PDA

View Full Version : Service Tire Monitor

Budget Baller
04-20-2004, 06:50 PM
I just put some 22" wheels on a 2004 Suburban and now the "Service Tire Monitor" light comes on every time you start the car. I can push a button and it goes away, but why is it coming on, and how do I get it fixed? Thanks.

wsuwrhr
04-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Budget Baller
I just put some 22" wheels on a 2004 Suburban and now the "Service Tire Monitor" light comes on every time you start the car. I can push a button and it goes away, but why is it coming on, and how do I get it fixed? Thanks.
Your Sub probably has a flat tire monitor, the comp is sensing the different rolling diameter of the larger tire, another way to monitor(calculated) pressure without sensors INSIDE the tire.
Brian

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Nope wrong answer, your old wheels had radio transmitters in them which transmit your tire pressure. The new wheels don't have them. New for trucks in 04 but old from Corvette.

wsuwrhr
04-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Nope wrong answer, your old wheels had radio transmitters in them which transmit your tire pressure. The new wheels don't have them. New for trucks in 04 but old from Corvette.
Dammit, after our conversation last week, I used your knowledge to offer a possible solution.
Only I couldn't remember who I talked to about it. Getting old sucks. hahaha.
Good call Kachina.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Notice the probably at the beginning of the post.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Nope wrong answer,
Harsh, haha.
So what is the fix?
Brian

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm just razzing ya, if you had asked me the same question a week ago I would have given the same answer you did. I just learned about it myself.:D

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:27 PM
The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system warns the driver when a significant loss of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4 tires while the vehicle is being driven. The system uses the passenger door module (PDM), body control module (BCM), driver information center (DIC), instrument panel cluster (IPC), a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor inside each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions. When vehicle speed is less than 32 km/h (20 mph), the sensors go into stationary mode. In this mode the sensors transmit once every 60 minutes to minimize sensor battery consumption. As vehicle speed increases to above 32 km/h (20 mph) centrifugal force closes the sensor's internal roll switch causing the sensors to go into drive mode. In this mode, the sensor transmits once every 60 seconds. The PDM receives and translates the data contained in each sensor transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode and tire pressure. When the TPM system detects a significant loss of tire pressure, the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE warning message is displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure warning indicator is displayed on the IPC, which appears as a cross section of a tire with an exclamation mark inside. Both the DIC message and the IPC indicator can be cleared by adjusting tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi. Refer to Label - Vehicle Certification in General Information. The system does not display the individual tire pressures, or their location on the DIC, nor will it indicate which tire pressure is low. The sensor's pressure accuracy from -10 to +70°C (+14 to +158°F) is plus or minus 7 kPa (1 psi). The PDM has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunctions detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR warning message

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
So what is the fix?
Brian
Don't mess with the stock set up:D I don't know if the sensors can be transfered to new wheels, I haven't actually seen one yet.

wsuwrhr
04-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Don't mess with the stock set up:D I don't know if the sensors can be transfered to new wheels, I haven't actually seen one yet.
Baller, You are hatin' it. Comming from the man who fixes 'em.
Brian

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm just a grumpy old fart, I used to modify everything I owned. Now everything I own is stock, so much easier.

Kachina26
04-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Baller, I found some Prelim info bulletins on the subject but I need to pull up the whole thing at work tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Budget Baller
04-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Kachina,
Thanks for the help. I still have the stock wheels and tires, so if there is a transmitter in the wheels that needs to be swapped out, I will do it the next time the tires need to be changed. Maybe you can also tell me why the front end creaks now? Whenever I turn the wheels backing out of a parking space the front end makes a creaking sound. Nothing is rubbing, already checked that. Dam 22's, causing me problems but they sure look good!

Kachina26
04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
There is a bulletin that addresses issues of transmitters fitting inside of low pro tires, so they may not fit. Also the valve stem cap acts as an antenna so don't pitch the stock ones. Creakinig may be caused by the fact that you changed the original geometry of the front end. Try having the front end lubed.

