PDA

View Full Version : If you buy a new to you boat...

wannajetboat
04-19-2004, 07:52 PM
that already has been named is it bad luck to remove it and rename it?
If I buy a jet boat finally what should I change my name to???:confused: :confused:
wannajetboat out...

fourspeednup
04-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Yep, it is bad luck.....but what could possibly go wrong out on the water;)

FRENCHIE
04-19-2004, 08:01 PM
no no no no no!:o

Boozer
04-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Buying a boat is bad luck period. Never ending money pit.
Change the name.

Kilrtoy
04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
BOATS
B=Bail
0=Out
A=Another
T=Thousand
S=Sucker

OutCole'd
04-19-2004, 08:07 PM
What would you change the name to? "Hot Boat" or maybe
"Cool Tub"?:D
Congrats on the new to you boat!!

Kilrtoy
04-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Sounds like he bought MANDELON's Boat

OutCole'd
04-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Sounds like he bought MANDELON's Boat
What would give you that idea??

DeltaSigBoater
04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
It's not bad luck to rename a boat when you first buy it, but it is bad luck to rename a boat once you buy it, then rename the boat again somewhere down the road

Kilrtoy
04-19-2004, 09:15 PM
What would give you that idea
HOT BOAT
COOL TUB

wannajetboat
04-20-2004, 05:57 AM
I just noticed, I finally have a half century worth of posts, wow it only took me two and a half years. I am post challanged, somebody help me please. :cool:

OutCole'd
04-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
What would give you that idea
HOT BOAT
COOL TUB
Oh, that's what.:p

wannajetboat
04-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
It's not bad luck to rename a boat when you first buy it, but it is bad luck to rename a boat once you buy it, then rename the boat again somewhere down the road
:confused: :confused: :confused: Can you please explain the difference of when you first buy it and once you buy it.

Mandelon
04-20-2004, 06:24 AM
What if the name is just vinyl letters? Its not like it was painted on........never meant to be permanent.
I say go with the "Irma-nator" :D :D Even if you just glue some cut out paper letters on it for a day, just to freak her out, Barry. Too Funny!!!!
There are some real sleuths on this board........you guys figgered that out awfully quick.
I searched it and found there is a ceremony you must do....
Renaming Your Boat
To change the name of your boat without fear of reprisal, first you must obliterate the old boat name everywhere you find it. For example, run a piece of sandpaper once across any surface where it is displayed, including the transom, bow, superstructure, tender, ship's log (log's are often retained by new owners for their maintenance schedules), life ring, life raft, salt and pepper shakers, and so on. You can also draw a single line through the boat name everywhere it appears with a marker.
Now write the soon-to-be-exorcised boat name on a piece of paper, fold the paper, and place it in a small cardboard or wooden box. Burn the box. Scoop up the ashes and throw them into the sea on an outgoing tide. If you live on a lake, do it at night and only during a new moon. River dwellers should send the ashes downstream.
You may now change the boat name everywhere on your vessel without fear of invoking bad luck.
Personally I would skip the sandpaper part, and make sure the ceremony involved a lot of beer.
;)
There were other ceremonies on the internet. I just searched "renaming a boat bad luck" and I got a lot of replies. Good Luck!!!

burtandnancy
04-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Thats an old sailors tale. But I can tell you when its good luck. When you change from a registered boat to a documented boat. Thats when you get lucky...

LeE ss13
04-20-2004, 06:54 AM
There is a formal proceedure for denaming a boat so you can christen it under a new name. Here are links.
Vigor's (http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm)
Tanzer's (http://tanzer.freeservers.com/boat_denaming.htm)
Remember, you don't have to BREAK a bottle of Champaign over the bow for christening, you can just pour it over. The important thing is don't drink any of it. Pour it all. Drink from another bottle if you must.

