PDA

View Full Version : ultimate carpet?

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Looking to to re-carpet the boat and I want to put the best carpet in that I can find. I found a 36 oz carpet for boats with a 7/16 nap. Feels real plush but I am concerned this may be to thick and hold water and mat down.
If anybody can dial me in on what is the best carpet for feel and durability I will be inclined to pay the sum of........1 MILLION DOLLARS !
Note:
Family and employees are not eligible for this promotion.

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 12:09 PM
What nobody has any suggestions?

cruser
04-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Check with the boat builders. I got some 40oz that felt nice and still looks good after 5 years. I got it from R&R Textiles I think.
Where is my $1,000,000.00? I am building a boat and that might just cover it.
cruzer

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Are you employed? Do you have family? If so I am sorry but I am going to have to disqualify you? See note above.
Thanks for the info. Five years on a 40 oz carpet and it is still doing good?! Unless I hear otherwise I may just try out the 36 oz.
Anyone else? A lot of views and only one response............ Sitting here shaking my head.

TCHB
04-18-2004, 05:48 PM
I have a Howard boat and the carpet is the best I have seen. You may want to contact them and see what they are using.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't know much about all this stuff. I just get in a ride.. :D but I also think the carpet would be too thick. I wouldn't think it would dry very well and eventually wouldn't it start to smell musty or something. Just my 2 cents from a girl .. ;) ;) :D

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 06:18 PM
2 cent from a girl? Better than what I am used to getting. Thanks!:D

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by TCHB
I have a Howard boat and the carpet is the best I have seen. You may want to contact them and see what they are using.
Thanks I probally will give them a call. Their web site indicates 40 oz carpet. Surprised me. I was starting to think like a girl! (V) :D

manuel
04-18-2004, 06:21 PM
How about doing like the offshore types, have the edges of the carpet binded and install snaps in the corners, then if they get real wet or soiled you can pull them out and clean them and hang them up to dry, and if you want to change colors later it would be easy. where I live we get a lot of afternoon showers and quick storms rolling through and I'm getting ready to go that route, too humid for anything to dry, weird moldy stuff starts growing fast.

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by manuel
How about doing like the offshore types, have the edges of the carpet binded and install snaps in the corners, then if they get real wet or soiled you can pull them out and clean them and hang them up to dry, and if you want to change colors later it would be easy. where I live we get a lot of afternoon showers and quick storms rolling through and I'm getting ready to go that route, too humid for anything to dry, weird moldy stuff starts growing fast.
Used to have a Scarab with snap out carpet and I never hardly ever pulled it out. It is hot enough here it drys out pretty quick. I am more worried when in use getting in and out wet swimming I dont want it to fell like a wet towel up under my feet.

Mandelon
04-18-2004, 07:15 PM
HalletDave has the original orange shag in his Hallet. It must be good stuff.!! :D

beyondhelpin
04-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Shagging on shag! Your not making my decision easy.:D

coolchange
04-18-2004, 08:38 PM
R&R textiles is what most builders use on the higher end boats. Someone on here said they now do taxable sales but a few years ago you had to have a resale. A snap in requires a special carpet that has a backing that will hold snaps and a binding.
There is a new carpet that is a medium weight (20-26 oz) that has a pattern that looks nice and a Berber that can be snapped in. Just dont use a carpet that has natural fibers(house) that will rot and mold.

gigamurph
04-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
HalletDave has the original orange shag in his Hallet. It must be good stuff.!! :D Uh......Mandelon, that IS NOT carpet! HalletDave sheds alot! :eek: :p I saw some "turf" type carpet that was orange and black, with the orange nearly matchin' the orange on my hull (it's actually '65 Ford Mustang red, so I'm told). Naturally I wasn't lookin' to recarpet when I saw it. Now that I could use it, can't find it! Typical!

Slick
04-19-2004, 08:52 AM
R&R Textiles is the Shit. I have an account with them if you're interested. Good ole boy network here.

HM
04-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Just be like OmegaBubbleJet and go for the AstroTurf - it is not just for trailer trash anymore.;)
(where has that trouble maker been anyways?)

gigamurph
04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
Just be like OmegaBubbleJet and go for the AstroTurf - it is not just for trailer trash anymore.;)
(where has that trouble maker been anyways?) Hey! I resemble that remark! Trailer trashy or not, I like the astroturf crap. It doesn't hold the water and simple to clean. Of course, if my boat wasn't so old I may have a different opinion!:D

beyondhelpin
04-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered a 28 oz short tight nap. I was afraid of the 36oz being 7/16 tall nap. Wasnt sure it would not feel like standing on a wet towel by the end of the day.