PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for new boat

bohica
04-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Sold my 34' Magic this weekend and the search for a new boat starts. I've narrowed it down to 3 boats.
26' Playcraft Extreme Pontoon boat w/ 350 mag.
28 Topcat w/ 496HO
28 Magic Deck boat w/ 496 HO
What kind of real world speeds a people getting with the Conquest and Magic deckboats with similar power.
When sitting on the trailer, will it fit in a garage with 8' doors.
How does the factory do on custom stereo installs?

Mike67rs
04-20-2004, 11:37 AM
My boat runs 65+ with 4 people (on speedo). I had it up to about 70 alone for a short time, but since it is new I didn't want to push it too hard. We had narrowed down our search to the Conquest and Magic Deckboats. Ultimately, the deck layout on the Magic won us over.
You should be OK with the 8' tall garage (I assume you do not mean width). The boat itself will clear without a problem. The ladder post on the front of the trailer will be real close. Mine is at 7'10" on my truck. I'm sure it can be trimmed down a few inches to suit your needs.
I am really happy with my Magic experience and customer service if that means anything.

vodkarocks
04-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Bohica, I have a 28' Magic deckboat. Took it out for the third time last weekend and couldn't be happier.
With 3 adults and one child and about 30 gallons of gas it got up to 72 last fall. On Sunday with 5 adults and about the same gas
the speed was about 68.(I have the 496 HO)
Not sure if it will fit in the garage
Magic charged me a couple hundred bucks to install my stereo
and only have had 1 small problem with a sub and they fixed it.
So far we love it

chub
04-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I think more power is in order for either of those models. Remember the deck boat anthem is plenty of storage for mom and 100MPH for dad!:D

bohica
04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by chub
I think more power is in order for either of those models. Remember the deck boat anthem is plenty of storage for mom and 100MPH for dad!:D
Just need enough power to be faster than the Stoker:D

Havasu_Dreamin
04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Are the speeds being posted on a traditional boat speedo or a GPS speedo? If it's a traditional boat speedo, pitot tube, your speeds are most likely 5-7 MPH less than what the speedo says as they are notoriously optimistic.

boatnam2
04-20-2004, 12:04 PM
i also will be making a new boat purchase today or tommorow.it was between the conquest,magic and lavey.if i get one it will be the lavey.didnt really like the look at first but it has really grown on me and missboatnam.will be putting my teague 620 in it and and selling my lavey with a new 496 and drive.

OutCole'd
04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Another Happy Magic owner here. As far as speeds, the best I have seen is 81 on GPS but I have a 525, not 496HO.

mbrown2
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Between the three I would get the Magic Deck...just more flexible setup than the cat.....Pontoons are nice since you don't have to be gel bottoms....but its not going to be same level of ride as the Magic..
Boatnam, good luck on your new purchase...

revpuffdaddy
04-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Magic builds a very nice boat. I looked closely at construction and customer service issues....I chose the Conquest Top Cat II. Make sure you go by and talk to Keith Sayer prior to making your final decision. Take a ride in both as well. We take delivery of ours in about 3 to 4 more weeks.

HCS
04-20-2004, 01:34 PM
If you buy a new boat make sure it has all the proper warning
stickers!:p

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
If you buy a new boat make sure it has all the proper warning
stickers!:p
You know, starting the engine might chop up endangered fish, open eyes when moving, don't jump on the prop.....ooh I coulda sued them over that one......:D

Froggystyle
04-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
You know, starting the engine might chop up endangered fish, open eyes when moving, don't jump on the prop.....ooh I coulda sued them over that one......:D
Assuming your boat has a prop of course.
I better not even start on the factory stereo question or stock power.
hehe

welk2party
04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Warning! Boating is extremely dangerous. While we recommend that you use our quality boat for recreational use, we regret to inform you that any activity is potentialy hazardous. Since you are likely to sue us to extinction, we much prefer you buy our products and keep them on the trailer. Also, we feel due to the detrimental impact the engine has to the water and air environments we also urge you not to start the engine. We must also warn you that should you start the engine, to not be tempted to stop the moving components or check for heat while the engine is operating.

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Assuming your boat has a prop of course.
I better not even start on the factory stereo question or stock power.
hehe
Good point.........:p

Kilrtoy
04-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Why did you down size,
you dont see that but in a blue moon

rivercrazy
04-20-2004, 04:21 PM
My vote would go toward the Conquest. :D

bohica
04-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Why did you down size,
you dont see that but in a blue moon
Just got tired of having the upkeep of 2 motors plus with a wife and 2 kids, I think they'll have more fun in a deckboat. Plus having to climb up on the bow was getting old. Also try lifting a 90lb lab into a 34 Magic at the launch ramp.:D

LakeRacer
04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by bohica
Just got tired of having the upkeep of 2 motors plus with a wife and 2 kids, I think they'll have more fun in a deckboat. Plus having to climb up on the bow was getting old. Also try lifting a 90lb lab into a 34 Magic at the launch ramp.:D
= getting older sucks!!!
Dude, haven't seen you in a while. Whassup?

