PDA

View Full Version : Bluebook or value of boat

you'll learn
04-17-2004, 08:52 PM
I recently had a bad experience due to an accident at my home.What I am asking you people and friends is to help me to find the value of my boat and trailer.I have a 77'Sleekcraft tunnel haul and a road runner trailer.The engine was out and pump as well and I was in the process of replacing floor board and transom wood.On saturday morning at 9:30am April3rd my truck and boat was wipe'd out by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel and ended up in my garage after the truck and boat were hit.The insurence company is investgating the policy because of the renewal statement.What I need at the moment is advise and blue book value of boat.I have sent the boat to a marine survaore for the structural damage and has told me that it's a wipe out but would cost me 10,000 dollars to repair.As a person that has done minor work on hull's I don't see that,but due to new paint etc,I now see why.Please any info that I can get will be very helpful to me at this time.Thank you.:mad:

TheEduKATor
04-17-2004, 09:13 PM
you'll learn,
I don't know if you've tried this already but here's a Link to NADA the appraisal guide for used boats. I entered the year of your boat and manufacturer, but I didn't know the model of your boat.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/ValueModel.asp?UserID=52081A17901B6&DID=38094&Type=MR&GCode=MR&wSec=4&wPg=1105&Com=1429&Year=1977

you'll learn
04-17-2004, 09:31 PM
The boat is a 1977 sleekcraft tunnel.

TheEduKATor
04-17-2004, 09:36 PM
I entered 1977 sleekcraft and this is what it came up with
SLEEKCRAFT BOATS
Select a model and length
AMBASSADOR - 24'
EXECUTIVE - 23'
R EXECUTIVE - 21'
SC MONTEREY - 17'
SC MONTEREY - 17'
SC REBEL - 18'
SC SPORTSTER - 18'
SC STREAKER - 20'
SC STREAKER - 20'

HCS
04-17-2004, 09:50 PM
I had my boat insured for the complete replacemant value of
the boat and trailer.
I set my own value on my equipment so it would be covered.
I know that doesn't help you any. But it's something to consider
in the future.
My policy runs less than $400.00 a year.

you'll learn
04-17-2004, 10:11 PM
If it helps it is a 21 footer and it looks like a trihaul/tunnel.Lakes only had looked at boat and took pics of boat.He would know more than I.After looking at post,it looks like a R executive because of the 21 footer.Again I don't know.It's a high performance boat low profile tunnel.Like I said if I did say it,it's a collecter and classic,so I am told and they were prototype,not many made,it was one of the first try out tunnels.

TheEduKATor
04-17-2004, 10:23 PM
you'll learn,
Click on this link http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Va...=1429&Year=1977 (http://) and click on R excutive then select any extras you have on the boat, bimini top, radio, etc. See what kind of numbers if gives you. I hope it helps.

Outnumbered
04-17-2004, 10:39 PM
I don't think that NADA site is in tune with reality. Its more like a wholesale/trade-in type of value. I think insurance companies suck and will screw you given the opportunity.
OL

Outnumbered
04-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
I had my boat insured for the complete replacemant value of
the boat and trailer.
I set my own value on my equipment so it would be covered.
I know that doesn't help you any. But it's something to consider
in the future.
My policy runs less than $400.00 a year.
I'm going to be doing that this year. Who did you go with?
OL

you'll learn
04-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Get insurence

TCHB
04-18-2004, 05:34 AM
The values of boats are very low when you look them up. Most boats listed look to be off by 30% to 50%.

Outnumbered
04-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by you'll learn
Get insurence
I've got insurance. I just have an actual cash value policy like most people. I am sure I would get screwed in a total loss situation. I need to get an agreed value policy to be sure that I will get back what I have in this boat and trailer.
OL

BILLY.B
04-19-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by you'll learn
I recently had a bad experience due to an accident at my home.What I am asking you people and friends is to help me to find the value of my boat and trailer.I have a 77'Sleekcraft tunnel haul and a road runner trailer.The engine was out and pump as well and I was in the process of replacing floor board and transom wood.On saturday morning at 9:30am April3rd my truck and boat was wipe'd out by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel and ended up in my garage after the truck and boat were hit.The insurence company is investgating the policy because of the renewal statement.What I need at the moment is advise and blue book value of boat.I have sent the boat to a marine survaore for the structural damage and has told me that it's a wipe out but would cost me 10,000 dollars to repair.As a person that has done minor work on hull's I don't see that,but due to new paint etc,I now see why.Please any info that I can get will be very helpful to me at this time.Thank you.:mad: Hey you'll learn, call 1-800 966-nada, ext 242. Damon Bennett is the one you want to talk to about the value of your boat. Sometimes those guides can be alittle tricky to figure out. Tell him I told you to call him.

Drunk tank
04-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Well this is wierd.. went to see how much mine was worth but cant find anything. 1973 18' Eliminator... but it seems like eliminator only goes back to 81. This makes me wonder what the hell it really is. Remember a few people saying they had never seen eliminator make a hull like that. Was there another company that named Eliminator before 1981? I'd really like to know what my whoopty really is :confused:

Outnumbered
04-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Drunk tank
Well this is wierd.. went to see how much mine was worth but cant find anything. 1973 18' Eliminator... but it seems like eliminator only goes back to 81. This makes me wonder what the hell it really is. Remember a few people saying they had never seen eliminator make a hull like that. Was there another company that named Eliminator before 1981? I'd really like to know what my whoopty really is :confused:
Call Eliminator in Mira Loma, CA. (info 909-555-1212). Ask for Bob Leach. I'm sure you could find out.
OL

Keith E. Sayre
04-19-2004, 10:22 PM
One thing to keep in mind about the NADA guidebook for boats.
It is a depreciation guide that is rarely in touch with reality. In
other words, the numbers that they generated are merely a
percentage of what they think the boat sold for new. It has
no data from actual market conditions or recent sales like the
car and truck books do. A good thing to try is get a stack of
3 to 6 month old Boat trader magazines out and call the people
who advertised similar boats and call them. Chances are since
the books you'll be using are several months old, they probably
sold them and then they can tell you what they actually got for
them. Make a list.
Then, next time you insure an older boat, buy a "stated value"
or "agreed value" policy. In the event of a loss, they pay up the
the value of the policy without any depreciation. if it's stolen or
a total loss, you get the value of the policy. No problems.
Good Luck.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

VIKING
04-20-2004, 04:36 AM
My boat was stolen once and trashed. I took a real hit on it. Now my insurance is a "stated value" For a classic, going through Boat Trader and making calls is a great Idea. You will have to do your homework if you plan on getting anywhere close to the value.
GOOD LUCK:wink:

moneysucker
04-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Replacement value holds a special place in my heart from when my truck was stolen. I was told that the suspension I had installed would actually hurt the resale and the rims and tires would be replaced with rims and tires, even if they would be stock ones. I was schooled on that term that day. Replacement value is a 77ish boat on a trailer with a motor and pump. Insurance co's will screw you. Fight for more money regardless of what you are offered. I would have insurance but the HP and OT headers and open motor and tunnel hull make it un insurable. If I could I would. I can only hope someone hits it or I sink it. As long as I have the components, The hull is nothing. I will get annother one. Good luck. The other insurance co should be paying out the butt. You will be needing a rental boat for the time that you are trying to find a new one or waiting for the repair. Don't setle for a deal you don't want. Or threaten to make them pay to repair it to it's original condition. Also, you may be able to get it back at salvage value and sell off all the parts or use them in the new boat.