PDA

View Full Version : Fear Defined

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 03:08 PM
My son just got his license today and made his first trip to the store. Anyone wanna bet he makes a few side trips? Who else has teens driving? Any stories that'll make me sick to my stomach?

Jbb
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Been there...done that...Pray for the best and Insure everything!

hoolign
04-20-2004, 03:11 PM
I'd wait about six months before you read anyones post :D all I gotta say is be strong:p

Dr. Eagle
04-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Been there...done that...Pray for the best and Insure everything!
Don't forget the large Umbrella policy.......

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
I have 5-6 years to wait.. let me know how it goes.. ;) :D

manuel
04-20-2004, 03:31 PM
What is he driving ? I think they should all start out in huge ugly cars, Olds vistacruiser wagons, Caddy sedans, Checker ex-cabs, that way nobody wants to ride with them so there are no distractions, when they do hit something they don't get hurt, and if you make them buy their own gas they can't go too far in those gas hogs, cheaper insurance, just liability and after 6 month's then with no problems you can get them a real car.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Forensic
Wow Mrs V, our kids are the same age.... Or so it seems by the 5-6 year qoute.
All I can say is when my kids start driving, its gonna keep me awake at nights until they get home. If my first few years are any example of how all kids start, look out. I was good but not as good as I THOUGHT I was.
I have an 9 year old girl and a 10 year old boy.. I'm scared.. :D :D
when they start driving. if they are anything like me look out guys.. ;) :D

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by manuel
What is he driving ? I think they should all start out in huge ugly cars, Olds vistacruiser wagons, Caddy sedans, Checker ex-cabs, that way nobody wants to ride with them so there are no distractions, when they do hit something they don't get hurt, and if you make them buy their own gas they can't go too far in those gas hogs, cheaper insurance, just liability and after 6 month's then with no problems you can get them a real car.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, big and slow. About 10MPG:D

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2004, 03:46 PM
TAKE OUT THE RADIO :D
No teen want to drive &/or ride in anything w/o a radio, but there is less distractions that way!
If he really wants a radio then go find an old AM(no FM) w/ the 8-track deck. If he doesnt like that tell him he can have a Citizen Band Radio, w/o a PA speaker.

Kilrtoy
04-20-2004, 03:56 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY
This is gonna be a good one, I have 4 years to wait on that one

manuel
04-20-2004, 04:33 PM
"1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, big and slow. About 10MPG"
Perfect! if it has the vinyl woodgrain on the sides that would help.
My dad would take me out to the old Lockheed parking lot and make me learn how long it takes to stop, how tight is too tight, and stuff like that just to get the feel for how it would react.
Didn't help since by 16 I was an "expert" and knew everything already and was invincible too.

Debbolas
04-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Our daughter has been driving for about a year and a half. She took the class, we both drove with her, (altho Mr. Scream "acted" calmer than I did. I kept putting my foot down to help her stop)
She had one minor problem, fender bender about a week after she got her license. She was so hysterical I thought she was lying in the street surrounded by paramedics. I get down there and she has pulled into a parking place and barely scraped a Honda. Cost us $500, and put the fear of god into her. She wasn't invinceble......and was very carefull after that.
There are some of her friends that she won't drive with...
She has a little car that does not go fast. And when she is driving every time the phone rings, I think it is her, telling us she has been in a wreck. I wonder if that ever goes away.......

Mandelon
04-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Go real fast and yank up on the parking brake......wheeeeeee. Like Rockford Files........
Kinda hard to do that in a Wagoneer. Put surf racks on it, that will be cooler. ;)
What ever happened to that movie Red Asphalt?

Scream
04-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Ya know K26, I was lookin at a cheap Cherokee or something, but my daughter couldn't, or better yet, wouldn't consider me buying anything but an automatic. Toyota Tercel it is...
That car fits in the back of my Dodge duelly. Plus it's just strong enough to get out of it's own way. Couldn't be happier.
You will only worry about your son if you don't know where he is and where he's going. Be nosy.