Budget Baller
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks Kachina.
I will get the front end lubed and aligned next week. Going to Havasu tomorrow morning on the Harley, so no time to get her fixed. Appreciate all the input. I guess I will just keep pushing the button to turn it off.

Kachina26
04-21-2004, 08:03 PM
It's actually the valve stem, not really difficult to do check it out.
Tire Pressure Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure
Raise the vehicle on a suitable support. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the tire/wheel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Important
Before the tire is removed from the wheel, note the following items to avoid tire pressure sensor damage upon tire dismounting.
Place the sensors cap and valve on a dry clean surface after removal, the cap is aluminum and the valve is nickel plated to prevent corrosion and are not to be substituted with a cap or valve made of any other material.
When separating the tire bead from the wheel, position the bead breaking fixture 90 degrees from the valve stem.
Position the mounting/dismounting head so the tire iron, or pry bar can be Inserted slightly clockwise of the sensor body when prying the tire bead up and over the mounting/dismounting head.
Using the tire machine, rotate the tire/wheel assembly clockwise when transferring the tire bead to the out side of the wheel rim.
Repeat items for inner bead.
Remove the tire from the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting in Tires and Wheels.
Remove the tire pressure sensor nut.
Remove the tire pressure sensor.
Installation Procedure
Clean any dirt or debris from the grommet sealing area.
Insert the sensor in the wheel hole with the air passage facing away from the wheel.
Notice
Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
Install the sensor nut and position the sensor body parallel to the inside wheel surface while torquing. Tighten
Tighten the sensor nut to 7 N·m (62 lb in).
Important
Before reinstalling the tire on the wheel, note the following items to avoid tire pressure sensor damage upon tire mounting.
Position the mounting/dismounting head 180 degrees from the valve stem.
Position the bead transition area 45 degrees counter clockwise of the valve stem.
Using the tire machine, rotate the tire/wheel assembly clockwise when transferring the tire bead to the inside of the wheel rim.
Repeat items for outer bead.
Install the tire on the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting in Tires and Wheels.
Important
A service replacement tire pressure sensor is shipped in OFF mode. In this mode the sensors unique identification code cannot be learned into the passenger door modules (PDMs) memory. The sensor must be taken out of OFF mode by spinning the tire/wheel assembly above 32 km/h (20 mph) in order to close the sensors internal roll switch for at least 10 seconds.
Install the tire/wheel assembly on the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle.
Learn the tire pressure sensors. Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor Learn .

Budget Baller
04-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Kachina,
So basically what your telling me is the dip shit that put the new wheels on could have saved me all of this trouble had he used the stock valve stems?
I think I will wait until I need new tires before I go through the trouble of having 8 tires dismounted & re-mounted. No need to risk scratching the new shoes.
Thanks for all your help. :D

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Or just buy 4 new valve stems.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Kachina, thats what I call service,
Brian

Kachina26
04-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Budget Baller
Kachina,
So basically what your telling me is the dip shit that put the new wheels on could have saved me all of this trouble had he used the stock valve stems?
I think I will wait until I need new tires before I go through the trouble of having 8 tires dismounted & re-mounted. No need to risk scratching the new shoes.
Thanks for all your help. :D
I live to serve:D Has anyone seen the new wheels offered by GM in the 20" or better sizes? Some look pretty cool, not my thing but cool. I drove a Yukon with 24's man that rides like crap, looks good but man 50k for a ride like that? No thanks, I'll take mine stock please.

Kachina26
04-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Looks like this Mang
http://service.gm.com/engif/000/000/065/65674.gif

Froggystyle
04-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Sorry if this is old information, I have to get out of here and didn't read the whole post, but when I switched from my ZO6 wheels to the 19" Kinesis wheels on my Corvette, I had the same problem. I went on E-bay, ordered 4 sensors for $125 total with shipping and had the tires unmounted, installed the new valve stem sensors and bolted them back together. Problem solved.