PDA

View Full Version : Full Gelcoat job in my backyard

adsala
04-16-2004, 10:17 PM
A couple of years ago I took on the challenge of gelcoating a whole boat. It was a huge undertaking and I recommend that you are very dedicated if you want to try it. Gelcoat is really nothing to be scared of but it takes a lot of elbow grease. hehe
I threw together a web page tonight with some pictures www.lynhaven.org/JetBoat If you have a slow line, be patient. There are at most three pictures per page as you click the "next>>" link on the bottom of each page.
This is one of my first post on this site so if you have problems please let me know.
Dean Sala

cruser
04-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Nice job, on the boat and the site. Bet it feels good to finally get to use it after all that work.
cruzer

Kilrtoy
04-17-2004, 12:50 AM
WOW dude, That is awesome:eek:

Mohavekid
04-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Excellent job, looks great. Was this your first gel/paint effort?
What can you tell me about your ski pylon?
Have any close up pics of the pylon mount? I'm looking to put one similar on my boat and need some ideas.
Thanks

Dave C
04-17-2004, 11:06 AM
dang nice job.

adsala
04-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Mojavekid,
This was my first full gelcoat job. I've also helped friends repair thier gelcoat.
I painted my first jet boat with base coat clear coat and it chipped like crazy. I have painted some cars too.
I will try and get some ski pole pictures. The pole is 2" aluminum thick wall pipe. I heated it to bend it a little. The little round thing on top, I turned in my lathe. It rotates as the skier goes back and forth. The pipe goes through the deck only about a foot down. There is a strap that is bent at a slight "V" that bolts on the inside through the transom . The pole bolts to the inside "v" of the strap. So basically all the pull strength comes from the deck. I put a round aluminum plate on both sides of the deck where the pole goes through. I was surprized that it worked so well. There was a much smaller pole originally.
Dean

TCHB
04-18-2004, 05:43 AM
Do you spray the gel coat with a special gun?

Buff
04-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Adsala: dude - that is great work! You ARE ***boating personified! I have so much more respect for you and your boat than I do for some guy that lays down a hundred grand for some slick ride. Congrats! buff

adsala
04-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys, I used a standard Devilibiss sprayer (couple hundred bucks) I bought one on those paint pressure tanks(~$100) from a local tool store. I would mix up one or two quarts of Gelcoat in a plastic bucket and set in down into the paint tank. Put the lid on making sure the pickup tube goes into the mix then turn on the air and go for it. The pressure tank is the secret. It really helps push the thick gelcoat out the gun. Gelcoat is very forgiving though. You can just sand it back down if you mess up. And it shines to glass if you put enough muscle into it.
I did this job three years ago, and I am really glad I used Gelcoat over auto paint. The Gelcoat has really held up well. Only one small chip where I dropped a folding canopy onto the deck. Barely noticeable but it can be easily repaired. Just a small Gelcoat fill.
Dean

AdrenelineOD
04-18-2004, 04:53 PM
I always have a high respect for good craftmanship. The boat my not be worth 100 grand but the job you did should make you feel like it. My respect Brad,:D :cool:

Wet Dream
04-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Very nice!!