PDA

View Full Version : 4/17 Nasty Weather Day @Havasu

shueman
04-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Since I had to work all week-end, thought I'd check on the lucky ones at the lake:
Started out a little windy:

shueman
04-17-2004, 05:29 PM
sure got nasty in the pm....

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-17-2004, 05:31 PM
that is nasty..
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=659686

Homer51
04-18-2004, 07:09 AM
I will take nasty any time.

FRENCHIE
04-18-2004, 08:20 AM
glad im home still!

SBullet
04-18-2004, 08:53 AM
I was in town house hunting!!! And I really did not feel that bad not being out in the lake due the crappy weather!:cool:

Risky Business
04-18-2004, 08:53 AM
I'll take Nasty vs. Home anytime.

SoCalOffshore
04-18-2004, 07:39 PM
The wind was blowing pretty good on Friday afternoon, but was great on the water. Saturday afternoon was crazy. Wind was blowing over 40 mph. I did not launch, as I has some things to do, but drive to Windsor and it looked like complete insanity. There was a ton of bass boats and 3 to 4 footers rolling in. Sunday, virtually no wind and awesome.

Three Days Only
04-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Anyone got a count on how many boats got trashed at Havi on Saturday. We saw 2 bobin bow up, and three or four up on the rocks around windsor getting pounded by the waves. It was by far the worst I have ever seen the lake. I havent even seen wind waves that big out in the ocean in a few months, pretty sick.
Jeff

DUNDUN
04-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a scary day at havazoo. anyone know how it was in parker?

slink
04-18-2004, 09:12 PM
My neighbor rolled home this afternoon from Havasu and said that six boats went under on Saturday.He said it was some of the worst water he has seen up there in years. Anyone heard the same ?

bohica
04-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Very crazy day on the water. I headed back to the lake from the sandbar around 3:30 on Saturday. River was not to bad, but once you hit the mouth of the river and got to the lake, all hell was breakin loose. Saw many boats going down or already down. Windsor launch ramp was a zoo with around 4 boats down and many other taking a pounding on the shoreline.
I just hammered the throttle and cruised to the channel at around 40mph. Got soaked from all the wind spray, but the bigger boat really paid it's divendends this weekend.:D

Kachina26
04-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Sounds like I made it off just in time. My son was having a hard time dropping me off at the dock, it was his first time driving this big boat in the wind. To top it off a good size wave dropped him down on a rock and took a small piece of my skag.:( But at least I stayed afloat.

locogringo
04-18-2004, 11:10 PM
we decided to brave it and got on the water at noon time. Got off when it looked like it was going to start raining around 4:30-5 and was choppy as hell going back to Windsor. Had these guys in a little 18 Chaparral or something who had beached their boat and they were trying to wave anyone down. I would have helped but would have beached my boat also. Ended jp hitting some rocks anyway and messing up the prop completely. Gotta get a new one now and I had it dialed in perfectly. Dammit!:rolleyes:

OutCole'd
04-19-2004, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by bohica
Very crazy day on the water. I headed back to the lake from the sandbar around 3:30 on Saturday. River was not to bad, but once you hit the mouth of the river and got to the lake, all hell was breakin loose. Saw many boats going down or already down. Windsor launch ramp was a zoo with around 4 boats down and many other taking a pounding on the shoreline.
I just hammered the throttle and cruised to the channel at around 40mph. Got soaked from all the wind spray, but the bigger boat really paid it's divendends this weekend.:D
I was probaly cruising right there with you. Came down from Sandbar at the same time. I got soaked and rode in the roughest water I had ever been in. My buddy's thought it was fun, not me.

cola
04-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Yes, it was wet. A new Magic pasted @ about 50mph at the top of the lake coming around the reeds. I bet he shit when he hit the first 4'er. I could see the whole top of the boat. I though it was blowing over. My wife took cover below & I was thinking it would have been a good time for her to get some seat time, and I could go below. That didn't happen. We hung in the channel till 6 or so. Still beats work. :)
Late, Mike&Kim

Havasu_Dreamin
04-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Hey Mike, how'd the Alandra handled the slop and chop? We had some nasty water two weekend ago in Havasu, even had white-caps in in Steamboat :( , and I was impressed with the way the boat handled the lake conditions.

