PDA

View Full Version : Remote

phebus
04-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Roz, or anyone else that can help, I would like to run a Sony wired remote from an Alpine head unit. What do I need, where can I get it, how much, and how hard?
Thanks

phebus
04-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Roz told me that this is what I need to run a wired remote from an Alpine head unit: Access Technologies Sony type remote
PAC IR adaptor SC-1. He thought West Marine sold them, but I looked in their catalog, and called them and no luck. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Coach
04-22-2004, 07:50 PM
I found this place doing a search
PAC stuff (http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/remotes.htm)

phebus
04-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks, I didn't see what I need on their site, but I will call them. On the searches I have done, I find products by PAC, but again, not the unit I am looking for. It is for Marine applications, and there aren't many people dealing in them.

BoatFloating
04-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Rick, I told you I'd give you the info slow down......:D
Go Here (http://www.pac-audio.com/products/marine.htm)

phebus
04-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks Rocky. That is the information Roz gave me. I was looking for a place to purchase from. I went through the list of dealers on their site, and didn't see one that stocked the unit and was wondering if someone knew where I could get one.

Hustler
04-23-2004, 01:22 PM
I bought mine from Overtons

phebus
04-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
I bought mine from Overtons
Couldn't find it on their website :(

BoatFloating
04-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Rick, as much as I doing for you you could of bought my boat and had 2 remotes;) Remote (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/MRC2.html) This place sells the remote only. I think PAC also sells the remote and the kit for Alpine together.
Overtons don't carry the remote anymore.

Rocky
04-26-2004, 09:11 PM
I have a sony head unit with 10 disc changer. Will the Access tech remote plug right in to the head unit, or do I need a splitter as I heard they plug into the changer port?

BoatFloating
04-26-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
I have a sony head unit with 10 disc changer. Will the Access tech remote plug right in to the head unit, or do I need a splitter as I heard they plug into the changer port?
The Access Tech doesn't use the changer port it only uses the remote DIN plug. The round Sony unit the XM10 uses the unilink port (changer port).

69 Elim
04-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Need a little help -
I am looking at the Sony CDX-F5700 cd player
also, the Sony CDX-757MX changer
Question - will the Access Tech Remote work with this? Is there 2 Access Tech Remotes (if so, which one?) Also, other than the wire, it there any other adapter required? or anything else required?
Would you recommend a different setup?
I will be purchasing very soon and have been looking at prices online.
Thanks.

BoatFloating
05-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by 69 Elim
Need a little help -
I am looking at the Sony CDX-F5700 cd player
also, the Sony CDX-757MX changer
Question - will the Access Tech Remote work with this? Is there 2 Access Tech Remotes (if so, which one?) Also, other than the wire, it there any other adapter required? or anything else required?
Would you recommend a different setup?
I will be purchasing very soon and have been looking at prices online.
Thanks.
The CDX-F5700 is a good head unit and it has 3 preouts for amps and it also has the remote plug in. The changer you are getting is a great piece also. Plays MP3's has a 12 second memory and that's great on water, it's the same changer I have. The Access Tech remote comes in Black or White and that's your only choices. No special adapter needed. You'll need a extension cable for the remote so you can run it over to head unit and the come in different sizes 6' - 30'.
You can find all your needs here Remotes and Cables (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/cgi-bin/store/MRC2.html) Good luck...

TOBTEK
05-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Roz, or anyone else that can help, I would like to run a Sony wired remote from an Alpine head unit. What do I need, where can I get it, how much, and how hard?
Thanks
PHEBUS...........sorry, I dont mean to bust your bubble. BUT I orig had the PAC I/R system linked to my sony/ acc tech remote to the Premier head unit. It worked awesome in the garage, BUT wouldnt work AT ALL in the sun! in direct sun light the I/R couldnt be read. I tried shielding the I/R, tried to run the I/R wire inside the headunit cover.....tried everything. the only way it got the remote to work was take out my super trick head unit and install a sub-standard sony unit that is now HARD WIRED to the access tech remote. The best place I mounted the PAC device was the trash can:)

phebus
05-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'd rather hear it doesn't work before I buy it, then to find out it won't work after spending my money on it.

