PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Soldier Guards

Lightning
04-21-2004, 08:16 AM
I got this in an email and thought it was intereting....
Unknown Soldier Guards
1. How many steps does the guard take during his walk across the tomb of the Unknowns and why?
21 steps. It alludes to the twenty-one gun salute, which is the highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary.
2. How long does he hesitate after his about face to begin his return walk and why?
21 seconds for the same reason as answer number 1.
3. Why are his gloves wet? His gloves are moistened to prevent his losing his grip on the rifle.
4. Does he carry his rifle on the same shoulder all the time, and if not, why not?
He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb. After his march across the path, he executes an about face, and moves the rifle to the outside shoulder.
5. How often are the guards changed? Guards are changed every thirty minutes, twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year
6. What are the physical traits of the guard limited to?
For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb, he must be between 5' 10" and 6' 2" tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30".
Other requirements of the Guard: They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty for the rest of their lives.
They cannot swear in public for the rest of their lives and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way.
After two years, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn
The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin.
The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as they come to a halt.
There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror.
The first six months of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred. Among the notables are: President Taft, Joe E. Lewis {the boxer} and Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy, {the most decorated soldier of WWII}of Hollywood fame.
Every guard spends five hours a day getting his uniforms ready for guard duty.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/guardin-rain.jpg

Drunk tank
04-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Interesting... too bad I have a 38" waist and like booze :)

Dr. Eagle
04-21-2004, 08:40 AM
It is an exceptional honor to serve as a guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I would not have the discipline to do what they have to do.

Scream
04-21-2004, 08:41 AM
One of the most impressive ceremonies I've ever whitnessed. Even kids stand in awe of the pomp and solemness.

spectratoad
04-21-2004, 08:42 AM
I went to the cemetary and watched the soldiers at the tomb. A very sobering experience. I did not know about the lifetime commitment though after the two years of service. Must be pretty tough for these kids to understand the lifetime commitment.

OGShocker
04-21-2004, 10:51 AM
More information here! (http://www.mdw.army.mil/OLDGUARD/Specialty%20Platoons/tomb_guard.htm)

mirvin
04-21-2004, 11:05 AM
That's pretty heavy stuff. It seems like the 30" waist is a little extreme though. Who the heck's got a 30" waist???;)
mirvin

OGShocker
04-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
Who the heck's got a 30" waist???;)
mirvin
18 year old men who run 100 miles a week.

mirvin
04-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
18 year old men who run 100 miles a week.
Ok, so how about when they turn 35 and realize their wasts have ballooned to a disgusting 31 inches? Do they have to forfit thier pins? Oh well, might as well have a drink then too:D
mirvin

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 04:00 PM
I have a 30 waist. My wife buys me 31-32's cause I think she hates it. They fall off my ass.
Humbling reading the commitment guards must make. Pretty serious. I bet there is a list of people wanting to serve.
What do the notables have to do with the Tomb Of The Unknowns? Sounds disrespectful to the Unknowns.
I have always wanted to see the Wall. Someday.
Hopefully we don't have to erect one for the war in iraq.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 04:03 PM
EXCELLENT post BTW.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
More information here! (http://www.mdw.army.mil/OLDGUARD/Specialty%20Platoons/tomb_guard.htm)
Talk about anticlimactic,
damn link dont work.
Brian

Scream
04-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
That's pretty heavy stuff. It seems like the 30" waist is a little extreme though. Who the heck's got a 30" waist???;)
mirvin
I HAD a 30" waist when I was 8.

mike37
04-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Didn’t they have orders to stop there guard duty on 9/11 due to the fact that there may be a terrorist attack on the tomb
but all the guards stayed at there post any way
it would have bin the first time in history that the tomb was not guarded

H20bug
04-21-2004, 06:01 PM
cool thread!!!!:D
Having served in the 3rd U.S. Inf. ( The Old guard) AND guarded the tomb of the unknown Soldier durning the night I have this to add:
1.) I am 6' - 6" tall When I was stationed there, there were "Three" diffrent shifts, each progressivly taller---for instance on the shift I worked, everyone was over 6' 2".
2.) Swearing off alcohol? my best friend was a Holder of the tomb guard badge, we drank beer all the time. for Life, I dont think so!!!!!!
Unless things Have changed, I have a hard time believing that... I was there!
Having said that, the courage , honor & Selfless service that they provided, was beyond Words!!! I have had no greater honor in my life, than to serve in the old guard, and to have known the men who serve "America's unknown Hero's"!!!!!!:)
May god Bless all who serve!!! Keep the powder dry & DRIVE ON!!!!!!!!!
Cpl. smith May1987 --- june 1991 E.Company

CA Stu
04-21-2004, 06:35 PM
That sounds more realistic.
I thought at the end of that first post there was going to be something about having the power of invisibility and the ability to control people's minds.
Gotta love the internet.
You are feeling verrryyyy sleeeepppyyy....
CA Stu

cheezpanel
04-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I was at Arlington in '99 and saw the changing of the guard. Everyone watching is silent and attentive. It's an unbelievable experience. The Vietnam Memorial is also very sobering. Also, the Korean Memorial at night is eerie. I have the utmost respect for those guys...for anyone who serves our great country for that matter. Great thread!

mike37
04-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by mike37
Didn’t they have orders to stop there guard duty on 9/11 due to the fact that there may be a terrorist attack on the tomb
but all the guards stayed at there post any way
it would have bin the first time in history that the tomb was not guarded
this is what i was thinking of
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Guards undaunted by Hurricane Isabelle
I don't know if you saw this in the news but it really impressed me. Funny,
our US Senate/House took 2 days off as they couldn't work.
On the ABC evening news, it was reported tonight that, because of the dangers from Hurricane Isabelle approaching Washington DC, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment.
They refused. "No way, Sir!"
Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson.
The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

OGShocker
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Thank you for your service!
Originally posted by H20bug
cool thread!!!!:D
Having served in the 3rd U.S. Inf. ( The Old guard) AND guarded the tomb of the unknown Soldier durning the night I have this to add:
1.) I am 6' - 6" tall When I was stationed there, there were "Three" diffrent shifts, each progressivly taller---for instance on the shift I worked, everyone was over 6' 2".
2.) Swearing off alcohol? my best friend was a Holder of the tomb guard badge, we drank beer all the time. for Life, I dont think so!!!!!!
Unless things Have changed, I have a hard time believing that... I was there!
Having said that, the courage , honor & Selfless service that they provided, was beyond Words!!! I have had no greater honor in my life, than to serve in the old guard, and to have known the men who serve "America's unknown Hero's"!!!!!!:)
May god Bless all who serve!!! Keep the powder dry & DRIVE ON!!!!!!!!!
Cpl. smith May1987 --- june 1991 E.Company

H20bug
04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
mike 37
absolutely correct !!!!!!!!!

H20bug
04-21-2004, 07:08 PM
thank you O.G. Shocker!!! , that is very kind of you.
DUTY....Honor...Country!!!:)

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 07:43 PM
You guys are making me proud to be an American.
H20bug, I am honored to be in the same area of cyberspace as you. Thank you for your service. If we ever meet, I want to shake your hand.
As well as anyone else in the service of our country. Especially overseas.
I am guessing dedication to the Unknowns for the ultimate sacrifice they made for our country. Is this the purpose of the 24/7 guard.
No disrespect intended, I was just wondering why it was started, and when.
From someone born in the 70's I wasn't "conscious" until I went to high school.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Link works, maybe it was operator error. I found all my answers, serious subjects.
Semper Fi
Brian