Ivan Dan
04-20-2004, 07:13 PM
I took delivery of my Magic Deckboat in January and had it out for the 3rd trip Easter weekend. I had 11 people (with all thier shit), 3 loaded down coolers, 96 gallons of fuel and I was seeing about 58 or so. With warmer temps, no coolers, about 25 gallons of fuel and 4 people I was seeing 65-68 depending on water conditions. With cooler temps and 2 people I was seeing 70 no problem.
This is with a GPS speedo so they are very accurate numbers and no exageration.

bohica
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by LakeRacer
= getting older sucks!!!
Dude, haven't seen you in a while. Whassup?
Hey Art, long time no see. You still have the Advantage. I got hit with the Glamis bug real hard, last weekend was my first Havasu trip since Sept. of last year.
You got it right, getting old sucks. Time for the easy on, easy off of a deckboat. Really leaning towards the Conquest with the 525. It's up to Keith now to convince the wife that a 496 just won't cut it. Gonna miss the smooth ride of the deep v, but with twins, it was like owning 2 boats.

roln 20s
04-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Really leaning towards the Conquest with the 525.
That would be my choice too:D
Roln 20s

Havasu_Dreamin
04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Really leaning towards the Conquest with the 525.
That should be smokin' fast!

OutCole'd
04-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Gotta go with the 525. I have the Magic (same Boat) with the 525 and don't regret it one bit.

bohica
04-21-2004, 03:15 PM
What's the speed sensation in a deckboat like. 75-80 mph in a 34 deep V was like a stroll in the park. 75-80 in a 19ft boat felt like you were really hauling ass being that close to the water.. Is that the same feeling in an open deckboat. Never ridden in one, so don't know what to expect.:D

boatnam2
04-21-2004, 03:15 PM
bohica rode in the magic with the 525 in really rough water a few weeks ago .the 525 is a sweet running motor with pretty good zip and had plenty of power to get the boat up on top of the big rollers .didnt get to ride in the conquest was kinda bummed but probaly would of been a waste of keiths time since we went with the lavey.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-21-2004, 03:16 PM
What's the speed sensation in a deckboat like.
When I took a demo ride in a deckboat I was amazed at how windy it was.

boatnam2
04-21-2004, 03:23 PM
yea it did seem a little windy but the day we went out it was blowing big time.water looked like last weekend.

boatnam2
04-21-2004, 03:33 PM
i had a cat before my vee so i liked the ride already of a cat and cant wait to get back.bohica with you only being a vee man and a big vee at that its going to feel way different.you need to drive the boat with the same power your going to get if at all possible.i think the problem your going to find is going fast with the little ones in the cat compared to the vee when its rough out.with the open cockpit feel momma will need to be hanging on to the kids probaly not a problem in the 34.just my opinon remember deck boat guys im buying one.

OutCole'd
04-21-2004, 03:42 PM
What's the speed sensation in a deckboat like. 75-80 mph in a 34 deep V was like a stroll in the park. 75-80 in a 19ft boat felt like you were really hauling ass being that close to the water.. Is that the same feeling in an open deckboat. Never ridden in one, so don't know what to expect.:D
Next time I go to Havasu I will let you know & we go for a ride.

bohica
04-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Well, after checking out all the boats I was interested in this weekend in Havasu, we made up our minds. Put a deposit down on a new Top Cat II with the 525hp, XR drive and dual ram ext. steering. Gotta come up the the graphics soon. Shoud take delivery in about 11 weeks.
Gotta give props to the guy that gave me a ride in his Magic deckboat, I think his name was Jeff. That was one sweet boat.
I've known Keith at Conquest for about 8 years now and felt the most comfortable buying a boat from him. I know he'll take care of me, and make sure I take delivery of a very nice boat.
Thanks Keith. :D

jbtrailerjim
04-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Good choice. Congrats on the new Conquest. Keith is a helluva nice guy.

1ASKYDV
04-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Gotta give props to the guy that gave me a ride in his Magic deckboat, I think his name was Jeff. That was one sweet boat.
That was me! :D :D
Congrats on the new boat. I got to take a ride in your old boat later in the day. That thing is a lot of fun!
Larry

bohica
04-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Sorry about the name thing Larry. Thanks again for the ride.
Kelly & Todd had a blast in their new boat. Only one eff up. Sunday morning I was getting stuff out of their boat and noticed the stereo left on all night. 4 dead batteries and needed a jump start at the ramp.:D

Rubths
04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Bohica Im in the market for a new tunnel deck, lets see what kind of deal we can get ordering two!

phebus
04-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Well, after checking out all the boats I was interested in this weekend in Havasu, we made up our minds. Put a deposit down on a new Top Cat II with the 525hp, XR drive and dual ram ext. steering. Gotta come up the the graphics soon. Shoud take delivery in about 11 weeks.:D
That is not your average deckboat. Very nice. :D

Rubths
04-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by phebus
That is not your average deckboat. Very nice. :D
No kidding. Duane put a hold on my order its out of my leage:( Thats almost what I paid for my first house :mad: You lucky bastard;) My wife says I have to live in the 60k range:frown: