PDA

View Full Version : Prop info.

Speedin' Ian
04-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I took an inventory of the props we have collected and was wondering if you guys can tell me anything about them. Are they old? Are they good or bad? Do people still use them? etc...
Austra 12X15 3 blade
Precision #3277 2 blade
Stellings F47876 11.5X15 2 blade
Menkens #588 11X16 2 blade
And we are running another menkins 11X16 2 blade on the Cole right now but I am too lazy to crawl under the boat to get the numbers. We had it reworked and it seems to work pretty good, but the only other prop I've tried is the Stellings. Do you think I should try the other ones or is it a waist of time? What do you think the three blade is good for? Pops has a Mastercraft and we are thinking about trying it on that to see if it lowers his rpm's at cruising speed.

ACCEPTENCE
04-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Mastercraft prop on which boat Ian???
Three blade on the mastercraft and two blade on the flats.
I am confused.

Speedin' Ian
04-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't think the three blade will work well on either of our flats so I was wondering if my dad can use it on his Mastercraft. Yes like SNMike we have a tournament boat that we use at the Kingsriver, where it is too shallow to use the I/O. I was wondering if any of the two blades will work well on the Cole.

Jordy
04-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
Yes like SNMike we have a tournament boat that we use at the Kingsriver, where it is too shallow to use the I/O.
I'm thinking if it's too shallow for an I/O I'm sure not going to take my v-drive there. You can always trim the outdrive up to avoid the bottom, but there's a lot of valuable hardware hanging down in a permanent position on a v-drive, be it a flat, cruiser, or wake making boat. :D

T-Bag
04-21-2004, 01:48 PM
I don't think the three blade will work well on either of our flats so I was wondering if my dad can use it on his Mastercraft. Yes like SNMike we have a tournament boat that we use at the Kingsriver, where it is too shallow to use the I/O. I was wondering if any of the two blades will work well on the Cole.
Try the precision you might like it!!!!

Speedin' Ian
04-21-2004, 01:49 PM
I could easily take the I/O up there, been going so long I know where the shallow spots are. The problem is when you take off in an I/O the ass end squats so bad and there would be spots where Icouldn't take off, in the v-drive/direct drive it doesn't do that as bad. Have never had a problem running any of our v-drives or Mastercraft there, however if you've never been there and don't know the bottom be careful, can't tell you how many boats I've puleed off sandbars there.

Speedin' Ian
04-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Will do T-bag, is there anyway I can check these things for cracks. I don't have time to get them into the prop shop before Needles and we all know what can happen if you throw and ear.:eek!:

T-Bag
04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Will do T-bag, is there anyway I can check these things for cracks. I don't have time to get them into the prop shop before Needles and we all know what can happen if you throw and ear.:eek!: Go to a welding supply store and they should carry a penetrant and a developer that is design for dye checking metal for cracks. they also sell a cleaner too but brake clean works the same and is cheaper... clean 1st srpay with penetrant 2nd let sit for a couple mins. wipe off and spray the developer on and any cracks should show up as a red hair line.. If you can't figure it out I'll have the stuff with me and ck it for you....we arrive Sun eve.

Speedin' Ian
04-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks T-bag I'll try and get that stuff before Needles, don't want to waist other peoples stuff. I have another prop that is on the hondo, so I might take that one also. We've had this Cole for a couple years now and have never really gotten the top end numbers that we were expecting. I think we worked out a lot of the problems so we are looking forward to running it next week. We'll be there early Wed. morning, can't wait!!!

ACCEPTENCE
04-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Ian,
Call Tommy Lee in Sun Valley just off the I-5 & Lankershim. He can mag it for you. He uses the electonic dy and a black lite deal. I think the cost is around twenty bucks.
Cheap insurance...

Rick James
04-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ACCEPTENCE
Ian,
Call Tommy Lee in Sun Valley just off the I-5 & Lankershim. He can mag it for you. He uses the electonic dy and a black lite deal. I think the cost is around twenty bucks.
Cheap insurance...
Dammmmmmmm,,
Aint that da dude dat be pokin Pam Anderson? He aint got no stuff to be checkin props you bucket head