PDA

View Full Version : aluminum heads?

Riverat84
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
what would the reasons be behind needing performance heads? aluminum or iron?
what kinds of power gains and reliability could i get w/ them?
thanx,
Reid

BrendellaJet
03-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Aluminum heads typically offer ability to run slightly more compression. Reliability should be the same. One thing I like about them is the reduced weight.

Riverat84
03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
YEAH! THATS ANOTHER REASON I WANT THEM.....reduced weight

beerjet
03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
What about better flow.

Riverat84
03-31-2006, 12:01 PM
THAT ALSO....where would i get some for my 460? thanx guys

beerjet
03-31-2006, 03:02 PM
The guys over at speed-o-motive know there chit.

Ken F
03-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Often you can find used ones at www.racingjunk.com
Ken F

Nucking futs
03-31-2006, 06:38 PM
What about better flow.
Im not going to start a pissing match here, but Iron heads will flow the same as Aluminum heads. With a lower compression engine Iron heads may work better due to heat retention. Just my opinion and I don't know much.

Riverat84
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Im not going to start a pissing match here, but Iron heads will flow the same as Aluminum heads. With a lower compression engine Iron heads may work better due to heat retention. Just my opinion and I don't know much.
really? i didnt know that iron has better retention than aluminum...but about the weight saving...now that's a good reason also. right on. thanx guys.

atxwrangler
03-31-2006, 07:16 PM
look around the 460ford.com forums ,i just bought a 3 yr old set of stage 2 ported blue thunders with chevy exhaust for $1800. i'm proud ,can't wait till they arrive! also check ebay, some guy was selling sets of aluminum cj heads bare for 750 a pair,great price!

502 JET
03-31-2006, 07:21 PM
I have always heard that if both heads were exactly the same that the iron would out perform the aluminum.I dont know why but would the little extra power be worth the extra pounds or even be enough to power to compensate for the extra weight?

Gearhead
03-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Aluminum heads do dissipate heat. Generally speaking iron versus aluminum you can run about a point more compression without detonation on the aluminum. On the same lines the heat change during the combustion cycle is power. Generally though.... as per nuts... using a iron head and an aluminum head of the same flow, port size and combustion chamber size... the iron head will produce more power. The aluminum head would be more favorable in situtions where you find better flow characteristics for the engine combination or where weight is critical.
Presently there are more choices in port sizes, (volume, cross sectional, etc) in the aluminum lines. Another plus for aluminum is repairability. A cracked aluminum head is easier to fix than a cracked iron head. Also easier and more cost efficient to port. You have to weigh out the needs for your overall engine/boat combination.
I hope this helps a little.

beerjet
03-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Nuckin futs , I dont really know chit either but that's what has always been force fed to me. It seems to me that the aluminum cylinder heads are always the being tested as well ,and the build articles always seem to go on and on about how freakin great the aluminum heads are so great.
I would absolutly love it if someone would set me straight on this . I am also goin to be lookin for a set of heads . I am not one of those guys who is more concerned about what I got, because I cant afford it . If I can get the same performance out of iron , then I'm goin iron . Bling is nice but BANG is better.
-beerjet-

Ken F
03-31-2006, 09:19 PM
FUTS, are you talking Fords here? Ford has typically had a problem with exaust port flow throughout the years. that has always been the holdback with the iron heads. Yes, you can get the irons to flow about the same as a set of aluminum heads, but at about the same price as a set of Aluminum heads. In a boat, where temps never reach optimum operating range anyway, I would much prefer the 1pt. increase in compression, and better flow for the same cost.
Riverat84, if you are thinking of the heads with Chevy Ex.ports & are going to run OT's you will be okay, but if you are running TT's watchout. #1 are on opposite banks on chev & Ford so your Chevy headers are going to fit funny!
One side will be way longer than the other.
Ken F

Riverat84
04-01-2006, 09:28 AM
FUTS, are you talking Fords here? Ford has typically had a problem with exaust port flow throughout the years. that has always been the holdback with the iron heads. Yes, you can get the irons to flow about the same as a set of aluminum heads, but at about the same price as a set of Aluminum heads. In a boat, where temps never reach optimum operating range anyway, I would much prefer the 1pt. increase in compression, and better flow for the same cost.
Riverat84, if you are thinking of the heads with Chevy Ex.ports & are going to run OT's you will be okay, but if you are running TT's watchout. #1 are on opposite banks on chev & Ford so your Chevy headers are going to fit funny!
One side will be way longer than the other.
Ken F
interesting.....can't i buy some ford heads w/ chevy exhaust ports? im looking for a pair of complete ones, i for sure as hell dont know how to build them, so they are a little more offset than the fords eh? let me know where i can get em guys!....ill check out the 460fordforums later today....thanx alot guys for the help!
Reid

atxwrangler
04-01-2006, 10:20 AM
http://www.bluethunderauto.com/ here is the link you need!