Havasu...both Havagas and Terrible's have 100 octane.
I would never fill up at a marina again. 87 (questionable) octane at the marina is about the same price as 100 octane at Terrible's.
My boat holds 60 gallons...and I carry my family on the lake, and put 100 octane in it.
Nothing like the smell of 100 octane in the morning...smells like...victory.

LVjetboy
04-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Like I posted, "at that level"
With 60 gallons of gas, do you run the same level of performance as Wrightnow? Yours no doubt a true family or lake boat both heavier and slower, holding more gas...more weight too. Not the same level of performance as Wrightnow. Therefore different categories in my opinion. Victory's relative. Apples to oranges. Run me if you doubt.
I'm sure some could burn 100 gallons of av gas in a family boat and run all day...not that it'd go fast. They may run a 15 speaker stereo blender and neon lights. Plus stabin cabin, wet bar, 40 lb anchor and room for eight. That's why I mentioned "at that level" 3 posts ago when I compared a low profile av gas burner to "family" boat. Family or lake boats come in all sizes, but when you figure size plus performance plus gas restrictions, plus amenities...etc...etc... Apples separate from the oranges.
jer

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
That's why I mentioned "at that level" 3 posts ago when I compared to "family" boat.
jer
I think it's all an individual (or family) compromise...and depends on where you boat.
For example...some people think taking up room wih stereo gear means it's not a family boat. Wacky people.
BTW...very nice boat Wrightnow.

wrightnow
04-17-2004, 07:15 PM
I really only boat at big river and I can get av-gas just as easy as 91 so I choose to run av-gas. The boat is pulled out every night anyway and I can run all day on a fill-up so it's not really a problem for me. With the water dropping ever night most everone pulls the boats at night and goes to parker for gas.
But if i boat anywhere else it would be an issue and I would have to agree not a family boat.
But thanks lvjetboy and I will see you at the FB

wrightnow
04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
riodog, I was going to drop the motor in today, but because of the rain I decided against it. So sunday should be the day for rigging. I will post pic though....
Mark

Cs19
04-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Mark,Sorry to hear the rain set you guys back. Hopefully you guys can pull it off tomorrow, good luck!
I got quite a bit done today on the daytona today, things are looking better.Next weekend is still a long shot, Mothers' day weekend is my new goal for testing.
Did you get a chance to work on your scoop tray at all?
See ya,Cs.

RENEGADE 3#
04-18-2004, 02:08 AM
just wonderd are you planning on a new motor every other season? those motors are race only right. GOOD LUCK..:wink:

Jake W
04-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Jer do you consiter your Place Craft a family boat?
Jake
:D

LOWRIVER2
04-18-2004, 07:49 AM
For the record:
WN's boat has pulled his kids on tubes behind that CP for the last 5 years. I'd say that's a family boat, regardless of what fuel it runs.
Mark:
1.Looks good
2.Have fun
3. Buy a Lifeline

LVjetboy
04-18-2004, 09:38 AM
"Jer do you consider your Place Craft a family boat?"
Only if you'd consider a Vette a "family car" :)
Or maybe if family's just the wife and you? I only run two seats...stereo takes up the back.
Seriously, I wouldn't classify the Dragn a family boat no matter because most peoples idea of family means room for kids all their junk and maybe a dog or two. I've carried 4 pax before when I had a (barely functional) back seat, also have skied and tubed with it but those uses not in it's nature. With OT's it's hard to board and not what you'd call kid friendly. Dogs out of the question. So no, it's not a family boat. But it runs dock gas so I think it qualifies as a true lake boat.
On average I burn about 30 gallons a day on the lake. With 26 gallons total, that means I need to top off at least once, sometimes twice at the docks. If I ran AV gas, that'd be a major challenge to lake boat status for me. And the other half of my "family" would no doubt agree :)
Not that any of this is important...just rambling.
jer

Cs19
04-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Your right Jer, none of this matters, but I'll ramble a little too.
Our family ski boat (souwind tunnell) was 12.5:1 and we ran on a mixture of av and 92. We ran that boat on every stretch of the Colorado River, Havasu, Sac. Delta, etc. for my whole childhood, I learned to ski,skurf (remember skurfers?) knee board, I did it all behind that thing. It had a tiny back seat, but we got by with it.
We knew of every friggin airport near the river that would sell av to us, we even used to bulshit the guys at the airports and tell em the av was for our ultralites..LOL, those were the good ol' days when you could run on Havasu in a 19' ft. boat while sippin' off a "bucket" from the Nautical Inn and have no problems at all.
Any updates on the boat Wrightnow? Can't wait to see some pics.

Taylorman
04-19-2004, 09:07 AM
I've heard that its illegal to sell AV gas for non aviation use. Is this true?
Looks like Cyclone will get a run for his money from the White Boat.

flat broke
04-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Taylorman,
The issue with the "legality" of selling av gas for cars is more of a taxation issue. Av gas isn't subject to highway use taxes etc, hence the reason that 110 av gas is as cheap as 91 from Chevron etc.
I don' t know what the penalty would be if someone sold you the gas for on highway use without collecting the taxes, but thats probably why they've just told you it was illegal.
So of course this information brings up an interesting point.... If the 91 I pump into my boat is taxed for highway use, shouldn't someone be cutting me a check for those taxes since the gas wasn't used for a oh highway vehicle? Same could be said for the gas I buy to put in the lawn mower etc. :)
Chris

Blown 472
04-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Taylorman,
The issue with the "legality" of selling av gas for cars is more of a taxation issue. Av gas isn't subject to highway use taxes etc, hence the reason that 110 av gas is as cheap as 91 from Chevron etc.
I don' t know what the penalty would be if someone sold you the gas for on highway use without collecting the taxes, but thats probably why they've just told you it was illegal.
So of course this information brings up an interesting point.... If the 91 I pump into my boat is taxed for highway use, shouldn't someone be cutting me a check for those taxes since the gas wasn't used for a oh highway vehicle? Same could be said for the gas I buy to put in the lawn mower etc. :)
Chris
Not to mention it is a felony to run leaded gas in cars or boats. But I dont think they are checking it yet.

Boater Bill
04-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Chris [/B]
Not to change the subject of this thread but you were once able to apply for a refund of highway taxes if you kept good records of fuel used for off highway purposes. I don't know if that is still applicable today but I don't see why not.
And oh, Mark - nice:D

Cs19
04-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Ok enough about fuel, lets see some pics Mark!!
I put in about 23 hours on my boat this weekend, im sure your doing the same right about now which is why we have not seen any pics.