fourspeednup
04-20-2004, 05:04 PM
At 16 I had been wrenching at a local shop for a couple years already so I like to think that helped me when I became legal to drive. A lot of my classmates wrecked but I didn't...same with most of my gearhead buddies. I think we had more respect/pride in our rides:cool: Help him do some work on the truck like oil changes and brakes.
Oh and...I think they should all start out in huge ugly cars, Olds vistacruiser wagons, Caddy sedans, Checker ex-cabs, my last ride was a 72 caddy coupe d' EVIL--done up in Kustom style
Next rod might be a 65 Cad or Lincoln w/ a BB to tow my boat
low and slow (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=32642&password=&sort=7&thecat=500)

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
Next rod might be a 65 Cad or Lincoln w/ a BB to tow my boat
That would be soo sick lookin' :D

AdrenelineOD
04-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Put a big phriggin bumper on it. Most people get in an accident there first year. I don`t know anyone who didn`t.:( I hope for the best and also put a breathalizer in it.:D My daughter is going to get a sandrail with fenders.:D

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:08 PM
How about this, he got his license today and I wrecked the Park Ave. OK some some uninsured jackball turned in front of me and took off, but I still feel like I wrecked the car. Here's the bad part, I just sold it and the lady is supposed to pick it up next week. Glad I didn't take her deposit.

fourspeednup
04-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
How about this, he got his license today and I wrecked the Park Ave. OK some some uninsured jackball turned in front of me and took off, but I still feel like I wrecked the car. Here's the bad part, I just sold it and the lady is supposed to pick it up next week. Glad I didn't take her deposit.
A couple cars ago I was on my way back from the DMV after getting some paperwork and heading to my buds house where he was gonna give me the cash for it (74 dart--pimped out)
Some cockbag in a POS tries his absolute best to smash into me and got w/in a 12"...I punched his window with my left fist to get his attention since the horn didn't work! "You ain't getting me that easily mother****er!"
:yuk:

LHC Kirby
04-20-2004, 08:31 PM
You got nothing on me!
I have twin boys that both started driving in the past month.:eek!:
and they never argue on who's turn it is to drive:argue:
Actually they drive pretty good, Word of advice to all of you who think you have 5-6 years. Start better driving habits NOW. They learn alot by watching you.
Oh yeah....start saving money for insurance now too...... $1500 DOLLAR INCREASE for 7 months coverage. We pay as long as grades and behavior are great - not good. and they are!:cool: :D

SoCalOffshore
04-20-2004, 08:41 PM
plan on car accidents. OUrs, crashed our Durango into our Cobra. All in our driveway!!

Scream
04-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by LHC Kirby
You got nothing on me!
I have twin boys that both started driving in the past month.:eek!:
and they never argue on who's turn it is to drive:argue:
Actually they drive pretty good, Word of advice to all of you who think you have 5-6 years. Start better driving habits NOW. They learn alot by watching you.
Oh yeah....start saving money for insurance now too...... $1500 DOLLAR INCREASE for 7 months coverage. We pay as long as grades and behavior are great - not good. and they are!:cool: :D
That's cool. I'm a twin and my sister and I shared a car till we got out of High School and I bought my own. Our insurance guy said it would be better to not buy a 16 year old a car right off the bat, but wait a year and that would help the insurance...We blew that right out the window...

Speedin' Ian
04-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Hey Fourspeed I see that you are originally from Camarillo and a gear head, did you ever go to the street races in Camarillo. I had a 5.0 with vortech, cam, intake, injectors, etc. that I used to run around a bit:D . However my first car was a pimped out 68 bug with a sticker on the back that said "Low and Slow," after someone rear ended me and totaled it I started driving Mustang, I"ve had four over the past six years.

Boozer
04-20-2004, 09:25 PM
My parents only bought me beaters. Wouldn't buy me a nice car. They said I wouldn't appreciate it if I didn't buy it.
I owned 4 cars and a crotch rocket before I turned 18.
When I got my first good at the time paying job I treated myself to a nice car. Also had my first accident in it. Forunately for me my mother was kind enough to put me on her policy at that point after I showed her my $13,500 for 6 months coverage policy renewal notice. Insurance company went and looked at the car after I wrecked it and seen the diesel sized turbo under the hood along with a million other performance mods and wanted me gone!
10 tickets, 3 license suspensions and 2 accidents later I decided it was time for a change. Plus having a sports car just wasnt practical for my lifestyle anymore.
I missed the weekends at the track so I bought a boat.
The boat doesn't give me the sense of power that 20 psi of boost did but it makes up for it in other ways i suppose.
So I say let them by their own nice car. They'll feel a lot worse after they wreck it and have to pay for their own mistake.

