PDA

View Full Version : Lake Havasu Marina

htm632
04-16-2004, 09:05 AM
April 14, 2004
I have been a member of Lake Havasu Marina for five years, and until two weeks ago, I had two permanent slips that I waited for a long period of time to have.
Having a second home in Lake Havasu, I use these slips frequently. I have two boats at this time, a new 30' boat and a 23' Chaparral deck boat.
I was terminated by the marina two weeks ago. After having several conversations with the managing staff at Lake Havasu Marina and getting verbal approval to moor my new boat in my existing slip until a slip became available that would accommodate my 30' boat, I was told that I was number one or two on the waiting list after waiting 8 months. I frequently boat on the weekends in Lake Havasu. Making arrangements with the Lake Havasu Marina staff, knowing them well because I have been a member there for 5 years, it was indicated to me that I would be able to put my 30 foot boat in slip that I had, which happens to be in an extra wide waterway. That worked for one night until Jeff Bekkedahl, the marina manager happened to be walking the boat slips and saw my new boat in my existing slip. At that time, he locked the boat up to the docks. When I came down to remove the boat from the slip and put it on a trailer on a Sunday morning, I found that the boat was locked to the docks. I went to the office to find out why, and Jeff Bekkedahl came out screaming at the top of his lungs like I was some type of criminal, while waving his arms and demeaning me, indicating that I was not following the marina rules. Mind you, I pay the marina $325 per month for slip rentals and I have never been late in my payments in the last 5 years. I tried to indicate this to him several times during this confrontation, that.one of the main staff people at the marina had given me prior permission to temporarily moor my 30' while I was waiting for my spot on the waiting list to be open. He seemed to not care either way and terminated the use of both of my slips. After being there over 5 years and knowing the background, I try to be as elusive as possible. I launch my boat in the early morning or late evening to assure that there is no conflict with the marina. Although, there really never is any conflict except with Jeff. As everyone knows, he discriminates tremendously against any type of performance boaters. Since I have a second home in Havasu, my family uses our deck boat frequently in the Summer months.
During, this long screaming episode (mind you, all the screaming was done by Jeff, I was doing all the listening), I did have a close friend with me at this time that is in the legal profession. He was utterly amazed at Jeff's behavior.
On top of that, I had a custom set of Gatlin mufflers made that are over 20" long when I built my new 30' boat to ensure that this thing was as quiet as possible so that it would follow all marina rules. After his demeaning behavior and screaming, walking away saying that he would be sending me a termination letter, I was in awe wondering what I even did. You would have thought by his behavior that I had just run over his dog. After I returned to California, I thought this out and decided to write the marina a letter and try to solve the issue. I sent a certified letter to the marina, which was accepted, and I explained to him that I had been a member for 5 years, and have never had a late payment in those 5 years or been notified that I had violated any rules. I use their facilities for gas, ice and everything else that is needed. I asked in the letter why he was terminating me from not only the one slip with the "offending" boat, but from both slips. As you can imagine, there was no reply. Well, I guess I did get a reply, two days later, a termination letter with no explanation arrived saying that I was terminated from both slips and giving the date that I had to have my boats out by.
After this, my wife was so upset as well, and made several attempts by going to the marina, and Jeff was never there to speak with her. She also made several phone calls, and as you can imagine, he would never come to the phone. We did get a response from one member of the staff there that according to their contract, they did not have to give a reason as to termination, and then they promptly hung up on us. Nice way to treat a 5 year member.
I could probably add a lot more here, and at this point I will say that I have really been discriminated against, and I am going to move forward with legal action. If anyone out there has had the same issues and would like to join in on a class action suit against Jeff Bekkedahl, I would be more than happy to have you. I guess that I can invest my $350 a month and more to a legal firm if that is what it is going to take. I just donÂ’t think that they treat people fairly. As I read through many of the postings here, I believe that it is definitely the "Good Ol' Boy Club" and if you are not in that club, you are not in that marina.
PS- I wonder if Richard McCulloch is aware of his manager's behavior. I would like to believe that a man of his status would never want someone like Jeff Bekkedahl running his marina. Two wrongs donÂ’t make a right. You can make the marina as nice as you want, but if you donÂ’t treat your customers in a respectful manner, I believe that is poor business for anyone. Please email me if you have any stories to share or if you have any interest in joining the suit.

little rowe boat
04-16-2004, 09:18 AM
I never launch there,but I do occassionally get fuel at the marina,not anymore,that place needs to be boycotted.
This thread should be posted on the sandbar,it will get more viewings.
Good luck with the lawsuit,please keep us posted.:mad:

summerlove
04-16-2004, 09:22 AM
amazing.....
I can't imagine the sense of power this guy must get from running a marina! Anyone with half a brain could do it - and do it better than these guys. I hate the feeling that whenever you're in there you feel you have to cow-tow to those guys or else!
Hopefuly, you'll get it worked out...

dimarcobros
04-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Bottom line - !@#$% the marina. Nothing but bad things have been said about them. Go to windsor...nice ramps, friendly people, no restrictions, and all around a better experience.
Just my .02
Sorry to hear about your troubles though.
DMB

summerlove
04-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
Bottom line - !@#$% the marina. Nothing but bad things have been said about them. Go to windsor...nice ramps, friendly people, no restrictions, and all around a better experience.
Just my .02
Sorry to hear about your troubles though.
DMB
but no slips....:mad:

little rowe boat
04-16-2004, 09:39 AM
I know it's at the south end but Havasu springs has slips and they have always been friendly to me and mine.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-16-2004, 09:39 AM
The only problem we have expereinced at the marina was one guy mentioned about the exhaust noise of the 525. Truthfully, he seemed to be just saying to be prepared to possibly get a ticket out on the lake, not a problem in the marina.
There was one other incident but I would not call it a problem. We launched last Friday with no problems, guy did not even question the length of the boat. However, when we went back on Saturday morning the exact same guy asked me how long it was and I said 29 feet, the same length it was yesterday when I launched here. WTF!?!?

little rowe boat
04-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Maybe if everyone on the boards shot the Marina an email, they would start to see the light. lhmarina@citlink.net, it can't hurt.

dimarcobros
04-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
but no slips....:mad:
True, but less of a headache.
DMB

carbonmarine
04-16-2004, 09:48 AM
I want to contribute to you legal fund. I will donate 20.00 and I want every other member to donate 20.00 as well to take this ****er on ..... You will no doubt have others with same or like stories to join your filing. I just dont liek this guy and want to help out in anyway possible......
I suggest you start a fund at a bank, post the acct number asap and inform us how the case is going - w/o deatils of course......
Rick32
:cool:

Essex502
04-16-2004, 09:51 AM
I'd say email the Lake Havasu newspaper as well.

cigarette1
04-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
Maybe if everyone on the boards shot the Marina an email, they would start to see the light. lhmarina@citlink.net, it can't hurt.
DONE :mad:

BoatFloating
04-16-2004, 10:31 AM
I think all the above mentioned things are great but believe they've all been done before except the Class Action suit. The thread was called boycott the Lake Havasu Marina. I think letters were sent to City Concil, Mayor, local paper and Mr. McCulloch and the result as far as I know was nothing. Im no Lawyer I just play one on the net but on what grounds is the class action suit. The contract might of had a line that said termation without cause and then gave a time frame to be out. A Class Action would have to be a incident that applied to all the people in Class Action. I refuse to use that place and only time I would use that place is if I wanted water with my gas. My advice is don't us them.

Ducatista
04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Boycott the marina.....& pray that legal action can be taken against that jerk/facility. He picks on the large preformance boats with a vengence for some reason. Somebody must have really pissed him off or something last year is all I can think. What a shame, its a nice facility. I'm glad I don't have to use them, I would hate giving them any of my money. :(

MudPumper
04-16-2004, 03:28 PM
How about this for an Idea??? We get people to picket the entrance to the marina on land and we picket the entrance to the marina by boat. I think it's called a "Blockade". Even if it was just for an hour or two on a busy weekend. You can bet all of us in our boats with signs, driving back and forth would get some media attention.

TCHB
04-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I have not used the Marina and will continue to not spend any $$$$$$$$$$ for anything at the marina.

BajaMike
04-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Those jerks are so bad....does anyone know who their lease is with? City, State????
Let's find out and complain to the agency who leases to them. They are a monopoly so they must have to provide a certain level of customer service.
:confused:

CrazyHippy
04-17-2004, 09:55 AM
What you need is a pillowcase, and some old doorknobs....:eek:
Might be able to knock some sense into him;)
BJH

locogringo
04-18-2004, 11:22 PM
sounds like this guy is on drugs or something. I have a customer who is sometimes cool sometimes not. A couple times he has called me up ranting and raving, screaming and wishing he could pluck my eyes out and then being all calm and sedate the next time I se him and ask him what's going on with the "perceived" problems.
Next door to him is another customer and I've asked if he's doing drugs and they say most definately but they aren't sure what.
Maybe this guy needs a "citizen watch" call-in to the local law enforcement saying that he was seen selling drugs in his car.
I would almost guarantee that they could find something.

bigkatboat
04-18-2004, 11:36 PM
There is another thread around here, and it has a lot more info. on it! How did this become two different threads?

beer hunter
04-19-2004, 07:02 PM
I would laugh my ass off if the city or whomever, would "terminate" his lease or concession contract without cause :cool:

beer hunter
04-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bigkatboat
There is another thread around here, and it has a lot more info. on it! How did this become two different threads?
Here is the other thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21474&highlight=boycott+lake+havasu+marina) :)

htm632
04-20-2004, 02:46 PM
yep, and I responded there....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44640 (Lake Havasu Marina)