PDA

View Full Version : Water in Gas tanks

truksnboats
04-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Last weekend I went out to use the boat for the first time this season and about 5 min. down the river the boat no loger runs. After a bit of process of elimination, I found that there was a vast amount of water in my fuel even though I run a water trapper. I wanted to know the best way to remove this water out of the tanks or do i just have to drain it all.

fourspeednup
04-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Water will be on the bottom. If you have a provision to do so, you can drain the tank until fuel comes out-----worked on my lawnmower:D

truksnboats
04-19-2004, 03:28 PM
thanks, I was thinking the same thing but i'm wondering if just draining the whole thing would be better

roln 20s
04-19-2004, 03:30 PM
We had this problem in our Malibu after 800 hours of never draining the fuel tank. We had to drain the tank, clean it out, and then refill it with fuel. After that, we put some of that gas cleaner/ adder/ STP gunk stuff (you know the $2 think at the gas station. Now, no problems at all. Works great again, just one big pain in the ass.
Roln 20s

BLOWN BBF
04-20-2004, 08:43 AM
I had the same problem. Bought a boat that had been sitting for 3 years. It ran fine on the trailor and in the water at idle. When I'd give it the gas, of course the bow would go up and the water in the tank would run to back where the pick up tube is and would die. I siphand as much as I could but could never get it all. There is a water drier that big rig drivers add to their brake systems. I think it's some kind of methenal that mixes with the water so it'll burn off. I'm not at home or I could tell exactly what it is. Got it at the local Napa for about 16.00 a gallon and only used a little. Worked great, never had the problem again.

truksnboats
04-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I started to run my fuel pump with a line into some gas cans. I called some auto part stores that usually take old oil and they won't take my old gas. Anyone know where I can dump this stuff (legally). Thanks

Tee
04-20-2004, 11:11 AM
"Legaly!" Had to throw that in there didn't ya!
I had a similar issue a few years ago. I just let the gas and water separate in clean 5gal buckets then dipped out the gas and used it up in the lawn mower/weedeater/ truck. Whatever could hold a few gal.

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by truksnboats
Thanks for the input guys. I started to run my fuel pump with a line into some gas cans. I called some auto part stores that usually take old oil and they won't take my old gas. Anyone know where I can dump this stuff (legally). Thanks
Yep well see, if you lived in Folsom, the city comes to your house and picks up old gas, used oil, batteries, paint, all household hazardous wastes....:D

NorCalCat
04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
What is the best way to store a boat at the end of the season?
Full tank or empty tanks?

spectras only
04-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Full tanks stop condensation form developing while in storage [stabilizer is also recommended]. It 's less explosive when full,than with mostly fumes in the tank ;)

NorCalCat
04-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Good point!

OGShocker
04-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
End of the season? You northern guys crack me up...:D

OGShocker
04-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Last weekend I went out to use the boat for the first time this season and about 5 min. down the river the boat no loger runs. After a bit of process of elimination, I found that there was a vast amount of water in my fuel even though I run a water trapper. I wanted to know the best way to remove this water out of the tanks or do i just have to drain it all.
Are you in a Eliminator w/ red flames?

Dave C
04-22-2004, 10:16 AM
thats not funny! ;) We have been known to put our jackets on to go boating.
BTW hows that A/C bill coming along. Need a second job to pay for it yet! ;)
Originally posted by OGShocker
End of the season? You northern guys crack me up...:D

Lightning
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Dave C
The ac bill is not bad, how's the heating bill???

truksnboats
04-23-2004, 12:12 PM
OG I have an all red Kachina

OGShocker
04-23-2004, 12:18 PM
OG I have an all red Kachina
Then you were not alone at the lake. My buddy helped a guy in a brand new Eliminator with the same problem.

OGShocker
04-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave C
I never complain about paying for A/C power. I save enough money by not having to buy jackets, I can afford the A/C.:D

NorCalCat
04-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
I never complain about paying for A/C power. I save enough money by not having to buy jackets, I can afford the A/C.:D
Nothing wrong with the heat, but man in Chino, that is hot shite.:o You have to have misters on you hat. Too hot for me if there is no water to jump into.
On a serious not, (us Norther California Boaters) have to worry about storing in the winter. Is it better to have a full tank or an empty tank to avoid the condensation?

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
I have always stored my boat with full tanks (Fully stabilized), and I have never ever had water in the gas from storage. Got some bad gas at a marina once though. I rarely fill up at the dock, only if I am on the water for an extended (days) period.