HCS
04-20-2004, 09:33 PM
When my Daughter got her license she needed a car.
This was 10 years ago. So I kick down my fresh painted 1981
Chevy Camaro. Cherry out of the box.
Two months later she slammed it head on into a tree.
Want to see pics? I'll dig em up.:eek:

fourspeednup
04-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
Hey Fourspeed I see that you are originally from Camarillo and a gear head, did you ever go to the street races in Camarillo. I had a 5.0 with vortech, cam, intake, injectors, etc. that I used to run around a bit:D . However my first car was a pimped out 68 bug with a sticker on the back that said "Low and Slow," after someone rear ended me and totaled it I started driving Mustang, I"ve had four over the past six years.
I was always around that scene for the last 2 years or so. Mostly around Oxnard at the In 'n Out though...the cad never ran but was a burnout machine and had flamethrowers and a tits stereo. Worked with a few 12 sec. 3rd gen camaro's that made some runs out there too. Did you run a hood on the stang? I remember a bad ass one out there last year.:cool:
Was thinking about doing a 5.0 but got bit by the boating bug last spring:D

Speedin' Ian
04-20-2004, 09:42 PM
It has been at least four years since I did any kind of racing, that is about how long it has been since I sold my last 'stang. Did have a hood, it was a real sleeper, all stock looking except for 1.5in lowering springs and a couple extra guages, and ofcourse the rough idle (big cam). After I sold it I bought a stock F-150 and my first flat bottom, both of which have now been replaced by newer and better versions. Did you go to Camarillo High? What year did you graduate? I graduated TOHS in 99.

fourspeednup
04-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Ventura High School----class of 03:cool:
Almost done with my freshman year at ASU now:cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2004, 10:23 PM
culver city high class of 87' also beauty college class of 88' :D :D

Kilrtoy
04-20-2004, 10:25 PM
MRS V
Arent you glad your a plumber, if you were a hairdresser you would have a bayliner.
Why arent you gone

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2004, 10:26 PM
gone where.. and I made good money doin hair,nails,and all that.. I wish I could go back it was fun.. :D :D

Kilrtoy
04-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Thought you were out to the river.
Im sure you did make good money, but not FLYINVEE money

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Thought you were out to the river.
Im sure you did make good money, but not FLYINVEE money
true.. I was getting 120 for a cut and die at the time. but now it is hourly.. :D

Kilrtoy
04-20-2004, 10:34 PM
True that biz has died, COMPETION over took the biz
I wish that would happen to the boat biz.
I remember 25 cuts in the 80's, now I pay 12

Drunk tank
04-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Well the trick is.. ya get an old CJ5 build it up on D60's, 42's, and a tuff ass cage but gear it waaaaay low. Then they can only do like a max of 60. Also, if they get in an accident... they win (probably just drive over em). If someone hits them... then the car will go underneath and take out the suspension and drivetrain rather than going through the door and into the passenger compartment.

Rexone
04-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I remember cruzin in my moms old caddie tub. Did a water burn out around a corner, motor mount broke and put da air cleaner right halfway through the hood.
Ma, I have no idea what happened. :confused: I just heard all this noise all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

DeltaSigBoater
04-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
Ventura High School----class of 03:cool:
Almost done with my freshman year at ASU now:cool:
holy shit... you graduated a year ago, now i do feel old, but the good news is i keep gettin' older and the chicks stay the same age :D

CrazyHippy
04-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Camarillo Street races... Now those are some memories:eek: :eek:
Haven't been out to those in 6 years??? damn time flys.
Used to do the Valley races off of Tampa Ave on Tues nights too.
BJH (Buena HS, Very little class of 97)

fourspeednup
04-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by CrazyHippy
Camarillo Street races... Now those are some memories:eek: :eek:
Haven't been out to those in 6 years??? damn time flys.
Used to do the Valley races off of Tampa Ave on Tues nights too.
BJH (Buena HS, Very little class of 97)
Oh, sorry to hear that---Buena high grad:D
My neighbor graduated that year, Jamie Cole:cool:

fourspeednup
04-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
holy shit... you graduated a year ago, now i do feel old, but the good news is i keep gettin' older and the chicks stay the same age :D
Can't wait till I'm 30, then I can get the chicks that are my age now!:D