PDA

View Full Version : Bill aims to prevent boating deaths.

HCS
04-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Story here (http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/8971596p-9897767c.html)
Sorry about the loss of the kids, but I'm not sticking a warning
sticker on the back of my boat. If they want to force boat
manufactures to do it on new boats go for it. But all boats new
and used. **** that. If they mail out warning stickers to boat
owners and insist that you put it on your boat, they can stick it
up their asses.
Their also going after wake surfing. It will be outlawed on Folsom
Lake in California. And also at Lake Oroville the cops will be
citing people for wake surfing even though there isn't any law
against it.
I'm not stupid enough to teak surf. And I don't wake surf. But I
think it's overboard.
Common sense and responsability come to mind.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-20-2004, 12:33 PM
I sent that Assemblymen an e-mail when this first came up a few months ago. This a joke! While I feel for the loss of the children, as the idiot assemlyman said".....both deaths were preventable." Take some GD responsibility for yourself, and your family members, and don't do stupid things like teak surfing! The boat manufacturers are not to blame, the parents are! When will they outlaw stupidity?!?!?!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-20-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't have any problem putting a sticker on the back of my boat, if they send it to me and it's not too big. It's not that big of a deal. I don't think there should be a law requiring it, but I'd do it under the above conditions.

summerlove
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
I sent that Assemblymen an e-mail when this first came up a few months ago. This a joke! While I feel for the loss of the children, as the idiot assemlyman said".....both deaths were preventable." Take some GD responsibility for yourself, and your family members, and don't do stupid things like teak surfing! The boat manufacturers are not to blame, the parents are! When will they outlaw stupidity?!?!?!
Geez Scott! I don't think I've ever seen you go off like that! And, as a -- democrat -- I could not agree with you more! You said it perfectly!:mad:

wannajetboat
What happened to good old common sense?

hoolign
04-20-2004, 12:40 PM
I too am sorry for the deaths of the children,the parents should be charged with neglegence.I mean really, if the kids are sitting behind the car while it's running would they say.."well, I did'nt think that exhaust from a car was really that bad"

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Mike Farr, whose son died on Folsom Lake last May, said he had bodysurfed more than 100 times before that day, and never had a clue as to the dangers.
"The boating industry is not doing anything to warn people about this," he said. "There was no warning on the boat anywhere..
I was at Folsom Lake the day this happened. I went right by the location probably 10 - 30 minutes before it happened. By the time I got to the ramp, the helicopter was out over the scene, and I saw what had happened on the news.
Now as horrible as I feel about the loss of an innocent child, what the hell was the father thinking. Whatever happened to common sense. Yes you CAN get carbon monoxide poisioning if you suck on the tailpipe of a car, why not a boat.......DUH! I would NEVER have let one of my kids do that even with a tournament type boat.
Besides even with the prop spinning up under the hull... shit can happen... I just shake my head in amazement when people like this dodge their responsibility and seek to pin it on the "deep pockets". The only party at any fault here is the FATHER... he was in charge, he was the skipper and he was negligent.... besides being stupid.
Kinda like saying gun control will stop gun related crime....NOT.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Geez Scott! I don't think I've ever seen you go off like that! And, as a -- democrat -- I could not agree with you more! You said it perfectly!:mad:
Yes, I went off a little didn't I, Rick? not something I do very often. But I'm just so tired of people playing the blame game. It's way past the point of being old. People need to accept responsibility for their OWN actions. Additonal laws are not the answer. We already have laws on the books to address this isuue, it's called negligence!

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Yes, I went off a little didn't I, Rick? not something I do very often. But I'm just so tired of people playing the blame game. It's way past the point of being old. People need to accept responsibility for their OWN actions. Additonal laws are not the answer. We already have laws on the books to address this isuue, it's called negligence!
If you are going to own and use a boat, you probably should know a little about making it work and do's and don'ts. I bet if you look in the manual for his Mercruiser or PCM inboard engine, there are warnings aplenty about Carbon Monoxide poisoning...
This guy is trying to deflect his own guilt for his neglegence by pursuing this ridiculous path....:rolleyes:

91nordic29
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
good lord! the propeller alone is enough reason to stay the @#%& away from the back of the boat while it is running! that is just crazy.

miller19j
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
You know it’s funny how they claim that the boating industry is doing nothing to prevent this. But when I took a safe boating class from the coastguard (free of charge). It talked about the dangers of working around the back of the boat and exhaust fumes. Maybe if the parent took some time to learn about boats (or had any common sense for that matter) this wouldn’t have happened.
The marine industry is not to blame. Warning stickers are not the answer. What next; do I put a sticker on my fuel fill that says,”Not an ash tray” Do I need a sticker in my engine compartment with a picture of a guy getting caught in the pulley? Where would it end?
People need to be held accountable for their own actions plane and simple! That is the root to 90% of the problems we face today. That father was negligent plane and simple!