ROZ
05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Like I said. It doesn't work well in direct sunlight unless the repeater is mounted ON the faceplate's IR sensor. If the headunit is under the deck and out of the sun, it will work as well.
Toby's didn't work due to user error. That and that he never has any fresh blueberry bagles :p ;) :D

TOBTEK
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Like I said. It doesn't work well in direct sunlight unless the repeater is mounted ON the faceplate's IR sensor. If the headunit is under the deck and out of the sun, it will work as well.
Toby's didn't work due to user error. That and that he never has any fresh blueberry bagles :p ;) :D
bullllllllshitttttttt...cough,cough. ONE WORD ANSWER.....HARDWIRE! ya gotta hardwired it.

phebus
05-03-2004, 05:48 PM
What is the reccomended Sony head unit to go with? Rather than spend money on the PAC IR adapter and find myself unhappy with it, I'd probably be better off spending more and getting something that works great from the start and selling my Alpine head unit. My only problem would be if the Alpine XM radio unit would work with the Sony head unit. Roz?

BoatFloating
05-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Rick, Sony won't work with the Alpine XM. I personaly think that XM is a waste IMO. I know Toby said that Sony is a sub standard units but I've had good luck with them. I've been super happy with my MP70 and is unskipable. Matter of fact that's all I've every had in my boats is Sony head units. I deify any one can tell me the difference is sound quality between a Sony and a top of the line Alpine. To me it doesn't make sense to pay big bucks for a expensive head unit that does the same thing as a $250 Sony.
Here is a nice unit. (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-44xpMmndHdP/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=158F7700&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=sony) You can get them at different places for $250. Like Etronics (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=soncdxf7700) For $199.99 Plays MP3's is better than XM.

69 Elim
05-04-2004, 08:02 AM
hey thanks for the info guys - just ordered my parts, can't wait till they come in so I can install them and hit the water.
Thanks again for the help!!!

mbrown2
05-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
I know Toby said that Sony is a sub standard units but I've had good luck with them. I've been super happy with my MP70 and is unskipable. Matter of fact that's all I've every had in my boats is Sony head units. I deify any one can tell me the difference is sound quality between a Sony and a top of the line Alpine. To me it doesn't make sense to pay big bucks for a expensive head unit that does the same thing as a $250 Sony.
Ditto...I am running Sony Headunits in two boats, and they work great....If we are talking SQ in a closed setting, some techy might be able to tell the diff, but floating and running in open water, my headunit at the same volume levels as my buddies Clarion units sound the same...my .02

TOBTEK
05-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Ditto...I am running Sony Headunits in two boats, and they work great....If we are talking SQ in a closed setting, some techy might be able to tell the diff, but floating and running in open water, my headunit at the same volume levels as my buddies Clarion units sound the same...my .02
id agree with both of you guys on S/Q....BUT I've PERSONALY broken more sony products than I care to remember. AND I know its coming.....if you hate the stuff why did you keep getting sony? the answer....it was SUPER inexpensive threw a buddy that worked at sony. All my sony tv's (XBR 36" flatscreen) broken...VCR's broken, headunits....broken......phone's....broken
I just personally think the quality ISNT there! NOW, that said I bought some bling'ing SONY headunit and Tony/westcoat NOW at ELIMINATOR boats installed this over the winter. So far its been good, sounds good, and the access tech remotes works because its HARDWIRED to the sony headunit:D

BoatFloating
05-04-2004, 05:39 PM
I've heard the stories but I've been lucky. Hope your Sony luck changes Toby ;)

TOBTEK
05-04-2004, 05:57 PM
...Originally posted by BoatFloating
I've heard the stories but I've been lucky. Hope your Sony luck changes Toby ;)
me too......although it was intermitent at Havasu a few weeks back. Do you think it could have been the constant pounding and clearing the doubles or maybe the non-stop gallons of water coming over the front and into my face:eek!: as they they said in the move JAWS...."I think we need a bigger boat":D

BoatFloating
05-04-2004, 06:18 PM
It must of been the unit. If it wasn't big enough to sink ya then it should of played the whole time ;)