PDA

View Full Version : Holley Guru's?

Tee
04-19-2004, 05:52 PM
I have a pair of Holley List #4223-S center squirter carbs. I purchased these under the understanding that they were 850's. After looking on the Holley website and in my Holley book....No #4223's exist. These carbs have a hole about 1/16" in the side of each bore also just above the throttle plates????
What the hell do I have here and how do I find the proper rebuild kits?????

Craig
04-19-2004, 06:41 PM
There's normally a slot that's the idle transfer slot, don't know if they did holes as well on center squirters? When ya'coming south again? Humbug was kicking this weekend :wink:

Tee
04-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Craig,
Will send ya a pic. These holes are on the outside of the bore to the open air?
Lookin at usin the ticket for Aqua Fria!! What weekend is that in June?
First night of Jr's is this Fri. Should get ya some new pics then. If it don't get rained out:mad: Savannah is pumped... Tells me everyday she is ready:cool:

LakesOnly
04-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Tee
I have a pair of Holley List #4223-S center squirter carbs. I purchased these under the understanding that they were 850's. After looking on the Holley website and in my Holley book....No #4223's exist. These carbs have a hole about 1/16" in the side of each bore also just above the throttle plates????
What the hell do I have here and how do I find the proper rebuild kits?????
Tee,
You have an extre-e-e-e-emly rare pair of Holley Carbs. They are indeed 850's, but they have not been made for about 35 years.
Surely you have heard of Holley 660 Center Squirter's, List# 4224; List#4223 are the 850 Center Squirters and are fantastic tunnel ram Carbs.
The Holley center squirter carb was (and still is) a great drag racing carburetor. it has a 50cc accelerator pump and and pump discharge nozzles located in the dead-center of the carb that spray down all four venturis of the carburetor. Also, the linkage between the primary and secondary throttle plates is not progressive; they are 1:1 ratio...that is to say, all four throttle plates open simultaneously.
This is preferred with tunnel ram set-ups because with two-fours, you essentially have eight throttle plates, one over each tunnel runner, opening simultaneously. Cool, huh?
Although 660's were made for some time and are still available, the 850 Center Squirter was made for only a year...maybe two years tops. The center squirter carbs were superceded by the double-pumper.
Carbs like yours are next to impossible to come by. I have only seen one other pair of center squirters in my entire life; they are in my living room.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Carb.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Carb_Over-med.jpg
Indeed, there are better 850 cfm carbs available today, but add the nostalgia and the cool factor, and nothing compares.
you lucky mother****in' dog, you,
LO
p.s. Post some pics and we can answe the questions about the details of your carbs...

disco_charger
04-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Huh, that's funny, I have one of those on my shelf, and I told someone about it, and he told me I was wrong, it wasn't a center squirter... He said there was no such thing. :D I just smiled and nodded. These kids today, I tell ya!

Tee
04-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks Lakes!!!!
Don't know how to post pics, but I can tell you that those are the exact carbs I have sitting on my work bench. Only mine have a bunch more Chrome BLING BLING shit like all the linkages, float screws, bowl screws etc, etc.. However yours don't have the black dirty carb shit inside the venturies that mine have.....
What are they worth to ya. I just want a good set of carbs for my blown 468 and would be will to sell/trade. I am not a nastalgia type person. I just want to get my boat on the lake in somewhat a reliable fashion. As reliable as you can get with a blower anyway!!!!!!
Craig, See the little holes above the throttle plates????? WTF!!!!

LakesOnly
04-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Tee, check your PM's
LO