Havasu_Dreamin
04-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Seeing how most of us are liked minded on this subject, we really need to look into starting some type of organization that lobby on our behalf, the common-sense boaters. Maybe there already is an organization, I don't know. What I do know is that there are plenty of groups out there are organized enough to want to drain Lake Powell, put warning stickers that advies you to not touch the moving pulley in your boat engine, etc. We need to be just as organized and just as vocal or we will be on the short end of the stick.

welk2party
04-20-2004, 01:21 PM
This probably goes for anything you can think of. Have you read some of the rediculous warnings on our consumer products. It makes you wonder what happened that would make a company warn you not to put your hand on a moving part. Or not to eat motor oil or any other lame ass warning. The politicians are so busy protecting us from ourselves to keep them busy. :mad:

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
The politicians are so busy protecting us from ourselves to keep them busy. :mad:
thank god they are there to save us..........:rolleyes:

Tom Foolery
04-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
This guy is trying to deflect his own guilt for his neglegence by pursuing this ridiculous path....:rolleyes:
My thoughts exactly. Its not my fault, look all these elected officals agree with me.

miller19j
04-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Seeing how most of us are liked minded on this subject, we really need to look into starting some type of organization that lobby on our behalf, the common-sense boaters. Maybe there already is an organization, I don't know. What I do know is that there are plenty of groups out there are organized enough to want to drain Lake Powell, put warning stickers that advies you to not touch the moving pulley in your boat engine, etc. We need to be just as organized and just as vocal or we will be on the short end of the stick.
There is already a group it’s called the Republican Party.
You know smaller government because people are better at making their own decisions than the government. It is the liberals that bring all this crap on. They believe that we all need to be protected from ourselves.
It’s not just a boating problem; the problem of responsibility is all over. People no longer want to take responsibility for their actions anywhere. It’s always someone else’s fault. McDonalds makes coffee to hot and food to fattening, the list goes on and on!

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Tom Foolery
My thoughts exactly. Its not my fault, look all these elected officals agree with me.
Wonder if these people would be classified by the News Media as "activists" now. Like Anti-stupidity activists, or Anti-Carbon Monoxide activists, or Pro-anti-boating activists...... ouch! I think I just hurt myself....:p

HCS
04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
It a feel good bill. Ok were sorry you guys are idiots so we'll
pass a bill to make you feel better. Now every time you see
a warning label on the back of a boat you can remember how
dumb you were.

HM
04-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Wonder if these people would be classified by the News Media as "activists" now. Like Anti-stupidity activists, or Anti-Carbon Monoxide activists, or Pro-anti-boating activists...... ouch! I think I just hurt myself....:p
Perhaps since they claim they want to prevent deaths, they could be "Pro Life"? Oh wait, that would contradict their stance on their right to kill babies.:(
Just be like Al Bundy. Punch the guy in the face, and then sue him for hurting your hand - this does not apply to biatch slapping.;)

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2004, 01:57 PM
A few weeks ago i took the boat out to folsom,nice day me and the kid had a good time... not too many boats on the water.
when we were close to the 5 mph zone there was a guy wake surfing or skiing... whatever you want to call it.
I wanted to be the buzzkill and tell him how he could easily die...stopped myself and thought "survival of the fittest(sp?) or survival of the smartest"...
NG-->shakin' his head....you can't put a sticker on everything...

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
A few weeks ago i took the boat out to folsom,nice day me and the kid had a good time... not too many boats on the water.
when we were close to the 5 mph zone there was a guy wake surfing or skiing... whatever you want to call it.
I wanted to be the buzzkill and tell him how he could easily die...stopped myself and thought "survival of the fittest(sp?) or survival of the smartest"...
NG-->shakin' his head....you can't put a sticker on everything... f
I think he needs a sign..... STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

roostwear
04-20-2004, 02:00 PM
..............................................(wai ting for the sticker for my car)

Dribble
04-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Here's my Letter to the Editor of the Sacramento Bee when they published a story entitled "A hidden hazard". It as well as several others like it were published.
RE: A hidden hazard, a boy’s death.
Anthony Farr tragically drowned, not because the boat manufacturer failed to put a label on the boat warning of the dangers of inhaling exhaust fumes. He died because of poor judgement on the part of those who should have known better. Perhaps to some, this hazard was hidden. To most other recreational boaters it wasn’t. A series of mistakes caused this tragedy. The most serious of which was the failure to comply with the law that requires a life jacket be worn by anyone under the age of twelve. Ski boat manufacturers did not cause this, or the other similar tragedies. If warning labels are mandated, they should read: WARNING: RECKLESS BEHAVIOR MAY CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH.