Froggystyle
04-20-2004, 08:13 AM
One of the reasons you should pull the name off of any boat you sell. Bad luck is obviously superstition, so if you have no sense of the bad luck, it will never haunt you.
Leaving the name on usually limits people looking to buy for weird reasons.
What is really strange is, when Clownpuncher bought "On the Rocks" he knew I was going to take off the name and talked me into leaving it up there, because it had great meaning for him as well. That was cool. So, OTR is still on the prowl... looking for bikinis to devour and beer to consume!
Wes

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by wannajetboat
:confused: :confused: :confused: Can you please explain the difference of when you first buy it and once you buy it.
Ok...say you buy a boat that’s named “Slow Ride” it is not bad luck to change the name to something else.
So you have a new name on the boat just for conversation say you named it “Hoochiemama”
Well after a season of boating you no longer care for the name “Hoochiemama” and after some serious thought you rename the boat to “Flirtin’ With Disaster”
Since you have now renamed the boat twice this is considered bad luck.

wannajetboat
04-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
Ok...say you buy a boat that’s named “Slow Ride” it is not bad luck to change the name to something else.
So you have a new name on the boat just for conversation say you named it “Hoochiemama”
Well after a season of boating you no longer care for the name “Hoochiemama” and after some serious thought you rename the boat to “Flirtin’ With Disaster”
Since you have now renamed the boat twice this is considered bad luck.
Thanks for clarifying.

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks for clarifying.
Why I'm here :D

mirvin
04-20-2004, 12:46 PM
If it were me I'd keep the name of the boat and slowly assume the personality of and then eventually the identity of the one and only:D
mirvin

Mandelon
04-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh sure, then who do I get to be???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :D
What will his office smell like? Will he post a picture of himself on the toilet? Will he go home smelling like strippers? Make a hershey squirt at work?
Where's the love..........? :frown:

Mandelon
04-20-2004, 04:59 PM
How about if I peel off the name before it is sold. That way he won't be changing the name, cuz there will not be a name????
That should avoid the whole curse thing altogether. :p

Lightning
04-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
How about if I peel off the name before it is sold. That way he won't be changing the name, cuz there will not be a name????
That should avoid the whole curse thing altogether. :p
I think peeling the name off before it is sold is acceptable.

wannajetboat
04-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Well if you peel it off that will certainly save me some work, would you mind detailing it while your at it? JK, I cant wait to get my hands on it, I hope I don't get jinxed.
Thanks Mandelon, did you get the deposit check today?
wannajetboat out...
I need a new log-in, any suggestions????:cool:

OutCole'd
04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
How about " Ihaveajetboat"???

Mandelon
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
I say go for: GottaJetBoat. I will peel off the name. Then I'll detail........................ the transom......
Deposit check arrived. And I PROMISE not to sell it before you get here....:rolleyes:
When are you coming for it?
:cool: :cool: :cool:

wannajetboat
04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Hopefully sooner than later, I would guess that I will have all funds in hand in about 1 week, can I pick it up in the middle of the week? I would really like to pick your brain before I tug it home. Are you still planning on going to Squaw Lake in a couple of weekends? :)

Mandelon
04-21-2004, 05:34 AM
I will be around, so mid-week is typically no problem. Our weekend at Squaw was April 30 to May 2, but even if you haven't picked it up by then I probably would not take it, being it is under contract, and so nothing would happen to it.
I was thinking of going to San Vicente on Saturday morning, put some fresh fuel in the tanks and running for a bit just to make sure its all working right.
Do you or the "Angels" want to come?
Sunday we have some family dealio, so it would have to be Sat am.

OGShocker
04-21-2004, 05:38 AM
How about......Mandelonsawmecoming.:D

wannajetboat
04-21-2004, 05:40 AM
Let me verify with the Irma-Nator :D that we aren't doing anything, if we aren't than I would love to get a test ride before you hand me the keys. I am off to Mission Viejo this a.m. for a meeting, I should be back in the office around noon, can I get back with you after lunch?
is wannajetboat going to be gottajetboat, tune in next week.:confused:

Wet Dream
04-21-2004, 05:48 AM
This is one that I've heard, here on the boards. This was talked about a couple of years ago, but all you have to do take the original name of the boat and place it elsewhere on the boat. So what I came up with is go to WalMart or somewhere that has the machine that engraves dog tags. Have the name engraved on one of those little plates and epoxy it or screw it somewhere on the boat (under the dash, bilge area) where it doesn't have to be seen.

Mandelon
04-21-2004, 05:54 AM
Let me verify with the Irma-Nator :D that we aren't doing anything, if we aren't than I would love to get a test ride before you hand me the keys. I am off to Mission Viejo this a.m. for a meeting, I should be back in the office around noon, can I get back with you after lunch?
is wannajetboat going to be gottajetboat, tune in next week.:confused:
Sure. I'll check in later.