PDA

View Full Version : Deep Thought Day

Her454
03-31-2006, 09:48 AM
So I'm driving to work today and can't find a station that really suits me so I end up on an oldies station. As Im listening to the radio I'm suddenly back in 1978 at the A&W in Gila Bend Arizona. Always a cool stop on the way home (and pretty much the only one back then too) as I couldn't wait to get an ice cold frosty mug of A&W Rootbeer to help me forget that 115 degree heat for few minutes.
Funny how sometimes I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday or what is on the grocery list I forgot at home but a specific song can take you right back to the moment.
I am standing at the jukebox looking for something to play and waiting for my greasy order of cheeseburger and fries while my parents are out in our new Winnebago arguing. Not really something they normally did and we didn't want any part of it. My sister and I made a quick escape as soon as the wheels stopped and my mom started in on my dad. Poor dad. I can't believe as many times as we had been to that old dilapidated A&W that he didn't recall how low that parking structure was. Damn near took the top off the new motorhome and left a half torn off parking structure for mom to remind him about in years to come.
After what seemed like an eternity waiting for our food in a non airconditioned A&W in the middle of August (anything was better than watching dad suffer the wrath) we sat down to eat. Mom and dad joined us and I got up to play another song. Tuning them out with nothing but the old jukebox on my mind I play "Hot Child In the City". A one hit wonder that had just came out and I absolutely loved.
Big mistake. Mom was already in a "mood" and as she listened to the lyrics she suddenly took all attention off of Dad to me. I didnt think there was anything wrong with the song but my mom thought otherwise and that was enough.
Long vacation, middle of the summer heat and short tempers made for a great ride home and awsome memories some 28 years later.
I could almost taste the RootBeer and smell the greasy fries while I listened to that song and smiled this morning.

maxwedge
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Hot Child In The City"
Nick Gilder
Chrysalis 2226
October 1978 • Billboard: #1
'm intrigued by sex," Nick Gilder confessed to Rolling Stone. "It's so much a part of everything we do, and we don't completely understand why we're doing it. It's our prime directive, almost, on this planet. Seek out and multiply, you know. Seek out and multiply, you know. I write stories around it because it intrigues people so much."
Nick Gilder fashioned one of his stories around the wasted life of a street-wise Lolita ("Drinking champagne is her pastime/Making love is her mainline") in "Hot Child in the City." His platinum-selling single debuted on Billboard's Hot 100 at number 88 on June 10, 1978, and took 20 more weeks to reach the top, longer than any other single that had come before.
"'Hot Child in the City' could well have been entitled "Don't Bite the Apple,'" Gilder said in Rolling Stone. "I've seen a lot of young girls, 15 and 16, walking down Hollywood Boulevard with their pimps. Their home environment drove them to distraction so they ran away, only to be trapped by something even worse. It hurts to see that so I tried writing from the perspective of a lecher -- in the guise of an innocent pop song."
Geez, I can't imagine why mom would find this inapropriate, LOL And thanks for getting that stuck in my head. Guess what song I'm downloading right now? :)

Mandelon
03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Papaburger
Mamaburger
Teenburger (Had Bacon) :cool:

Her454
03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I like it when you are sensitive T :) Get back to scorching the earth
A little scorch never hurt anyone. ;)
Hot Child In The City"
Nick Gilder
Chrysalis 2226
October 1978 • Billboard: #1
'm intrigued by sex," Nick Gilder confessed to Rolling Stone. "It's so much a part of everything we do, and we don't completely understand why we're doing it. It's our prime directive, almost, on this planet. Seek out and multiply, you know. Seek out and multiply, you know. I write stories around it because it intrigues people so much."
Nick Gilder fashioned one of his stories around the wasted life of a street-wise Lolita ("Drinking champagne is her pastime/Making love is her mainline") in "Hot Child in the City." His platinum-selling single debuted on Billboard's Hot 100 at number 88 on June 10, 1978, and took 20 more weeks to reach the top, longer than any other single that had come before.
"'Hot Child in the City' could well have been entitled "Don't Bite the Apple,'" Gilder said in Rolling Stone. "I've seen a lot of young girls, 15 and 16, walking down Hollywood Boulevard with their pimps. Their home environment drove them to distraction so they ran away, only to be trapped by something even worse. It hurts to see that so I tried writing from the perspective of a lecher -- in the guise of an innocent pop song."
Geez, I can't imagine why mom would find this inapropriate, LOL And thanks for getting that stuck in my head. Guess what song I'm downloading right now? :)
When ya put it that way I guess............. :rolleyes: :rollside:
Papaburger
Mamaburger
Teenburger (Had Bacon) :cool:
LMAO, cant believe you remember that. I hope my dad took comfort in knowing he wasn't the only poor soul to damage that overhang. :rollside:

Mandelon
03-31-2006, 10:43 AM
I used to ride my bike up to our nearby A&W. I'd kill for a Root Beer Freeze in the summer. They'd put the trays on the mostly rolled down window and we'd eat in the car when it wasn't too hot out.
My grandma's 64 dodge Dart had some spring break on the throttle control on her carberator one time and she nearly blew up the motor trying to leave... LOL She had AAA and they made it good while we had another root beer.
My buddy Andy had root beer and french fries shoot out his nose when I made him laugh too hard during lunch one day. We played asteroids and space invaders there when video games finally were invented...
It was on Rosemead Blvd in Pasadena. Eventually it turned into a Naugles, then a Del Taco. The GULF gas station across the street became a 7/11 and Don's Market down the road became a Trader Joes.
Man---->not liking progress so much today<-----delon. :)

Her454
03-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Thats funny! The things we remember as kids! Last time I went home I came through Gila Bend at night and the A&W is still there but GILA BEND has grown so much I couldnt believe it! I stopped to get gas and the only place to get food was a little pizza place inside the gas station. BEST damn Pizza I ever had. :rollside:

Her454
03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Whats A&W anyhow :rolleyes:
Yea right! :rolleyes:

Her454
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
More rain up North today, huh?
DMAN! 10K posts....YOU FRIGGIN" POST HO :)
TODAY?
HOLY SHIT, I HIT 10K.........uh oh, time to quit. :rollside: :cry:

Her454
03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Well, if you do make sure and PM me your phone number first :rollside::
Just ask Jordy, he says its on the wall of all the bathrooms from here to Havasu. :rolleyes:
I know how to get your post count down.... :idea:
Do you have to smoke a cigarette afterward? ............. :rollside:

Her454
03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Normally I would believe Jordy :rolleyes:
:)
Fatal mistake that many have made. :rollside: :rollside:
If you like :)
I dont smoke. :rollside: :)

Her454
03-31-2006, 02:11 PM
SOMEONE IS MESSIN WITH MY POST COUNT, DAMN MODS..........probably reading all my top secret, dramatized, sexual emails too!

Her454
03-31-2006, 02:15 PM
My bad,
I thought Traci was posting "Deep Throat" :) of the day
Dont hijack my thread Mr Guru, and send me that damn email! :)

Jetboatguru
03-31-2006, 02:15 PM
My bad,
I thought Traci was posting "Deep Throat" :) of the day

topless
03-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Dont hijack my thread Mr Guru, and send me that damn email! :)
Yeah, she's trying to hit 10,000 ...........again.

Her454
03-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, she's trying to hit 10,000 ...........again.
DAMMIT, quit jackin my sentimental effort here! :cry: :cry:

maxwedge
03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Ok I don't mean to interupt your post whorring... but look what you made me do today.... First you practically force me to download "Hot Child in The City". And even though it's a pretty damn weird song that I haven't heard in 26 years, I find myself still digging it...
Then, guess where Sadie and I found ourselves driving for lunch.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2890A_W_001.jpg
It's just not the same anymore without the curbside service and Sadie had to practically jam her whole body through the window just to mooch some free bacon. LOL
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2890A_W.jpg
Some things change, but damn they still make a great root beer float. Hungry yet? :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2890A_W_002.jpg