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Dribble
Here's my Letter to the Editor of the Sacramento Bee when they published a story entitled "A hidden hazard". It as well as several others like it were published.
RE: A hidden hazard, a boy’s death.
Anthony Farr tragically drowned, not because the boat manufacturer failed to put a label on the boat warning of the dangers of inhaling exhaust fumes. He died because of poor judgement on the part of those who should have known better. Perhaps to some, this hazard was hidden. To most other recreational boaters it wasn’t. A series of mistakes caused this tragedy. The most serious of which was the failure to comply with the law that requires a life jacket be worn by anyone under the age of twelve. Ski boat manufacturers did not cause this, or the other similar tragedies. If warning labels are mandated, they should read: WARNING: RECKLESS BEHAVIOR MAY CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH.
dribble, good reply....
i would have changed one thing...take out "reckless" insert "stupid"....

NorCalCat
04-20-2004, 02:26 PM
I still don't know what teak surfing is...Someone explain.

NorCal Gameshow
04-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
I still don't know what teak surfing is...Someone explain.
This is what I know:
teak surfing is when you grab the swim step and ride...all the while enjoying the nice aroma of spent fossil fuels...

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 02:36 PM
This is what I know:
teak surfing is when you grab the swim step and ride...all the while enjoying the nice aroma of spent fossil fuels...
Probably smells like Dinosaur Ass.......:rolleyes:

NorCalCat
04-20-2004, 03:14 PM
This is what I know:
So you are saying someone is standing on the swim platform of the boat as you are underway?

HM
04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
So you are saying someone is standing on the swim platform of the boat as you are underway?
Standing or holding on to the swim step while "body surfing" behind the boat - and sometimes they haul ass! They will stand on the swim step and the driver will attempt to throw them off with eradic driving.
They call it teak surfing because most of the people doing it are on tournament type boats with teak swim steps.

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
Standing or holding on to the swim step while "body surfing" behind the boat - and sometimes they haul ass! They will stand on the swim step and the driver will attempt to throw them off with eradic driving.
They call it teak surfing because most of the people doing it are on tournament type boats with teak swim steps.
I think that oughta be a required event in the Darwin Olympics...:rolleyes:

Seadog
04-20-2004, 03:24 PM
How much you want to bet, the legislator is a lawyer or has close personal campaign contributors who are.

NorCalCat
04-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Why not prosicute the parents for being total idiots. Clearly they do not deserve to be driving a boat if they don't have the common sense here.
In the wild days we would jump out of the boat while moving, very fast and there were no parents around...But to be holding on to the swim step. Come on.

HCS
04-20-2004, 03:31 PM
You hang from the platform while the boat is idling, (like an idiot)
acting like your in a jaquzzi. But while your in the jaquzzi you
need to put a tail pipe up your nose. As a long time boater this
is one of the stupidest acts Iv'e ever seen.:rolleyes:

HCS
04-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Why not prosicute the parents for being total idiots. Clearly they do not deserve to be driving a boat if they don't have the common sense here.
In the wild days we would jump out of the boat while moving, very fast and there were no parents around...But to be holding on to the swim step. Come on.
Prosecuting the parents was considered. It's child endangerment.
I think that's one of the reasons the parents are trying to blame
it on boat manufactures. Their claiming ignorant.
We didn't know. That way they can get out of being prosecuted.

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2004, 03:43 PM
I’ve surfed the wake of a 42’ sportfisher, yes surfed and I was wearing a lifevest. But whoever was the genius that thought holding on to the swimstep while the boat is running needs to be taken and put in a 6x6 white padded room with the color coordinating jacket. The same goes for the people who allow their children, family & friends to teaksurf.

Kilrtoy
04-20-2004, 05:23 PM
hanging on the back of the boat while it cruises, Swim step

Drunk tank
04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
well I recon if you held on to the back of my boat the berkly woulndt be havin any of that shit and blow you right the hell off! Of course I dont have a swim step and if ya step on my cav plates I'll punch you off em.
As for the CO... I often like to find a nice little cove and if the water is cold, let the engine idle and all that hot water commin out the stacks makes a nice little warm spot... tie the tube up and float right there... life is good! :D

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Prosecuting the parents was considered. It's child endangerment.
I think that's one of the reasons the parents are trying to blame
it on boat manufactures. Their claiming ignorant.
We didn't know. That way they can get out of being prosecuted.
I went to the lake two weekends following the Folsom incident and the kids parents were out there passing out fliers warning boaters of the danger that those evil boat manufacturers hadn't warned them about. I got one and almost said something and decided to just let it go......
But if blame needs to be assigned, I give 100% to the father and skipper. He should have had enough common sense to know that was dangerous...