cola
04-19-2004, 08:17 AM
We lived, nothing was doing good in the worst part of the lake. There were 4' holes every 10' to 15' apart. So if you wanted to fly it your prop was out of the water more then in. I just stuck the bow up a little and ran on in. With the wind was a lot better, but it was blowing from the south/west & we were up river. Glad I wasn't in the Sterling. We'll be back to do it again on Fri. Already got my 10 launches on the Windsor pass, it's all free from here on.
Late, Mike&Kim :cool:

dimarcobros
04-19-2004, 09:00 AM
We were at Topac having lunch when we noticed that the weather was getting bad. We got into our boats and made a run for it. We passed the Sandbar and there were maybe 3 boats still rockin but the rest had gone home. We were almost to the mouth of the lake when my buddy in his Hallet 240 blew his motor, not a good situation. It was so windy I didn't want to tow anyone but I was not going ot leave him stranded. I started towing him but once we came around the last turn and realized how bad the lake was we took cover on the last sandbar and waited it out for a bit. Once there was a ease in the storm we made a run for it. I took on lots of water at first but once I was past all the shallow water I was able to roll with the waves instead of taking them head on and it was not that bad, cold as hell but not that bad. we dropped him off at windsor and made a run for the channel and safely to our beach. No one was dry but we all were smilling when it was over. Sunday was perfect, figures.
DMB

summerlove
04-19-2004, 09:06 AM
One of the roughest days ever on the water! No way were we going to try and retrieve at windsor - we left the channel as the wind really started to blow and went to windsor, only to see the chaos and returned to the channel where we tied up and waited for it to end! Had to hitch a ride to windsor to get the truck/trailer and pulled out at the marina. Saw three boats go down while at Windsor.

riverracerx
04-19-2004, 09:07 AM
I just got my hair buzzed and I was in my bros 29' Scarab so no one _recognized me. _ _Saw OG Shocker in the Dana boat "Never Forget". Saw Randy and his family in the 38' Hustler "Pet This". Saw In2Deep squeeze his boat in between 2 others with 50 mph winds pushing him all over! _ _Saw Issac and his beautiful wife. (Actually spotted her WAY before him! ) Hung with Todd and his 35' Nordic at the Narcotical Inn till the storm rolled in. _ Then got the boat back in the slip. We stayed off the water in the afternoon. It was kickin' pretty hard!!

hd&boatrider
04-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Sounds like it was pretty bad out there :eek!:
What was the biggest boat that ended up going under?

Ducatista
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Woke up Saturday morning at our site at the Islander & decided it was going to be a blowout day, so I left the boat cover on. Ended up helping some friends put up their awnings on Satruday & Sunday, but still had a good time. Saw OGShockers Dana from Barley Brothers while at lunch, as the TV's played Iraqi war news in the background.
One of the snow-bearders told us Sunday morning that 12 boats had sunk on Saturday and 3 people were missing. I have not been able to confirm that, but it would not surprise me. Saturday was "nasty". I was over at the bluff's by site six around 5pm walking my dogs of war, and it was nuts. Watched a couple runabouts just get hammered as they headed towards Windsor. Made me feel less sad that I didn't hit the water that day. Sunday was beautiful, but helped same friends finish their awning installations, and packed up the dogs, rats and Mariann and headed home. Looking forward to this Friday night, as we head back to Havasu for a nine day vacation, our first long vacation of the year.
:) :)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Sounds like I made it off just in time. My son was having a hard time dropping me off at the dock, it was his first time driving this big boat in the wind. To top it off a good size wave dropped him down on a rock and took a small piece of my skag.:( But at least I stayed afloat.
K26 sorry i missed you this weekend, it was pretty windy. I hooked up with Havasuluvr and i met the Dbros at the sandbar Saturday.

dimarcobros
04-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Shake-yo-azz, you got one hell of a nice ride. It was nice meeting you. On the way back from lunch we looked but you and David had already left. Where did you guys run off to?
DMB

dimarcobros
04-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Here is a picture of us waiting out the worse part of the storm.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/752Pt8rdt6k-med.jpg
DMB

Up 4 River
04-19-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't have to tell you all how windy it was because you can read above. I was with Dimarco Bros when our buddies 240 blew the motor and the tow back was an experience. Towing back at 5 mph in that water was not fun. We were taking water over the bow the entire time. He had the bilge running the whole time, and at one point I looked down at my feet stading near the back seat and water was at about the middle ov my calf. on my legs. We didn't have any buckets on the boat so I took coozies and started just shuvling water out as fast as I could. At leat coozies came in handy for more that one reason that day. My sister crawled into the storage compartment on Dimarco Bros boat and she came out of there soaking wet as well. It was an experience and the worst I've seen out at Havasu in my days of boating out there.
It was good meeting a lot of you from the boards! Charley, Shake Yo Azz and many more I'm probably forgetting.

Kachina26
04-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
K26 sorry i missed you this weekend, it was pretty windy. I hooked up with Havasuluvr and i met the Dbros at the sandbar Saturday.
Did you make it up to topock? I thought I saw your boat when I was driving by to my Uncles house.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Did you make it up to topock? I thought I saw your boat when I was driving by to my Uncles house.
Yeah i went up to the sand bar and hung out for awhile.

surfer2001
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
We stayed on the river (Parker Strip) all day Saturday; I knew the lake was going to be a mess. In front of Roadrunner the wind was creating 3 foot chops, but the rest of the Strip was ok considering the conditions. Sorry to hear about all the drama at Windsor. Hope everybody had paid their insurance premiums. THAT’S BOATING