PDA

View Full Version : Lexan sub enclosures

flat broke
04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Does anyone happen to have any info on the vendor that was doing the lexan sub enclosures at the L.A. Boat show?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

ROZ
04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Is the lexan sub enclosure going to power your boat?

flat broke
04-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Doh!
Man, you must lurk just a tad :) Actually, I would have dyno'd on the 27th, but that got pushed back till May, so with the extra time, I might as well do something usefull..... :D
Chris

Boozer
04-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Is a lexan sub enclosure going to hold up long term and sound good?
When I did car audio we did a lot of tinkering with plexiglass subenclosures but found that they were next to impossible to get to completely seal up and when you would seal them the seal wouldnt hold up very long. They also had a tendeancy to flex if you were running high power.
All in all they looked REALLY cool but leaked more then I cared for.

Bigyellowcat
04-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
you must not have used the right glue, or prepped it right.
most big fish tanks are glued together plexi and they dont leak and they take alot more stress then a sub could ever do.

Tom Brown
04-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
They also had a tendeancy to flex if you were running high power.
These are the least of their problems. Plastic sub box's only strength is their looks. They certainly are neat, though.

ROZ
04-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
These are the least of their problems. Plastic sub box's only strength is their looks. They certainly are neat, though.
There's nothing wrong with a little bling bling :D

Havasu Hangin'
04-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
There's nothing wrong with a little bling bling :D
Concrete is not "bling bling"?

Tom Brown
04-20-2004, 07:52 PM
I use a concrete box to hold my two 6 volt golf cart batteries.

ROZ
04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I use a concrete box to hold my two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
Cool , sounds like it'll double as cement shoes if you're ever in a bind :D

sorry dog
04-21-2004, 04:53 AM
What about a box made out of fine china that could double as a place setting??

flat broke
04-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Out of curiosity, how weak WOULD 3/4" lexan/acrylic be? I was thinking that if those glued joints can support 100s of gallons of water, they ought to be strong enough for a lowly little 12" square. Wood is fine and all, and I could even take it up a notch and use marine grade ply :) But I wasn't aware that the lexan deals were so notorious for problems.
Wood, resin, glass, and carpet it is.
Thanks,
Chris

Tom Brown
04-21-2004, 01:28 PM
It's not about strength. Steel plate is plenty strong but would be a terrible material choice.

Boozer
04-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Fish aquariums hold LOTS of pressure and the glue seems to hold it well. However, a fish aquarium is under a constant pressure so it would endure less stress then a subwoofer box due to the fact that subwoofer box stress is constantly changing.
Not to mention you would have to glue the subwoofer to the box to get it to seal around the edges of the sub.
I'm not saying that it would not work but its not a sure thing and it would take a LOT of extra work to make it a sure thing. Go buy yourself a sheet of 3/4 mdf some wood screws and some dum dum to seal up the inside. Easy to build and it's proven to hold up.

sorry dog
04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Why not use machine screws with nuts inserted in a recess in addition to the glue?

Boozer
04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by sorry dog
Why not use machine screws with nuts inserted in a recess in addition to the glue?
Because that would be ugly.

sorry dog
04-22-2004, 06:28 AM
You can never have too much chrome.

TOBTEK
04-22-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm actully having one made right now for the new LIMO golfcart(out of clear plexiglass). We will see how well it hold up. Its only for one 8" square kicker sub although, that fits under the front seat assembly..many thank you's to ROZ for his patience over my NON-STOP calling for volume measurements....BTW all the other parts have come in, the green L.E.D's are kick-ass cool! the front speaker pods are coming out great(they would be in for paint this weekend but HAVE TO go to Havasu this weekend;) . I'll shoot some pic's of the box when I get it back.....TEK