PDA

View Full Version : SURGE

JET-SUNS
06-18-2002, 07:47 PM
THIS PLACE IS GREAT LOTS OF INFO... HI-PER 396 OVER 60 666/320 ALL ROLLER, INT. BALANCED, 8/71, INLINE 750'S HD, 19FT JET UNDERDRIVEN 8%, TIMMING 12 INITAL 30 TOTAL AT 2000 RPMS. JUST FIRED LAST WEEKEND RUNS GREAT BREAKING MOTOR IN AND CHECKING PLUGS. 1ST TIME WITH BLOWER MOTOR MY QUESTION: EVER BLOWER MOTOR THAT I HAVE BEEN AROUND (NOT MANY OUT HERE) THEY SURGE AT AN IDLE, WELL THAT IS EXCEPT FOR MINE. IS THIS BECAUSE ITS ALL ROLLER MOTOR (ROCKER ARMS-LIFTERS-CAM) OR BECAUSE ITS UNDERDRIVEN? NOT THAT I THINK IT NEEDS TO, BUT IT DOES SOUND GREAT THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT................

06-18-2002, 09:32 PM
If they are tuned right there should be no surge or idle hunt.

Craig
06-19-2002, 03:55 AM
A lot of people, myself included like the surge for two reasons. The sound and it makes it easier on the drive if you put it in gear on the dowmn side of the surge. Backing the idle mixture screws out a very little bit makes it surge more.
Craig

StealBlueZ
06-22-2002, 04:33 PM
Mine is similar to yours, and you're right, it does sound great. Plus, Just like Craig said, it's easier on the gears if you have a gearbox. Backing the idle screws out should bring the surge back, but a motor with carbs ain't gonna surge like one with injectors and a blower. Have fun...!
Steal
Ballanced 509
6-71
637/230/114
CP 8.5/1's
2 Bigs 1050's
Mallory Sprint Mag

bkegan
07-26-2002, 01:29 PM
The only way I can get mine to stop surging is to increase the idle speed or put a load on the engine.
I think it sounds cool!

Infomaniac
07-26-2002, 02:44 PM
Does it sound like this ?
Surge (http://members.cox.net/shotglass/idle.wav)
TURN IT UP !!!!!
[ July 26, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

burbanite
07-26-2002, 02:54 PM
JET-SUNS
(NOT MANY OUT HERE)]Where is out here? I'm interested in seeing where people are from.

acatitude
07-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Info, thats the greatest sound there is, just idling a taste fast, but thats what they should sound like.

BlownCole
07-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Infomaniac:
Does it sound like this ?
Surge (http://members.cox.net/shotglass/idle.wav)
TURN IT UP !!!!!I am gonna leave that on the desktop sounds cool

BlownCole
07-26-2002, 06:07 PM
100 posts yippee

Infomaniac
07-26-2002, 07:00 PM
blowncarrera:
Info, thats the greatest sound there is, just idling a taste fast, but thats what they should sound like.It needs to idle that fast. It is a lake boat. 37 gears and 16 pitch prop. Loaded pretty hard when idling around in gear. Started recording the instant it fired. It starts and idles without any problems at that speed.

Mn Howard Cat
07-31-2002, 07:47 AM
Imfomaniac That sound cool how much power are you making? wink

Infomaniac
07-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Mn Howard Cat:
Imfomaniac That sound cool how much power are you making? wink 1,000 HP on a small tune up.

Kurtis500
08-03-2002, 11:40 AM
Having a more efficient blower (stripped) loads mine up a lot at idle. I turn the idle up to get the surge out.

Heatseeker
08-06-2002, 08:16 AM
Help!!!I just spent the better part of a day re-jetting my carbs, and now I can't get a decent idle.
Background: Basically stock 454 w/BDS 8-71, low boost(7 lbs.) and a pair of 850 center squirts w/PV's blocked out. The engine has been running pretty good, but a little lean and poppy on hard acceleration, so I went from 76's to 80's on all 8 mains. The idle was pretty stable, with little "hunt" before. Now I can't get it to idle down less than 1200-1400 rpm with out the big "hunt" going on. I've got it so fat at idle now, it burns your eyes. Before, it seemed a leaner idle would give more stable rpm, but if I try to lean it now, it wants to run faster.
What gives? What am I doing wrong(I know, I know, besides blowing a stock 454. This engine is my instructional aide for when the bad boy comes out of the shop!)?

Hotcrusader76
08-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Heatseeker:
Help!!!I just spent the better part of a day re-jetting my carbs, and now I can't get a decent idle.
Background: Basically stock 454 w/BDS 8-71, low boost(7 lbs.) and a pair of 850 center squirts w/PV's blocked out. The engine has been running pretty good, but a little lean and poppy on hard acceleration, so I went from 76's to 80's on all 8 mains. The idle was pretty stable, with little "hunt" before. Now I can't get it to idle down less than 1200-1400 rpm with out the big "hunt" going on. I've got it so fat at idle now, it burns your eyes. Before, it seemed a leaner idle would give more stable rpm, but if I try to lean it now, it wants to run faster.
What gives? What am I doing wrong(I know, I know, besides blowing a stock 454. This engine is my instructional aide for when the bad boy comes out of the shop!)?Sounds like your butterflys are opened way to much (idle speed screw). Back it down until she sputters then fatten up the idle mixture screw (garden hose valve for the idle mix). When she speeds up again, turn the idle speed down again, then fatten her up again with more idle mixture (that little screw again.)
Remember only turn the screws around 180' at a time on both carbs...being the very same.
Overall your condition sounds right, its just that you need to de-tune that motors idle fuel. The transition slot is to exposed inside the baseplate giving more fuel to the vacuum your motor is breatheing....Good Luck!
Call me if you need to
-Ty
(877) TPC-CARB

Snowboat
08-06-2002, 02:43 PM
[ August 07, 2002, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Snowboat ]

Snowboat
08-06-2002, 04:44 PM
What did you mean by "garden hose valve for the idle mix"?

Hotcrusader76
08-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Snowboat:
What did you mean by "garden hose valve for the idle mix"?My analogy is this...
You mix the Jim Beam and fruit punch (air and fuel) in the metering block...then you control how much of the mix you drink with the idle screws on the sides (idle mixture adjustment)....that's the best way to explain it..
LOL... -Ty

HM
08-06-2002, 09:45 PM
the title of this thread makes me think of Beverly Hills Cop - Serg "Would you like a tweest of leemon?"
:D :D

Heatseeker
08-11-2002, 12:17 AM
I finally got my idle back. The whole problem was my own fault. While adjusting the accelerator pumps, I pumped a ton of raw fuel down her. Then when I tried to start it, the plugs all fouled out.
I would like to thank Hotcrusader76(Ty at TPC). All together he spent nearly an hour explaining the theory of operation of a Holley carb. He helped to clear up some of the mysteries for me. He also put my mind at rest about my carbs in this application. Thanks Ty!

Hotcrusader76
08-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Heatseeker:
I finally got my idle back. The whole problem was my own fault. While adjusting the accelerator pumps, I pumped a ton of raw fuel down her. Then when I tried to start it, the plugs all fouled out.
I would like to thank Hotcrusader76(Ty at TPC). All together he spent nearly an hour explaining the theory of operation of a Holley carb. He helped to clear up some of the mysteries for me. He also put my mind at rest about my carbs in this application. Thanks Ty!Glad to here this John! Its funny how the simple things in life always puzzle us. If you need anymore help or advice, feel free to pick up the phone.
-Ty