PDA

View Full Version : Whats your take on E-Bay?

payloan
04-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Allright need some help. I am planning on monday to gown a get a couple of grand from the bank and ship to some name without a face and to make it even better its all the way in Fl. has anyone had any good or bad luck with E-Bay or know a story or two. By the way being from what I have been told that the boating industry is very shady I must add that yes we are talking about boat parts, and to take it a step further yes we are talking about drives, and as we know it any drive can look good in a picture and I am well aware of the cost to rebuild and repair etc. I must add also that it will be a backup and the price for it all is .... well I wouldnt say an absolute steal to make grow real suspicious but a very very very good deal to say the least. plaese help before you see a post next week that will probably read.............................. "I'm off to Florida see you in about 25"

GlastronGuy
04-17-2004, 02:32 PM
What the person's feedback like?

JetBoatRich
04-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I always like to look up a little history on the person. Like glastron said, feedback. What they have sold or bought and how the transaction went. Your spending a lot of money, so make sure it is all good.

payloan
04-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Hes been a member since 12/03 only has 7 feedbacks and there all from sellers, none from buyers. Sellers put him 100 percent possitive. Any stories of "being had" that anyone knows about I'm sure there are, but how does E-Bay regulate it? Is it just a matter of someone being able to say "bad guy dont buy" as he gets off with the loot. Doesnt sound like a bad career to me. Untill ofcourse you run into someone like ahhh I dont know......me?

cdog
04-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Payloan,
Start by telling us what your getting and what your payin.
Nobody sells anything these days without some kind of string attached. If the deal is too good to be true it probably is. Just remember there's probably 100 times more boaters in Floriada that in Ca. If he cant sell it there you might start to wonder whats up with it.
I think I emailed you on some drive info. I can get you brand new Mercruiser Drives in the OG box never been mounted with warranty.
Plus i'm local if you have any problems.
Give me a call if you have any questions.
Corey
714-281-1395

GlastronGuy
04-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by payloan
Hes been a member since 12/03 only has 7 feedbacks and there all from sellers, none from buyers. Sellers put him 100 percent possitive. Any stories of "being had" that anyone knows about I'm sure there are, but how does E-Bay regulate it? Is it just a matter of someone being able to say "bad guy dont buy" as he gets off with the loot. Doesnt sound like a bad career to me. Untill ofcourse you run into someone like ahhh I dont know......me?
The only way I would do that is through an escrow service.
If you pay by credit card the cc company may get your money back if you are taken.

payloan
04-17-2004, 03:12 PM
wcc whats up. your prices are very good but check this out. Bravo 1:50 year '00 has about 20hrs.(I know better than that) with gimble and plates all hardware nuts bolts etc. including pump, steering rams , senders etc. and a 3blade stainless prop it is still mounted on the boat he will pull it off and ship it "as is" drive still attached to gimble. His story is, blew the motor a year or two ago and the boat has been sitting evre since. He is also selling the boat which from what I can tell is kind of like an older cuddy cabin type nothing fancy at all and is selling the carb and some trim tabs. What do you think? Also is there more boaters in Fl.? whats up with that?

payloan
04-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
The only way I would do that is through an escrow service.
If you pay by credit card the cc company may get your money b
ack if you are taken.
I am a newbie to E-Bay but from what I understand its money order, money gram, and personnel check (which of course delays the process) only. No credit card C.O.D.(wouldn't that be nice) that would be another nice career until of course you.........attempted to say open a ....BOOOOOOOMMM!

Daytona100
04-17-2004, 03:27 PM
I, ve had great luck with e-bay. Built half my boat from deals on e-bay. Only way I could afford it. Just make sure your buying from somebody selling lots of mercruiser parts. When I was shopping for a bravo 1 I saw lots of drives for sale some with great prices but in the pictures they were being propped up by chairs in somebodys livingroom. Good luck getting your money back if somethings wrong. I guess what ime trying to say is unless you can rebuild it yourself ide buy somethings with a warrenty.

cdog
04-17-2004, 03:30 PM
I guess you never know. I've been to Floriada about 5 times and just about the whole state is surrounded by water. It's the sport fishing capitol of the world. If his set up was such a good deal he could sell it in FL faster than you could sell a bucket of KFC in Compton.... Anyone knows you can take any chevy mercruiser engine and do a rebuild for what....mabey $1,500.00. For the time it takes to pull everything apart, box it up and ship it, let alone post in on ebay you have to wonder. Sounds fishy.
Just becareful theres a lot of backwoods good o'l boys in Fl.
Why are you looking to do? Are you building a new boat or upgrading your drive? I've got all my stuff from my supplier to go on my new 29 ft. Shockwave. Your welcome to check it out.
In buying my new boat I Incorporated and have a resale licence to buy marine parts and so on. I figure if I can make some side money and pass on some savings to my fellow ***boaters... Why not.......:cool:

payloan
04-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wcc
I guess you never know. I've been to Floriada about 5 times and just about the whole state is surrounded by water. It's the sport fishing capitol of the world. mercruiser engine and do a rebuild for what....mabey $1,500.00. For the time it takes to pull everything apart, box it up and ship it, let alone post in on ebay you have to wonder. Sounds fishy.
Just becareful theres a lot of backwoods good o'l boys in Fl.
Why are you looking to do? Are you building a new boat or upgrading your drive? I've got all my stuff from my supplier to go on my new 29 ft. Shockwave. Your welcome to check it out.
In buying my new boat I Incorporated and have a resale licence to buy marine parts and so on. I figure if I can make some side money and pass on some savings to my fellow ***boaters... Why not.......:cool:

Fiat48
04-17-2004, 03:35 PM
With the small feedback the guy has..and since he's always a buyer and not a seller...treat it like you would Las Vegas. Only lay out what you can afford to lose.
But if you were the winning bidder..you are obligated.
I did a search on Ebay. Lots of drives available for sale and located right in California. That way, you could inspect before buying.

DickDanger
04-17-2004, 03:37 PM
My personal opinion is that I wouldnt be shipping a couple grand to anyone that hasnt been on there for at least a year, and has at least 15 or more positive feedbacks. I have been on there for over 5 years, and have never been ripped off (knock on wood) but there ARE some shady characters on there. -DD Out

mach1alaska
04-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I have bought a bunch of airplane parts on ebay and have not had any problems

payloan
04-17-2004, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE][i] If his set up was such a good deal he could sell it in FL faster than you could sell a bucket of KFC in Compton.... a
Thats some funny shit. SHHHHHH but I am currently running an alpha on the back of a 454 can you say ouch! To be honest with you the drive runs flawlessly but I want to put more horsees on and I know I'm allready "MAXED OUT" Ive kind of gotten board with babying the throttle and have been pushing it a little more, therefor I want to allready have something to throw on when the time calls. Seems like I have been drinkin a little more boooos and getting alot more braver, if you know what I mean. Truth is I am a firm beleiver in "if it aint broke don't fix it" motto but well... you know got to try and keep up with the jones's, or at least float in the same water as them. Speaking of Compton.. Yaaaa aaallll hear me!

payloan
04-17-2004, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fiat48
With the small feedback the guy has..and since he's always a buyer and not a seller...treat it like you would Las Vegas. Only lay out what you can afford to lose.
But if you were the winning bidder..you are obligated.
I did a search on Ebay. Lots of drives available for sale and located right in California. That way, you could inspect before buying. [/QUOTE
fiat48 when you search do you just put in Bravo or do you enter something more detailed to get better results. Seems like I have not seen but 1 guy from Cali with a bravo been typing just that Bravo any tips?

Fiat48
04-17-2004, 04:01 PM
I did just bravo drive and came up with quite a few.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=bravo+drive

cdog
04-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Before I met my mercruiser supplier I bought a trim pump from someone on ebay. Was supposed to be 100% new! It came and was in good condition but was not the same one as the one in the picture. You could tell because a older one's tank turns yellowish. I called him. He said it was new. He said I could return it but have to pay shiping. At that point I said F it. Waiting to see how well it works. But I still buy on ebay quite often. Today I bought a lifting eye for my engine.

cdog
04-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Payloan,
How much HP are you planning on making? Sounds like you could get by on a X drive. I may know someone who could sell you a used one and he lives in OC. PM me or call me. Might be able to work out something. This guy wants to buy one of my XR's or hop up his X. You may need to buy a new bravo gimble.

payloan
04-17-2004, 05:48 PM
whats the difference? not gonna go too crazy, not on this engine at least, I'm thinkin probably an intake , exhaust , etc. but my big thing is that I want to dress it up, dip all the pulleys, brackets, candy the block, and run all braided lines. Doin it more for the look but anything that I will be replacing might as well go on the higher performance end. So I am figuring when I pull the engine out I might as well do the drive. Right? I wil have to give you a call when I can talk without any interruptions. The wife doesn't pay much attention when I'm on the computer but the second I pick up the phone she's all ears and when I start talkin $$$$ she's all over my shit. you know what I mean? What is the difference with the XR and what kind of price are we talkin? she cant hear us so go ahead and shoot me prices.

cdog
04-17-2004, 06:05 PM
A X drive should be around 3 grand I think. It depends what this guy wants for it. I'll have to talk with him first. The X should be plenty for what you are doing. Rated at 450 HP. Like I said he wants to get one of my XR'S. They are rated at 600 hp.

payloan
04-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Well he sent me some pictures and all I can say is that at least he sent me some honest pictures. The damn thing looks like its been sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic for the past 2 years instead of hi driveway. Now comes the hard part how in the hell do I retract a bid on E-Bay?HHMMMMMMMMMM.

Blown Sleek
04-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I bought a sssssssssssstttttooolllennnnn? Banshee from a guy with great feedback!!!! CHP and police NNNOOOO help!!!!! I own it it is not registerable and he is in Michigan!!! Good luck!!:mad:

GlastronGuy
04-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Well he sent me some pictures and all I can say is that at least he sent me some honest pictures. The damn thing looks like its been sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic for the past 2 years instead of hi driveway. Now comes the hard part how in the hell do I retract a bid on E-Bay?HHMMMMMMMMMM.
You can't in this case. You will be reported as a non paying bidder and probably get negative feedback.
Retract Bid (http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-retract.html)
Non Paying Bidder (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/non-payment.html)

bordsmnj
04-17-2004, 09:29 PM
if all his feed bakcs where from him buying not selling then don't buy it period. that is always a deciding factor for me when shoppin' on ebay. even if i hafta spend a little more. that's with smaller ticket items too. never mind a couple g's to some mystery guy with a too good to be true deal.

Outnumbered
04-17-2004, 10:47 PM
I would not even consider it with less than 100 feedback, most from buyers of his stuff.
Drives from Florida will be 99.9% likely to have been run in salt water.
Back out, don't send the money.
OL

RiverPirate
04-17-2004, 10:55 PM
I would find a drive somewhere in Cali.

FRENCHIE
04-18-2004, 08:16 AM
greeat, been using ebay now for 2 years! feedback is essential, great deals, be smart, dont bid item up and up and up! wtch it until the end then bid if it works for you!:D

payloan
04-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
I would not even consider it with less than 100 feedback, most from buyers of his stuff.
Drives from Florida will be 99.9% likely to have been run in salt water.
Back out, don't send the money.
OL
THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE Old Lavey I went ahead and retracted and E-Bay accepted it now the guy modified his bid and a put a message out directed right at me. Like I told him I understand his frustration but c'mon you gotta show some really good pictures before you let people start getting all excited . Boy am I glad I didn't send off 2000.00 for a crate of MORTON
Thanks Guys !

Cas
04-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Did the auction end with you being the high bidder? If so and you're backing out, you will get some emails from ebay saying you need to pay up. If you have legitimate reasons, like the additional pictures, it can go away without a hitch. If ebay finds you're at fault, you can possibly be barred from using ebay.

cdog
04-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I've backed out of a couple of deals that I one and have had no problems. Basicly the product discription was not as it really was. Nice and simple.

payloan
04-18-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah E-Bay agreed with my reason. I think thats why this guy is so pissed off. I've still got my possitive feedback record. No harm no foul.

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 08:00 PM
On an item like that I would pay a marine surveyor a bill and have it checked out.